Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I know that you do not have to commit yourself to a full year if you don't wish to...and if you do sign the contract, you can back out of it..(with a penalty of course). I so far have really enjoyed Curves...it is quick and easy, and the members are all there for the same thing...It is not a pick up joint..(Obviously with just women...lol) It is just normal people trying to get in an exercise routine...at least that is my observation. And I have yet to see someone in a tight little t-bar type outfit!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 12:56

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up I loooooove Curves!

Just to put my 2 cents worth in...

I joined Curves in April of this year when one opened up in my town. Our hours are decent and the majority of the staff is great (a few slackers...). In fact, the owner opened up 2 Curves shops b/c it worked for her! There is also another employee who lost 80+ lbs. doing the Curves routine.

Anyhoo, I didn't lose any weight, I actually gained 5 lbs., but I only gained muscle (results from BMI meter) and I lost significant inches. Now, with LCing and going to Curves, it's falling off much faster!

The circuit training thing isn't for everyone as people do get bored, but I enjoy not having to worry about moving to different rooms to take care of different things-- as you'd have to do in some larger gyms. Plus, no spandex or guys gawking is a big bonus!

Good luck to everyone!

Nikki
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:00

Plan: Curves
Stats: 145/145/128
BF:24
Progress: 0%
Default Curves

I recently joined Curves for Women in my area....I absolutely LOVE IT!! I am a student, so I am only committed for 5 months and it only cost me $150!

Anyways, I have a question. 3 weeks of the month I live in one location and go to Curves in that city....I stay in another city 1 week per month....during that one week am I allowed to go to another Curves besides the one I signed up at??

Please reply!!! Someone!!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I know that for me, I can just ask for a pass to go to different Curves...I would imagine that the Curves in the East is the same...But why don't you ask at your Curves just to be sure...
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 00:16

I think tomorrow I'll just show up at the other location and see if they let me in or not. hehe
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 06:40

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I have a flyer that states "Membership is honoured at more than 2,500 Curves locations" - you can go anywhere in Canada, US, Spain & Mexico.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:04

BF:
I think my 'home' Curves issues people a traveling pass to use at other Curves shops while their on vacation, traveling or due to schedule conflicts, etc.

I know my friend signed up at the Curves near her work to use during the week, but she uses the Curves near her house on the weekends w/no problem.

Each location may handle things a little differently, but I'm pretty positive that you can use your membership at various locations as long as you use your 'home' Curves most frequently.

Happy workout!

Nikki
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:49

thankyou for your replies...i am on my way over there right now!!!

ok, scrap that....i am going in an hour...they are closed for lunch right now. hehe
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 06:02

Plan: Gary Heavin-Curves for Women
Stats: 152/138/120
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default regarding curves

I have been with curves for 6 months. I really enjoy it. The hours that Curves has set in our area have evenings and early mornings, which makes it really nice. You go when you can and do not have to wait for a class to start. You do 30 min on the machines and then you are done. They have aeorobic and weight resistant machines. You go in a rotation and do 30 sec on each machine. I have lost 15 lbs and 17 inches. They also promote high protein low carb and they have their own book and guidlines. Which I have also been following for about 3 months. I would encourage you to try it atleast. It has been great for me.

Hope this helps, If you have any other questions let me know.

Amy
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Glycemic Index Diet
Stats: 184.5/167.5/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I've been going to Curves for about 5 months. The first two months I gained 3 pounds and was pretty discouraged, but I stuck with it. The 4th month the weight started falling off. I go 3-4 times per week and have lost 24 pounds, which includes 11 pounds of body fat. I have been at this weight before, but I was not able to wear the size I do right now. This type of exercise has made all the difference. I like the fact that the workout is only 30 minutes, that way no matter how I feel, I know I only have to stick it out for a half hour. I have also noticed that I have more energy and don't get winded as easily. It's a great program!!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 08:06

Plan: Gary Heavin-Curves for Women
Stats: 152/138/120
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Question for Curve Members

Has anyone who has been going to Curves used their low carb diet. It is outlined in the book you receive. If there is anyone I have a question on it. I have been at my weight for about a month now and it says in the book to start eating again to speed up your metabolism, just for a few days and then start back on the low carb. Has anyone had to do that and has it worked?
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:25

Plan: PP
Stats: 291.5/242/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

I joined CFW because of the short workout.

I work from 8:45 till 2:15, so I don't get a full 1 hr lunch break.

I can't excersise before work (2 small children) and I can't excersise after work because I'm picking up those 2 small children.

So I take a 45 min lunch and I get there & back in that time. The first month I lost 5 inches from my stomach area!

I like the people and I like the workout. Since it is only a 30min workout, I give it all I've got and it's working.

I did pay a $100 startup fee (This is Canada) and I pay 39$ per month.

I was paying almost that anyway for a traditional gym membership that I was not attending. So I've canceled that and I go to Curves 4-5 x per week.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:32

BF:
Exclamation

I went in to Curves yesterday to do my regular workout and they got a new machine! YAY! This machine specifically works your oblique muscles- and boy does it ever!

Just thought I'd share that and to see if this machine has done anything for those of you who may have been using it for a while. My mid-section is the big trouble maker- I am losing in my hips and waist, but not much (if any) in the ab region.

Anyhoo- Happy Curving!

Nikki
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:14

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I'm really looking forward to joining Curves - the one near my work opens next Monday and I have my assessment then. The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is the fact that there isn't any shower facilities - hopefully it won't be too much of an issue, but I know when I've done aerobics in the past, I'm pretty drenched and very very red - has anyone else had to deal with this? I'll be going on my lunch hour then back to work for the rest of the day.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:34

I am also a very sweaty/red-faced exerciser, but at Curves I never get that. I always feel like I've gotten a good workout, but I never leave looking as worn out as I did when I used to go to aerobics. Actually, at my Cruves location there are 2 showers, but they don't get used. I've never seen anyone leave concerned about showering first. Actually, this is probably the main reason why I like Curves so much.