Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 153.5/145/120
BF:36%/33%/29%
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Curves supporter

Hi everybody,

I have been going to the Curves in my neighbourhood since Feb 26/02 and I LOVE IT. The hours for my location are Monday to Friday 7am til 8 pm, and Saturdays til noon. The program was designed to meet the needs (diet and fitness) of the overweight (or not!) busy woman.

It is franchise owned, so I guess your gym is as good as your franchise owner.

I think its great that there are no men, no leotards, no potentially annoying instructors...

I think it is great that you can drop in any time.... not just when the 'class starts'. The machines are not boring, the music is always changing, and it is great to meet lots of interesting women and talk (sort of) while you do the circuit.

The founders (Gary and Diane Heavin) have written a book about their program, and in it was my first intro to low carbing! I was on the 20g per day 'diet' for two weeks, and now am eating between 40 to 60 grams per day...... The Curves center offers a six week support (one session per week) to introduce the 'diet', to help with FAQ, menues, recipes... and offers peer to peer encouraging feedback.

Since Feb 26, I have lost a total of 14 1/2 inches and six pounds.

I think they(Curves) may have saved my life!

Pat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 06:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I guess the franchises aren't all the same. There's a Curves For Women close to where I work so I went yesterday to check it out hoping that I could do the workout on my lunch hour. I only talked to the woman briefly and set up an appointment for next week to sit down and go over the program, but when I told her that I had been low carbing for about a year she went on an on about how 40% of what I've lost is probably muscle mass since I haven't been doing weight resistance training with it. I know that this isn't true since I've been eating plenty of protein and it isn't metabolically efficient for our bodies to consume it's own muscle in the presence of adequate dietary protein, but I was on my lunch hour and didn't have the time to debate her about it and I know from how I look and feel that I haven't lost 25 lbs. of muscle. Still...I'm looking forward to doing the weight resistance training; it looks like fun!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%

Does anyone know if Curves has reached the Los Angeles area??? Sound like the type of gym I could get into. I have a Bally's about 5 blocks away, but the people that go there don't look to me like they need to work out! All these great bodies coming in and out of there! I just want to go somewhere where a couple of 20 year olds aren't pointing at me and saying, "See, that's why I don't want to have kids!"
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 219/216/175
BF:
Progress: 7%

I joined a Curves in NJ about 1 month ago. I LOVE the workout. As a new Mom, I have very little time to go to the gym and workout. I am out and back in less than an hour including travel time. I know they are all individually owned, so each location has different hours. I responded to a "coupon" and was able to get a free week as well as a $40 initiation fee (not $75). I signed up for a year at 29$/mo. You can get out of the contract if need be. I will be measured on Tuesday. I know it's been working , as my pants button for the first time since I gave birth in February!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/195/130
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

Way to go Jill, keep up the good work! And remember, inches are as important as pounds My last measure, I weighed the same, but had lost 6 inches.Best of luck to you.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 219/216/175
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thank you so much. Congrats to you! What amazing stats. How great do you feel : )??? How long have you been LCing??? I would love to hear your success story!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 22:16

Stats: 260/195/130
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

You are welcome Jill and thank you too! I have been LCing for 1 year (start May16,2001) and have NEVER felt better! As a matter of fact, I had no idea I felt SO badly before locarb The greatest thing for me , so far, is being more active, correction, WANTING to be more active and having the energy and stamina to do so many more fun things.One day I will write "my" story, though it is not exciting or different from any others here, but it works for me LOL.
Well, continued good luck with LC and with Curves Talk to you later..................Amy
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 19:06

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 196/194/128
BF:42%
Progress: 3%

Hey Rachel,
I just started Curves so I can't make a long term statement but Ido like it so far... I know the hours can be hard for some people but it works out for me.
I've never been a really disciplined exerciser before and this helps me with some accountability.
I hope you give it a try... can't hurt! I find the staff really supportive.
Good luck
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 07:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up Drumroll please....

I go to Curves too. I manage to squeeze it in after work and right before I pick up my daughter. Perfect for me.
I've been a member since the end of February. Didn't really go too regularly because I was getting sick from my daughter. (Oh the joys of having a kid in daycare!)

Just got weighed and measured last week (one of things I really love about Curves) and since I joined, I've lost 15 pounds and 9 inches. The atmosphere is really supportive and I love it there.

Since they are all francises, each is a bit different in hours. I just wish they were open on Sundays when my daughter is with her father. Saturdays are tooooo busy for me.

If you're thinking about joining, they have a website, www.curvesforwomen.com. Check it out for more info and locations.

Lolabug.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 22:45

Plan: Permanent Results without Permanent Dieting
Stats: 211/174/150
BF:
Progress: 61%
Smile Curves

As a manager of Curves for Women, I have seen results. As in any exercise program, you have to exercise to get results, not just become a member. You must commit to at least 3 times a week to see results.

We are very excited about hitting that 100 mark soon! I have one member that has lost 92 pounds and 70 inches in the last year. She joined July of 2001 and by the end of July 2002 she will be down 100 POUNDS!

Curves is FAST, FUN AND EFFECTIVE. You get a TOTAL body work out in just 30 minutes. The machines are hydraulic resistance, so anyone can do it.

If you have one near you, check it out!

Califsue
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 201/195/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 12%

Glad I found this thread! I have been thinking about joing Curves for the last couple of months. I am walking but My shins are killing me. I am going in on Sat to check it out. Thanks for the info everyone. PS Our's cost $140 Registration Fee and $29*- per month. They are having a 1/2 off sale so Registration is now right at the $74-75 amt. Thanks Cats
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 23:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/260/180
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Curves for Women

I've been going to curves just over a month now. I have lost 8.5 iinches. I love it that I don't have to figure out what exercise/machine to do next. I recommend this gym, not only for that, but also for the fact that it is women only which makes me more comfortable. Brianna
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 00:18

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I have been looking for something besides my hiking...I just came across this thread, and thought this would be perfect for me. I found the closest one to me, and will be calling them on Monday to set up an appointment to try it out!

Thanks everyone!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 23:12

Plan: different ones
Stats: 312/219/190
BF:40 %
Progress: 76%
Unhappy

Hi. I joined curves last july 8th of 2001 and I have lost 93 pds. I love the program and the staff....... I will admit I hate the hours BUT I have made arrangements around their schedule.

I think if you join the right gym and work out at least 4 days a week it will work for you and sometimes you need to be the aggressive person in a gym to make new friends. Thank god for curves its helped me.........

Janice
312pds
NOW 219 pds and still losing. Good luck to all.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 07:52
Registered Member

Stats: 201/195/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 12%
Thumbs up Love Curves

Hi Guys -

I joined Curves on the 20th/ Jul and went three times last week. I love it!! I can't wait to go again today. I really work up a sweat but my heart rate is right on target! The time goes by so quickly! Does anyone know what harm if any it could do to go say Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat? I am thinking that I would really like to do that but the staff there says three times is enough per week and you don't want to over do it. Just curious. Hope everyone has a good day - Cats