Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 22:01
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"
Progress: 93%

I'm not a fan of the Atkins regimen because I feel that a diet rich in saturated fat is unhealthful. However, let the man R.I.P.; his weight at autopsy has no relevance to the contributions which he made. Many have achieved sustained weight loss with his program.

Good Luck,
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 08:07

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well Abby, it actually turns out a diet rich is saturated fat IS healthy....

"I fondly remember the words of Doctor Paul Dudley White, cardiologist to the presidents back in the mid-fifties. When pressed to support the politically motivated "prudent" diet of fat and cholesterol restriction replied, "See here, I began my practice as a cardiologist in 1921 and never saw a myocardial infarction patient until 1928. Back in the MI-free days before 1920, the fats were butter, whole milk and lard, and I think we would all benefit from the kind of diet that we had when no one had ever heard of corn oil.""
Duane Graveline MD MPH
Former USAF Flight Surgeon
Former NASA Astronaut
Retired Family Doctor

""The first scientific indictment of saturated fat came in 1953. That's the year a physiologist named Ancel Keys, published a highly influential paper titled Atherosclerosis, a Problem in Newer Public Health. Keys wrote that while the total death rate in the United States was declining, the number of deaths due to heart disease was steadily climbing. And to explain why, he presented a comparison of fat intake and heart disease mortality in six countries: the United States, Canada, Australia, England, Italy and Japan.

The Americans ate the most fat and had the greatest number of deaths from heart disease; the Japanese ate the least fat and had the fewest deaths from heart disease. The other countries fell neatly in between.

The higher the fat intake, according to national diet surveys, the higher the rate of heart disease. And vice versa. Keys called this correlation a "remarkable relationship" and began to publicly hypothesise that consumption of fat causes heart disease. This became known as the diet-heart hypothesis.

At the time, plenty of scientists were skeptical of Keys' assertions. One such critic was Dr Jacob Yerushalmy, founder of the biostatistics graduate program at the University of California at Berkeley.

In a 1957 paper, Yerushalmy pointed out that while data from the six countries Keys examined seemed to support the diet-heart hypothesis, statistics were actually available for 22 countries. And when all 22 were analysed, the apparent link between fat consumption and heart disease disappeared. For example, the death rate from heart disease in Finland was 24 times that of Mexico, even though fat-consumption rates in the two nations were similar.

The other salient criticism of Keys' study was that he had observed only a correlation between two phenomena, not a clear causative link. So this left open the possibility that something else, unmeasured or unimagined, was leading to heart disease. After all, Americans did eat more fat than the Japanese, but perhaps they also consumed more sugar and white bread and watched more television."
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/men...y-good-for-you/

""Perhaps the apparent bias against saturated fat is most evident in studies on low-carbohydrate diets. Many versions of this approach are controversial because they place no limitations on saturated-fat intake. As a result, supporters of the diet-heart hypothesis have argued that low-carb diets will increase the risk of heart disease. But published research doesn't show this to be the case.

When people on low-carb diets have been compared head-to-head with those on low-fat diets, the low-carb dieters typically scored significantly better on markers of heart disease, including small, dense LDL cholesterol, HDL/LDL ratio and triglycerides, which are a measure of the amount of fat circulating in your blood.

For example, in a new 12-week study, US research at the University of Connecticut placed overweight men and women on either a low-carb or low-fat diet. Those who followed the low-carb diet consumed 36 grams of saturated fat per day (22 per cent of total kilojoules), which represented more than three times the amount in the low-fat diet.

Yet despite this considerably greater intake of saturated fat, the low-carb dieters reduced both their number of small, dense LDL cholesterol and their HDL/LDL ratio to a greater degree than those who ate a low-fat diet. In addition, triglycerides decreased by 51 per cent in the low-carb group – compared with 19 per cent in the low-fat group.

This finding is worth noting, because even though cholesterol is the most commonly cited risk factor for heart disease, triglyceride levels may be equally relevant. In a 40-year study at the University of Hawaii, scientists found that low triglyceride levels at middle age best predicted "exceptional survival" – defined as living until age 85 without suffering from a major disease.

According to lead study author Dr Jeff Volek, a registered dietitian, two factors influence the amount of fat coursing through your veins.

The first, of course, is the amount of fat you eat. But the more important factor is less obvious. Turns out, your body makes fat from carbohydrates. It works like this: the carbs you eat (particularly starches and sugar) are absorbed into your bloodstream as sugar. As your carb intake rises, so does your blood sugar. This causes your body to release the hormone insulin. Insulin's job is to return your blood sugar to normal, but it also signals your body to store fat. As a result, your liver starts converting excess blood sugar to triglycerides, or fat.

