Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 19:49

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Tip Of The Day

Never take a thermogenic on the same day as a job interview. You sweat twice as much.

I was so embarrassed.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 20:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by aztovaalex
What supplements should people with a hypothyroid condition take?

I'm not an expert, but I recently read Thin For Good by Fred Pescatore, former medical director for the Atkins Center. He recommended kelp (which you already know about) and magnesium for hypothyroidism.

Protein Power has this sentence buried on page 122 in discussion of rampant chromium deficiency (90% of the country is reported to be chromium-deficient):

"Sufficient chromium will help you build lean muscle pounds, and through interaction with the thyroid system, help you burn fat more efficiently."

That doesn't quite say "take chromium to improve thyroid function" but seems to suggest that chromium is required by the thyroid to burn fat.

Hope that's of some help.

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Fri, Mar-01-02 at 18:36.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/130/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default ECAs

I also question the effects of the caffein on insulin levels. Being fairly new to the Atkins/low carb theory, (having just scoured through the book) I'm sure that we were advised to stay away from caffein in all forms. Wouldn't this contradict the keotosis/fat burning (not glucose burning) that we're attempting to achieve? This is suppose to be a "healthy" way to live and eat and bring our levels into control. Don't get me wrong. I'd love some help, but I don't want to get confused. I'm having enough trouble staying away from cereals and fruits and would love a "quick fix".

I'd love any reasurrances!
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Wink Dido Again!

LoL on the job thing.. I busted out laughing.

Debbieduh agian. I dido your question. That is a very good question and an answer would be great. It is a contradiction I think.. Anyone an expert on this subject??

FREE
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: ECAs

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieDuh
I also question the effects of the caffein on insulin levels. Being fairly new to the Atkins/low carb theory, (having just scoured through the book) I'm sure that we were advised to stay away from caffein in all forms. Wouldn't this contradict the keotosis/fat burning (not glucose burning) that we're attempting to achieve?

Just a note here guys, Atkins says "no caffiene" - this is not the case with all LC programs. Protein Power permits caffeine (and alcohol for that matter), as do many others.

Nat
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool Hey Hey Hey!!

Caffine and Alcohol? Wow, where do I fine those books?
Sorry to sound like a lush but those are my two draw backs to LCing.

My hubby's in a band so I am surrounded by alcies ..LOL and I miss my COFFEE!!!

Thanks Nat!
Oh tell me alittle more about some of the other programs..
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 11:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Most of the plans available to you are discussed in detail under the link on the right of every page "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" Sample menus are included

Nat
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 17:22

Stats: 264/238/180
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Great thread

I have been using Metab-O-Lite, which is one of the ephedra metabolism boosting products. I am using the Caffeine free formula, I bought that because I felt my diet coke habit was, about a six pack a day , was supplying all the caffeine I needed....Now I have cut back drastically on the diet coke, 2 in the last 3 days. I'm wondering if I should drink a little more diet coke (preferable of course), or get the Caffeine formula I am losing weight and I feel the Metab-O-Lite is helping me keep from over eating at meals and not continually graze....In fact often I'm not even hungry at mealtime.......

Sonny
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 17:50

Stats: 160/130/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieDuh
I'm wondering if these "crutches" will have to be used indefinately. Will your motabilism suffer and slow down causing you to have to drastically cut calories or "balloon" back up with out the ECAs after long-term use?

I'm still wondering about the dependency factor of these "helpers". Has anyone used one of these agents and been able to stop after reaching their goal or do you continue to use them to maintain.

As far as the caffein, wouldn't the adreleline rush of exercise give you the same kind (if not better and healthier) of boost and appetite suppresion?
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 00:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny
Now I have cut back drastically on the diet coke, 2 in the last 3 days. I'm wondering if I should drink a little more diet coke (preferable of course), or get the Caffeine formula
I doubt the source of the caffeine matters, but quantity does. I believe the standard ratio is 200 mg. caffeine to 20 mg. ephedrine. From what I've read, you really should not add any additional caffeine beyond that. Call the 800 number on the Coke can to ask how much is in that stuff. Less caffeine would be okay. Many thermogenic formulations are made with less caffeine. Please read the label of the bottle for warnings about excess caffeine. Remember, there really is some danger associated with these pills and you should be careful.
Quote:
I am losing weight and I feel the Metab-O-Lite is helping me keep from over eating at meals and not continually graze....In fact often I'm not even hungry at mealtime.
Hey, if you're doing low-carb, you should be much more concerned about getting in your minimum protein grams and calories. Grazing is encouraged. If you don't eat enough calories you'll shut down your metabolism.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:38

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default dependency pn ECA

Quote:
I'm still wondering about the dependency factor of these "helpers". Has anyone used one of these agents and been able to stop after reaching their goal or do you continue to use them to maintain.

I have hit my goal (until I change it again), and as long as you take the right approach when coming off the ECA stacks, you should be OK.

That is, just as you increased you dose when you first started until you hit a "normal dose", you should try to taper off ECA and ease yourself back into a less-dependant situation.

That's one way to do it, anyway.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:16

BF:

Woohoo TrainerDan!

Congratulations on hitting your goal. I know you went down to a low percentage of body fat and I've always heard how hard those last few pounds are (can't say I've ever been there). Well done!

Allison
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:56

Stats: 178/178/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hydroxycut

I've read a few of the posts regarding this product and so far I've seen only good postive responses. I was inclined to purchase this product on last week but I wasn't sure if it worked or not.

So my next question will be can you take that product and still be LCing? Also do you have to restrict what you eat and do a certain amount of exercise? Curious mind wants to know.

#74   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Smile yes, yes, and yes!

You can take it while low carbbing ... You still have to watch what you eat, and you still have to do exercise.

Supplements (and this is a supplement) are just that: SUPPLEMENTS to your nutrition and training. Everything should be in order first before you consider using one.

Supplements are not "magic pills". They merely provide an edge.

If your nutrition plan is not 100% solid, and your training hasn't taken you as far as you can go ... then hold off on the fat loss supplements.

Follow your nutrition and training plans to the "T", and when your fat loss stalls out ... THEN turn to supplements such as Hydroxy, Xenadrine, etc.

Too many people use this type of supplement as a crutch. It should be a compliment to a sound, targeted fat loss plan.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 351/327/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default BurnXS

Has anyone tried BurnXS supplement?