Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-14, 04:28

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have a question. Every time you see an overnight weight gain, as described here as a result of "slips," how long did it take to lose it again?

Also, has anyone had an overnight weight gain without a having a slip or due to premenstrual hormone changes?

Can one gain inexplicably overnight while following the Westman et al guidelines for Induction to the letter and after being on Induction for 2 months? And it does not go away?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 07:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I have a question. Every time you see an overnight weight gain, as described here as a result of "slips," how long did it take to lose it again?

Also, has anyone had an overnight weight gain without a having a slip or due to premenstrual hormone changes?

Can one gain inexplicably overnight while following the Westman et al guidelines for Induction to the letter and after being on Induction for 2 months? And it does not go away?
I'm not following Westman, but I can relate to the topic with some experience. Hope you don't mind that I share...

I slipped and fell face first into Thanksgiving 2013 ~ had a 3 day carb-packed orgy. Gained 9 lbs and it took me 6 days to lose them. That was the one and only time I've cheated in 17 months.

The only time I gain weight since I eat to plan 100% without cheating (except for the infamous Thanksgiving Fiasco of 2013), is when I over indulge in pork rinds, eat ham or canned chicken breast. Its the sodium content. I can gain 2-3 lbs in one day (water retention) but I'll lose them in a day or two. I've learned thru trial and error what makes me retain water.

Everyone is so different that our bodies process foods differently even if we were all eating on the same exact plan.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-14, 05:22

BF:

I can relate to the overnight weight gain from too many carbs or too much sodium, then losing it over the following week. But what causes an overnight weight gain in the absence of carb or sodium? And when not premenstrual? And why won't it go away after 2 weeks? I have had outs of fluid retention that goes away within a week. I have not had weight gains (following the program strictly) inexplicably -- that refuses to go away? Temporary weight gain I understand. Permanent weight gain I do not understand.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-14, 06:24
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Maybe if you shared what you're eating? We could see something that you haven't spotted? Are you counting actual carbs or net carbs? Which Atkins program are you following? Things like that would be helpful to try to see why you'd gain the weight and not taken it back off.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 06:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Maybe if you shared what you're eating? We could see something that you haven't spotted? Are you counting actual carbs or net carbs? Which Atkins program are you following? Things like that would be helpful to try to see why you'd gain the weight and not taken it back off.

Thanks Just Jo. I am on Atkins OWL. Reading Westman et all The New Atkins for a New You and following their protocols.

I was counting net carbs at first but have moved to total carbs in the past month. Maximum 25 grams carb per week/month. Cutting back this week to below 20.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs
Lunch: Sausage and cheese (cheddar) (Avoiding cheese for a week made no difference)
Supper: Steak with a green leafy salad and dressing (almost no carb on label), or cauliflower and full fat hamburger.

I gave up nuts as a snack when hungry as there were too many carbs. Especially pistachios.

I am still working on getting the protein count down.

I do weigh and measure everything I eat and enter it into the Diet Power computer program to calculate daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual nutritional intake. The program converts grams to ounces for me and calculates fractions.

Thanks again Jo.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 07:28
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Benay, what OWL rung are you on right now? I do Atkins 2002, so I'm thinking that our diets will differ, but I'll still take a stab at helping out here.

Your food looks good, but I think that you don't have enough veggies in your diet for Atkins. If you're trying to get your protein (percentage) down, adding veggies will help that---only if you are shooting for certain percentages of carbs/macros. For instance, I shoot for something like 65% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs (in grams, that's 92/90/40). It does vary, but that's about where I'm at. Any time I go up a rung (I'm on OWL 6), it changes the carb percentage and I have to adjust either the protein or fats down (usually the protein).

Also, if you are not on the nut rung, you will want to wait until then to add nuts back in.

Are you eating 25 carbs per day, or per week? I'm confused on that. If you are doing Atkins, one of the greatest advantages to this way of eating is that we can figure out how many carbs and what kinds of foods we can actually eat and still lose. This helps later down the line in keeping the weight off when we enter the maintenance phase.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 03:03

BF:

Quasimodo, thanks. I eat a computed average of 25 grams of carbs per week. Sometimes a little more or a little less. I am on the nut ladder. My carb percentage is 6%.

Since I have not lost since the first week of induction (2 months now), cutting carbs is the first thing to try. Cutting way back on carbs was suggested by another member of the forum and cutting back on protein a suggestion by another. Cutting calories another suggestin. This is my diet when following those suggestions. I am now down to 5% carbs.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 07:55
The Patient Loser

BF:

Ahh ok. Which version of Atkins are you following?

Just curious--Why do you think that cutting carbs is the first thing to try? For sure, there are some carbs that shouldn't be consumed early on in the diet and since you seem to be moving up the rungs, you are probably avoiding most. Are you consuming sweeteners at all? Are you following the recommended amounts of cheese and dairy? Sometimes people stall from those two things.

During induction, I lost 5lbs and hovered around on the same 3lbs (160-162) for about 5 weeks, which was super frustrating. The thing that helped me out a lot was to find out what my BMR was and try to eat to that for a while. I lost a 5-6lbs doing that and then hovered for a couple of weeks between 154-156, then because life got busy (selling/buying a house), I quit watching calories and just ate legal (and within my carbs) and dropped another 3-4lbs. This tells me that (for me) changing things up (calorie-wise) tends to work in my favor. For the record, the calories were somewhere between 1300-2000 on any given day while I was losing the last time.

Another thing I did was to skip figuring out net carbs, which actually does bring carbs down quite a bit, treating every carb the same whether it's regular carb or fiber. This seems to have worked as well.

