Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 07:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

With regard to my muscle soreness, I was really pleased to find this morning that the soreness in my hams and glutes had gone, although my inner thighs felt (and are still feeling!) as though I’ve been riding a horse non-stop for several days!

Had just done my second HIIT session of the week, details in my gym log. Found it much harder going today, so was really pleased when it was over, especially as I was starting to feel sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
I did a bunch of push-ups, actually. I started with my set of 5 and added 5 more. Then in-between some ab work (with the stability and bosu balls) I did another set of 5...and another. I think I probably did a total of 30! OMG I was stunned. Then later as I was doing flies, my trainer walked by and checked on me. So I had to show him the push-up thing...but by then I was SO tired and I could only squeak out two.

YAY! well done for doing all those push ups Hope you're not feeling it too much today!

Glad to hear that you're feeling proud and strong ... it's a great feeling to have!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 11:36
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Demi, you're doing HIIT 3 times a week? Is that what NROL recommends? That's alot.

As for my sorry butt, I finally managed to get my workout done. It went well, considering my quads are killing me from Wed.

My weight dropped another pound, too.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 11:40
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi babes! Demi, I have to tell you I'm feeling my workout today. LOL I've been up since early this morning (running on a bit too little sleep) cleaning my house like a crazy woman...prepping food and sweeping and vacuuming and dusting. I was kind of laughing because it's definitely a "workout" I wasn't planning. And I'm feeling my muscles...my shoulders and pecs from all those push-ups and my quads and hammies just because I pushed the envelope some extra lunges as well as the usual balancing while doing flies and squat pulls. Every time I get up from the desk I feel like I'm creaking a little. ROFL

I'm excited to learn more about your experience with HIIT. I had only just begun to incorporate the concepts and after I move on to create my own workouts, I plan to incorporate HIIT as a mainstay.

Ok, more company is about to arrive. I'll check in again as soon as I can.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 04:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Demi, you're doing HIIT 3 times a week? Is that what NROL recommends? That's alot.

As for my sorry butt, I finally managed to get my workout done. It went well, considering my quads are killing me from Wed.

My weight dropped another pound, too.

Yes, I am ... do you think that's a problem? It never occurred to me that 3 times a week was too much ... doesn't BFL recommend doing HIIT 3 times a week?

NROL recommends the following:

Each workout consists of a warm-up for 5 minutes at a very easy pace, followed by rounds of 3 minutes each consisting of a pace as high as you can handle for 60 seconds, the backing off to a moderate pace for two minutes. Once you've finished the number of rounds advocated, the you cool down for a further 5 minutes at a very easy pace.

Weeks 1-4: 3 rounds, 3 times per week - 19 minutes
Weeks 5-8: 4 rounds, 4 times per week - 22 minutes
Weeks 9-12 5 rounds, 4 times per week - 25 minutes
Weeks 12-16 6 rounds, 5 times a week - 28 minutes

Well done on getting your work done, despite painful quads ... and congrats on dropping another pound

Quote:
I'm excited to learn more about your experience with HIIT. I had only just begun to incorporate the concepts and after I move on to create my own workouts, I plan to incorporate HIIT as a mainstay.

As someone who hates 'cardio', I'm actually really enjoying my HIIT sessions so far. I say 'so far' because I've only done two, so that could change dramatically as I progress ... but in the meantime, what's not to like when it only takes 19 minutes!
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 04:33

BF:

Have just read this interesting article Sexy Female Training by Chad Waterbury at T-Nation. While some of you may have already come across it, those who haven't might enjoy it.

I was interested to see the bench press ups - I think that I might try and do mine that way until my shoulder is strong enough again to do full push ups.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 08:57
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Yes, I am ... do you think that's a problem? It never occurred to me that 3 times a week was too much ... doesn't BFL recommend doing HIIT 3 times a week?

NROL recommends the following:

Each workout consists of a warm-up for 5 minutes at a very easy pace, followed by rounds of 3 minutes each consisting of a pace as high as you can handle for 60 seconds, the backing off to a moderate pace for two minutes. Once you've finished the number of rounds advocated, the you cool down for a further 5 minutes at a very easy pace.

Weeks 1-4: 3 rounds, 3 times per week - 19 minutes
Weeks 5-8: 4 rounds, 4 times per week - 22 minutes
Weeks 9-12 5 rounds, 4 times per week - 25 minutes
Weeks 12-16 6 rounds, 5 times a week - 28 minutes

As someone who hates 'cardio', I'm actually really enjoying my HIIT sessions so far. I say 'so far' because I've only done two, so that could change dramatically as I progress ... but in the meantime, what's not to like when it only takes 19 minutes!

So Demi, that means the first 4 weeks you do 30 minutes total (well, I guess 29 technically) 3x/week, right?

I'm definitely going to make note of this, thanks!
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
So Demi, that means the first 4 weeks you do 30 minutes total (well, I guess 29 technically) 3x/week, right?

I'm definitely going to make note of this, thanks!

