Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 08:47

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

I think 4 times a week is probably okay. I wouldn't do any more because I would save that for if you get into a stall. Personally, I would go 5 - 6 times a week for two weeks if I was in a stall to boost my metabolism, then go back to what I was regularily doing.

Just my personal opinon tho'. But 4 times a week versus 3 times, I wouldn't worry.

Alena.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 13:32

Plan: different ones
Stats: 312/219/190
BF:40 %
Progress: 76%
Wink

HI Cats... Congratulations on your new way of life... Curves is the place to be. I went 5 times a week when I could and I believe that the more times you go the better.Keep up the good work and drink plenty of water. If you need to email me please do at jannywanny~earthlink.net
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/195/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 12%
Default Thanks!

Thanks guys -

I really do love the work out. I think I had a sub standard introduction to the program however. The staff person had her little 2-3 year old with her and it was very disruptive. All she did was have me fill out the paperwork - measured and wieghed me. Then on my first workout the girl who trained me was pretty good at helping me understand the right way to do the machines. But didn't mention anything about intensity. I was giving it my all on the aroebic stations where as I should have been giving it on the machines and recovering at the aroebic stations. I learned that on the website. Oh well - I love it anyway. I really stink when I get out of there! I'll probably need to go 5 times a week after my vacation! My hubby & I are off for the next 2 wks starting Mon. Yippeeee!! We are taking our Boys on several day trips here & there. Anybody ever lc at Six Flags!!!!!! heehee - Have a great day - Cats
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question Curves for women

I'm thinking about joining Curves this weekend. Is it a good place for me to start? I hope there's some other big women there. At least theres no men. ha ha I'll see them in a year or too! ha ha Does anyone else go there. I've never been to a healt club before. Thanks in advance.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wanna, I moved your post to the General Exercise Forum. If you click on the link below you'll see that there is a pretty active discussion going on here on this very topic. It should answer your questions

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=32357

Nat
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 13:48

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Does anyone know of a Curves in Toronto? I looked at their website but nothing gives me Canada.

Thanks - This is the first time i'd ever heard of Curves
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:06
Registered Member

Wanna - Curves is the best place to start. There are women of all shapes and sizes and I think they must have banned spandex or something because I've not seen anyone in that intimidating wear. All the women at my curves are really supportive. We all are there for the same thing It goes so quick and I get almost euphoric (sp?) when working out. I like walking in but I love walking out! I feel refreshed and ready to go. I even feel fit! Good luck and I am sure that if you try it you will be hooked!! Cats
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%

I totally agree with Cats.
Their website is www.curvesforwomen.com
Click on franchise locations, the second map is Canada. click on your province and you will get a list of locations in that province by city.
Alena.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 07:32

Stats: 240/180/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Curves....

Hello, everyone. I like Curves because there is no impact (except when marching in place). I have degenerative arthritis and have to be very careful about my joints.

After my first month at Curves I lost 4% body fat. Then after a couple more months I had lost 3% more. In between I had had an arthritis flare up and I really thought I would not see a loss - but I did and I'm really happy about that!!!

There are women there who are every shape and size - some days I actually feel thin!!!

#40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 06:22

Plan: Atkins, Simeons protocol
Stats: 285/197/165 Female 5'3
BF:45/39
Progress: 73%

Hi I am glad I found this thread. I have been going to curves since April of this year, and I love it. I only go 3 times a week and spend 30 min on their machines and a few minutes stretching. I have fibromyalgia, thought that it would effect it for the worse, but so far my muscles are alot more limber and my stamina is much improved. I haven't got measured in a few months. But the last time they measured me. I had lost 3 inches of my waist, I was impressed. And what I like about it is I don't feel like I am beating myself all up. you go at your pace.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:23
Registered Member

Default I'm Back

Hi everyone -

I am back from vacation and happy to report that I met all of my works outs for the entire two weeks. I am didn't stick completly to lc during that time but I kept up my work outs and didn't gain anything. Didn't loose anything either - but at least I didn't gain! Hope everyone is doing well! Cats
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 16:30

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 226/226/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

i joined a exercise program just for woman only,called contours, its almost the same as curves, and i really enjoy it but i do tend to get bored, so i started jazzercise and i just love it, and i try to alternate days, on the days that i dont go to contours i go to jazzercise, even thought ive not lost any weight, i reallly just feel better, i started the adkins diet 2 weeks ago and lost and regained but iam not giving up. diann
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 23:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/164/140
BF:
Progress:
Default curves for women

Last month an exercise chain called curves for women opened in our town. I was wondering if anyone had used them and if they had results. I am a little bored with my routine and thought about trying it out. Thanks
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 15:06
Registered Member

Stats: 180/170/160
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Curves

They just opened a Curves in my area. Has anybody tried it and if so what is your opinion?
Are you able to sign up month to month ar do you have to commit to a year? I am bad on commitment. I have done it a few times and end up losing money because I don't go.
I know I am bad in this area but that's jus me. At least I don't fool myself.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 11:37

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

I tried a Curves here in Florida for about 8 months. I had several issues:

1. Got bored with the routine
2. The hours were awful
3. Local management of ours wasn't very good. Anything to save a penny and it was HOT in there and sometimes they didn't even turn on the lights!

I'm sure some are better than others - but the one here wasn't a good experience.