Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 12:58

Plan: whatever works!!!
Stats: 210.5/203.9/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yeah, I got some
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama-gammy
Yep, I have the same thing as you had...how long did yours last? It is very painful. And I miss Gulf Shores like crazy! Sand between my toes...ahhhhh!!!

He gave me some pain killers and anti inflammatory meds and it was gone in a couple of days. It was bad. I couldn't even drive because it hurt to move my whole upper body. Mine was between the lower ribs on my left side.

I miss the sand between my toes too. I can't remember the last time I went to the beach!! AND I LIVE HERE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/274/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Are you kidding?
Progress: 0%

Just want to give a warm welcome from Kansas City although it's freezing here. I'm a newbie, been doing LC since 1/29 and lost 5-1/2 lbs so far (going slow but that's definitely ok). Anyway, glad your doctor didn't find anything drastically serious and you are going to be ok. Welcome to the forums!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 08:36

Plan: not sure-low carb
Stats: 255/246/200 Male 5' 11"
BF:24%
Progress: 16%

Well it's been only 6 days since I started dropping carbs. I'm eating 3 chicken breast and distilled water with stevia and no carb lemon juice. Everything is going great so far. The scale is moving in the right direction!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 09:17

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

shovel, I see that this is your first post, and you're still finding your way into what it means to be a "low-carb" eater. Stick around here, and you'll get plenty of information and encouragement.

I'd encourage you to investigate some specific low-carb plans, such as Atkins, Protein Power, Carb Addicts, and so forth. Read a book or two. Find out the importance of good nutrition in keeping you healthy, not just thinner. Also, if you're following a certain plan, if you hit a rough patch, people can help you figure out what's going on.

Keep in mind that while you may lose a lot of weight fast on three chicken breasts a day, you won't be building a menu you can live on for life. Creating a personal plan is the whole secret of losing weight and keeping it off.

Best wishes. And you might like to start a new thread of your own over in the Introductions forum. Just click on New Thread, give it a title, and you'll get a welcome all your own.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 11:03

Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha5813
Just want to give a warm welcome from Kansas City although it's freezing here. I'm a newbie, been doing LC since 1/29 and lost 5-1/2 lbs so far (going slow but that's definitely ok). Anyway, glad your doctor didn't find anything drastically serious and you are going to be ok. Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the LC Lifestyle and congrats on the weight loss! I have lost about 12 pounds since 1-15-07...I have like 9 more to go...I think I will be happy with that.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 11:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel
Well it's been only 6 days since I started dropping carbs. I'm eating 3 chicken breast and distilled water with stevia and no carb lemon juice. Everything is going great so far. The scale is moving in the right direction!

I am not a good one to give you advice since I am not eating as I should either, but you need to eat some green veggies...it will make you feel better in the long run! Congrats on that scale moving in the right direction and welcome to Low Carbing!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 11:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansonya
He gave me some pain killers and anti inflammatory meds and it was gone in a couple of days. It was bad. I couldn't even drive because it hurt to move my whole upper body. Mine was between the lower ribs on my left side.

I miss the sand between my toes too. I can't remember the last time I went to the beach!! AND I LIVE HERE!!!!!

Take your butt to the beach...for ME!!!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 21:00

Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama-gammy
Tonight we ate out so I had some pulled pork bar-b-que with no sauce and a green salad with vinegar & oil salad dressing...It was pretty good but could not eat it all.

Hawaii's Kalua Pig is similar to pulled Southern BBQ, but I miss the vinegar slaw....

And there's the old red slaw for hot dawgs!!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 08:53

Cool Hi all

I have found that this diet is tougher than I thought it would be. Before I started this journey I ate meat once or twice a week, chicken or turkey only. My normal eating habits were raw fruits and veggies and lots and lots of grannola and crackers as much as a large box a day , bad I know. More than taste I love very hard food, as crunchy as possible. Well I have had very little of any crunch for about 10 days which is very hard to be without. I haven't gain a pound in over ten years but my body fat percentage has increased as my muscle tone has decreased which has lead me to try the LC plan. Is there anyone having the same crunchy desires? If so how are you dealing with the lost?
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 09:13

BF:

Shovel, considering the foods you prefer, you might want to investigate alternative LC plans. Many include fruit, whole grains, and certainly plenty of crunchy vegetables, with less emphasis on meat protein. Nobody can sustain a way of eating that's not rewarding and pleasant.

Muscle tone--strength, endurance, flexibility--is a consequence of exercise, not diet. You can work on that with resistance and weight training, regardless of what you choose to eat.

Best wishes.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 10:28

Default thanks

I will look into other lc plans this weekend. I really do miss crunchy!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 08:36

Default ok

I took 3 days off from the scale. Waist is down in the same area another 1/2 ". What's amazing is in three days 5.2 pounds lost. Still missing the crunchy foods. Taking one day this week to look at other LC plans that will allow crunchy veggies. One area of concern for me is limited waste removal. It amounts to once every three days. Is this nomal on the Atkins plan? I'm taking in about 700 calories a day, just can't eat any more meat (chicken/turkey) as yet. I haven't eaten any beef since 1973, and we were as kids never allowed any pork so with a dislike for the taste of fish, this diet is a bit confining.

Have a great day!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 10:09

BF:

Shovel, can you get pork rinds? Fabulously crunchy, and perfectly legal. I like mine with a shmear of cream cheese, or dipped in ranch dressing. You can use them as croutons in salad, and in various recipes for "breading," etc.

Whatever you eat to get it, you MUST get more food. 700 calories for a guy your size will cause your body to go into a conservation mode, and hang onto the energy sources (like fat) for all it's worth. EAT MORE.

For elimination issues, Dr. Atkins recommends psyllium husks. I get a lot of fiber in the form of ground flaxseed and wheat bran. Some people use Metamucil (non-sugared types).
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 10:37

Thanks again! I will get the psyllium husk asap. I will add at least one more chicken breast today and more the next following days to increase the calorie count.
You rock!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 11:40

BF:

By all means, add some raw veggies. Broccoli or cauliflower dipped in ranch or blue cheese dressing. Celery with cream cheese. Green beans lightly steamed with butter on them. All legal for induction and beyond. Just monitor the quantities.