No, actually it would be 57 minutes total. Sorry, I probably didn't explain it very well ... for the first 4 weeks, each workout is 19 minutes in total (warm-up, 3 rounds, cool down), and you do the workout 3 times a week, so 3 x 19 minutes.

I have not been feeling well today, so haven't done my workout as planned. Instead, I've decided to take today as my rest day, and do my workout tomorrow.

I am about to go out now though and walk three or four miles with my dog. I thought that some walking and fresh air might help to make me feel a bit better.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 04:42

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'd like to join your group

I was lifting a lot this summer. Great definition. Then, I went through a yo-yo dieting phase of extremes. I'd like to get back to weights.

I am away from my weights during the week (commuting with two houses - hopefully soon ending!), but I devised a dumbbell regimen to hopefully get back on track.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
I was lifting a lot this summer. Great definition. Then, I went through a yo-yo dieting phase of extremes. I'd like to get back to weights.

I am away from my weights during the week (commuting with two houses - hopefully soon ending!), but I devised a dumbbell regimen to hopefully get back on track.

athena11, welcome to our WTB thread Great to hear that you want to get back to training with weights ... IMO dumbbells are a great way to go
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 08:17
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Athena11 - welcome to WTBs! Demi, sorry you're feeling under the weather. I just posted in my journal. I'm still stressed although I'm enjoying our photog friends...it's been a great group. Of course they all brought HC crap into the house and had to order pizza last night and I have passed on everything, though I've indulged in a bit too much LC food in general...too much salt...some wine...and the scale doesn't like me much! But what can you do, right? Things will be "back to normal" soon enough. I'm pretty tired and bloated, but after everyone leaves today I WILL be going to the gym and trying to do something!

Hang in there everyone and I'll be in touch again soon!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 09:08

BF:
Default thanks for the welcome

I'll post my dumbbell report tomorrow. I'll probably do it while I'm watching the commercials or the half time report.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 10:21

BF:
Default thanks for the welcome

I'll post my dumbbell report tomorrow. I'll probably do it while I'm watching the commercials or the half time report.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 18:33
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi babes! Well, the last two days I've bloated up due to food choices (cheese, alchohol, etc.) as well as possibly PMSing (which no doubt played a role in my food choices). I've been hosting a mini-conference that's been going well...but my house was filled with all sorts of HC "goodies" and sometimes it was difficult to pass (though I did). So I overdid it with LC stuff. Anyhow, today I went to the gym after most of our guests left (two are still here) and I did my workout. I felt weaker, but I'm so proud to have done it! I'm hoping it will help me until Tuesday when I see my trainer.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 09:30

BF:

Didn’t do my workout as planned over the weekend, as I really didn’t feel well enough to. I did, however, manage several 3-4 mile walks with my dog, with the fresh air helping to take the edge off my nausea (think that I may have had a touch of food poisoning).

Anyway, back to it today … have just done my first WT workout of the week (see my gym log for full details).

One thing, I did try out the bench press ups that I mentioned here on Saturday. I manage to do 15, in increments of 5 with a small rest in between, but had to do the other 15 on my knees, as my shoulder was starting to complain.

After my workout, I spent about 15 minutes chatting to the gym instructor, as she had complimented me on my changing shape and weight loss.

She had me do some flexing, and it was so cool to see the definition in my calves, for instance, and although I’m nowhere near having a six-pack, there is the hint of an outline there.

The only thing that doesn’t look too good is my triceps … they feel great, but they’re currently being hidden by some flabby ‘bingo wings’. I really hope that I will see this area firm up and become more sculpted as I drop body fat, but I do wonder if it might be a bit late to stop the rot at my age.

Talking of weight loss, I was rather disappointed to find that the scales stayed the same this week for my official weekly weigh-in. However, the tape measure told a different story … in the past two weeks (I measure fortnightly) I’ve lost an inch off both my waist and abs, half an inch off my hips and another inch off my thighs.

Quote:
Hi babes! Well, the last two days I've bloated up due to food choices (cheese, alchohol, etc.) as well as possibly PMSing (which no doubt played a role in my food choices). I've been hosting a mini-conference that's been going well...but my house was filled with all sorts of HC "goodies" and sometimes it was difficult to pass (though I did). So I overdid it with LC stuff. Anyhow, today I went to the gym after most of our guests left (two are still here) and I did my workout. I felt weaker, but I'm so proud to have done it! I'm hoping it will help me until Tuesday when I see my trainer.

Hey Lisa ... well done on passing up those HC goodies, and even better, on going to the gym and getting your workout done with all that you've gone through this weekend ... I feel proud of you too
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 14:36

BF:
Default Brief dumbbell workout

10 lb. weights

They felt really heavy! I have packed all my lighter ones. (We may finally close on our house.)

Only 5 exercises with the dumbbells. But, I'd like to wear my hand weights around the house at night to help.

IF our house sells this week I can move down to be with my family AND work out again on my regular weights.