The last thing I did was to make sure to move up the rungs (which you are doing, it seems).

I'm not at all sure if this is your issue, but one thing that really made things confusing while I was experiencing that first 5 week stall was when I tried to put many pieces of advice into practice at the same time. Like you, I got a few different recommendations from people here and tried to do them all, but in the end it was just confusing. Every person's body is different and responds in its own way to changes, so it's important to move slowly and see how your body responds--much in the same way that Dr. Atkins suggests spending 1-2 weeks (or however long you need to) on each rung so that we can get a feel for how our body is responding to new added foods. It takes time to find that 'sweet spot', and sometimes trying to do too many things at once can work against us getting to know our own body.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of that helps at all, but I'm sure with time and patience, you will learn what works and what doesn't. Hang in there!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 04:58

BF:

Quasimodo, thanks for the sharing of your own journey and taking the time to respond. I am not sure what you are asking when you ask what version of Atkins I am using. I am following the Westman, Volek and Phinney (The New Atkins for a New You protocol. I have had to drop back to induction. Nuts and berries are a problem for me so going higher on the rungs makes little sense.

I have still not been able to find the answer to my original question. The answer may lie in the original post in The Scale Lies The explanation of the action of fat cells in the face o f a dietary change makes sense and may well explain the rocky road displayed when charting/graphing daily weights --including inexplicable (from the point of dietary intake and hormones) 4 pound, overnight, weight gains that don't go away.

Indeed we are all different. Good luck on your weight loss journey. You are doing well. And thanks again. I am definitely a Turtle.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 07:58
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
Quasimodo, thanks for the sharing of your own journey and taking the time to respond. I am not sure what you are asking when you ask what version of Atkins I am using. I am following the Westman, Volek and Phinney (The New Atkins for a New You protocol. I have had to drop back to induction. Nuts and berries are a problem for me so going higher on the rungs makes little sense.

Gotcha. There are many versions of Atkins--I follow the 2002 version (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, the last version written by Dr. Atkins, I'm told), which relies mostly on whole foods, with some allowances for sweeteners. I am not as familiar with the later versions of Atkins, but I understand that they are more free with their suggestions/allowances of bars, shakes, etc., which have been reported to stall people's weight loss. Knowing this helps me to understand where you are at, and it's a common question that people ask when trying to help others figure out what might be stalling them.

Quote:
I have still not been able to find the answer to my original question. The answer may lie in the original post in The Scale Lies The explanation of the action of fat cells in the face o f a dietary change makes sense and may well explain the rocky road displayed when charting/graphing daily weights --including inexplicable (from the point of dietary intake and hormones) 4 pound, overnight, weight gains that don't go away.

Indeed we are all different. Good luck on your weight loss journey. You are doing well. And thanks again. I am definitely a Turtle.[

I found that article to be super helpful for me as well during my long stall, as well as during other shorter ones. Sometimes people find it easier not to weight daily, but rather weekly or monthly, because the fluctuations can be quite all over the place when weighing daily. I wouldn't blame you in the least, though, if you wanted to weigh daily. That works best for me.

Anyway, hope you figure out what's going on. I thought I was going to be a turtle, being that I'm pre-menopausal and 46 years old, but it hasn't turned out to be true. Hopefully you'll hit on what works for you and find that you aren't one after all.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 04:42

BF:

Quasimodo, I hit menopause in my mid-thirties. As an octogenarian now, I am definitely a turtle.

I found the New Atkins for a New You an expanded version of the last Atkins. It is based upon clinical research as well as clinical findings. (All 3 are clinician/researchers.) They give expanded explanations for every step and encourage self experimentation to find what works for you rather than a one-size-fits-all recommendation. It does not promise quick results and does allude to the turtle phenomena especially for women and the elderly. They do not go into detail, however.

I found it a helpful "next generation." Atkins, like the Eades, wrote his book based on his clinical experience. Westman, Volek and Phinney have been testing Atkins in clinical trials over 10 years now and their revision of Atkins is based upon their findings and the published work of other low carb scientists since 2007. Atkins did not have this data when he wrote his books. So far he has been proved right consistently.

The Westman et al version gives good information on the range of responses to Atkins. They do not go into Leptin theory at all but stay with ketosis and their findings around that. I found it helpful and recommend it highly.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 06:48
The Patient Loser

BF:

Fair enough, Benay. Wishing you all the best in your weight loss endeavor.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

So many of these stories resonate with me. I am a definite turtle, but you know the turtle wins the race.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 06:15

Plan: My Own
Stats: 252/236/180 Male 6
BF:31
Progress: 22%
Default Salt

I know when I eat those Items, the salt will make me camel up 5 to 7 Pounds of water, I take it slow and easy, and when I splurge I don't expect to see good results for a week afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit frustrated, and I want to see what others think. I only had 30 lbs to lose, and I lost 7 of it in the past 2 weeks. Not lightening fast, but I'm fine with it.

And then yesterday I ended up eating all three meals at restaurants. It started out ok-- Bacon and Cheese Omelet for breakfast, McDonalds Double Cheeseburger (no bun) for lunch...and then we went to Outback Steakhouse for Dinner and I ate a little of everything on the table (fried shrimp, cheesy fries, cornbread cakes...and more). I must have had about 3500 calories.

I don't usually cheat at restaurants, or eat out all the time like this, but when I weighed myself this morning, I had gained 7 lbs! Can this really be all water weight? I am just soooo discouraged because the loss was slow to begin with and now it will surely take weeks to see another loss. Any thoughts? (other than DONT CHEAT!)