All of which helps explain why the low-carb dieters in Volek's study had a greater loss of fat in their blood. Restricting carbs keeps insulin levels low, which lowers your internal production of fat and allows more of the fat you do eat to be burned for energy. ""
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 09:27

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigénie
I wrote that there is a link not a causal effect between diet and cancer. I agree with DEMOKAT that multiple factors are at play when it comes to cancer.
The current advice from current cancer agencies in UK is ensure a good intake of fiber particularly soluble fiber. This is in a climate of rising obesity epidemiology and diets that are rich in sugar and poor in fiber.
I also think that sources of medical research from Medline are more reliable than private website. With all respect to the man, Dr Groves did not do reseach in colon cancer but selected articles for his review.

As for smoking: cigarettes smoking is linked with lung cancer (and Gynee cancer), pipe smoking is linked with throat cancer and tabacco chewing is linked with mouth cancer.
Grim but true.

Iph.

The same medical establishment who tells us that grains are good for you and that meat is bad for you? The same medical establishment that sells us drugs that have to be recalled and should have never been approved in the first place?

Why would you trust the very people that promote the unhealthy habits that cause disease?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 09:30

BF:

The whole fiber con is just another way to get people to ingest agricultural waste while paying for the privilege.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 09:37

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LustFTM
I'm not a fan of the Atkins regimen because I feel that a diet rich in saturated fat is unhealthful. However, let the man R.I.P.; his weight at autopsy has no relevance to the contributions which he made. Many have achieved sustained weight loss with his program.

Good Luck,

Did you know mice fed a diet of solely monounsaturated fat had increased risk of heart disease(or was it cancer, i cant remember sleep dep)? When they added sat fat the risk was lower. Sat fat prevents poly fats from oxidation also. The normal human fat profile is roughly 50% sat fat and only 3-7% poly. Eating grains and poly fat oils can change the fat acid profile.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Linda McCarthy, vegetarian, died of cancer at age 56.
Michael Jackson, vegetarian, died of heart attack at age 50.

I'm sure with a little digging we can get a few more on the list.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 12:04

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

Well Abby, it actually turns out a diet rich is saturated fat IS healthy....

The first scientific indictment of saturated fat came in 1953. That's the year a physiologist named Ancel Keys, published a highly influential paper titled Atherosclerosis, a Problem in Newer Public Health. Keys wrote that while the total death rate in the United States was declining, the number of deaths due to heart disease was steadily climbing. And to explain why, he presented a comparison of fat intake and heart disease mortality in six countries: the United States, Canada, Australia, England, Italy and Japan.

Short Ancel Keys Video HERE .

Bo
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 12:42

BF:

I love that Tom Naughton video.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 12:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphigénie
just a quick note to say that there IS a link between diet and cancer. For example research has shown that people eating high fiber had less risk of colon cancer, japanese who have a high intake of salt have a higher incidence of liver cancer, high alcohol consumption is linked with higher rate of eosophagus cancer ..etc.
I am not commenting on what LC does to us but just raising awareness about cancer. There are many reasons you can get cancer and diet is a factor among others.
Iph.
There is more of a link between cancer and low vitamin D levels. The lowest incidence of all cancers occur closest to the equater. Also, rates of CHD, MS, autoimmune diseases, etc increase as you go further north or south from the equator.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 16:40

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Olivia Newton-John, vegetarian, breast cancer
isn't Christina Applegate vegetarian as well?

they have survived but obviously the vegetarian diet didn't benefit them..
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 17:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/243/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 28%

This is a great study done in germany linking low carb to beating cancer...
http://www.time.com/time/health/art...1662484,00.html
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 05:57

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Not that I don't agree with you about the dangers of vegetarianism, but it seems there was a lot more involved in Michael Jackson's death than diet.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 11:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Saturated fat and cancer risk again?

Another statistical study that found what they set out to prove, or did they?
Quote:
They theorized that the association between fat intake and pancreatic cancer could be related to the so-called exocrine function of the pancreas, which excretes enzymes such as those that help digest fat.

They also noted that studies have linked saturated fat to insulin resistance and that diabetes and insulin resistance have been associated with increased pancreatic cancer risk.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cancer...=7941489&page=1
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfric
Hi Demakat,

I really appreciate your input. Maybe somebody else has more details about Dr. Atkins weight. If not this is also fine with me
Thanks
Teresa

That's the story with Atkins. He slipped on the ice, hit his head, broke his skull, promptly went into a deep coma. During his short stay at the hospital after this accident, he was pumped full of fluids in an attempt to keep him alive. Unfortunately, his heart gave out and he died. If we must draw conclusions about the whole, it's that eating a low carb diet will cause you to be so healthy in your late years that it will encourage you to go out at 75 for your morning run, then it will cause you to slip on the ice and break your skull.

But seriously, the information regarding Atkins' death is freely available online. Google his death certificate.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:03

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfric
Sometimes I am afraid of the low carb/cancer connection as quite a few promoters of low carb have/had cancer

Would you be so kind to give us the names of those low carb promoters who got cancer, please? Thank you.