Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/150/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default I gained it all back overnight :(

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit frustrated, and I want to see what others think. I only had 30 lbs to lose, and I lost 7 of it in the past 2 weeks. Not lightening fast, but I'm fine with it.

And then yesterday I ended up eating all three meals at restaurants. It started out ok-- Bacon and Cheese Omelet for breakfast, McDonalds Double Cheeseburger (no bun) for lunch...and then we went to Outback Steakhouse for Dinner and I ate a little of everything on the table (fried shrimp, cheesy fries, cornbread cakes...and more). I must have had about 3500 calories.

I don't usually cheat at restaurants, or eat out all the time like this, but when I weighed myself this morning, I had gained 7 lbs! Can this really be all water weight? I am just soooo discouraged because the loss was slow to begin with and now it will surely take weeks to see another loss. Any thoughts? (other than DONT CHEAT!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 20:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Between the carbs and the sodium is probable that almost all the gain is water weight. It takes 3,500 calories in theory to make a pound of fat, over and above your body's caloric requirements for running itself.

Get back at it, drown yourself in drinking extra water, and this too shall pass.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-06, 19:18

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

Yes, it's water weight.
I've experienced this myself. I have gained 6-8 pounds after "a slip".
It will be gone in a few days.

Don't be to hard on yourself, we all have hiccups along the way.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-06, 08:54
Registered Member

Stats: 175/150/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks Ladies! You were right, I went back down within a few days of drinking water and avoiding salt. I also cut out cheese and nuts for a few days since that can hold me back. Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-25-06, 12:07

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 227/213/175 Female 5ft
BF:starting size 20
Progress: 27%

I slipped on the 21st and again on the 23rd, and gained back 3lbs because of it. But today 25th I was already back down 2.5 lbs. Just stick to it and that extra will fall back off.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-25-06, 13:03

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I freaked out after a ham/bacon fest

on Saturday.

Saturday AM: 120.6
Sunday AM: 126.2!!!
Monday AM: 123.2 (This AM)

But, I was 122.4 after my AM exercise.

I'm hoping it is going to drop back to my regular weight.

So, it's primarily the sodium???
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-06, 03:36

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default down to 121.0 this AM

so that 5.5 pound weight gain was nonsense apparently.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 15:28

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Why do you think that 7 lbs lost in two weeks is slow? That is 3.5 lbs a week. That is great. Most of us expect to lose 2-3 lbs a week unless we are very close to goal and then it is slower. You were doing very well. Keep up the good work.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 19:56

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I regained weight too but have not lost it. Lost 5 first week of induction....lost 2 second week of induction....gained back 5 third week of induction.....and back rest 4th week of induction....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 10:31

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 42%

My weight has changed as much as 9 pounds on one day. That is why I use Google 15!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-08, 09:58
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

Cheesy fries from Outback are listed as the #1 worst restaurant food health wise.

I can gain 4-8 lbs for even a small cheat...although I am not a turtle...I can not cheat and expect real weight loss...I just go back and forth. Lesson learned ....never cheat. (my new motto)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-08, 16:50

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Please don't say never cheat. You're going to cheat. I'd rather call them indulgences than cheats, but whatever we call them.... We're going to pay for them with weight gain and diarrhea and stomach ache. Yes, it's water weight, and it goes away.

Meg
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 15:13
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesana
Please don't say never cheat. You're going to cheat. I'd rather call them indulgences than cheats, but whatever we call them.... We're going to pay for them with weight gain and diarrhea and stomach ache. Yes, it's water weight, and it goes away.

Meg

Well that is one way to look at it. You could also say that you should never say you shouldn't cheat on your spouse....that they are really just indulgences.

You pay extra on a LC way of eating when you cheat. Sometimes you pay 4-10 lbs...sometimes you undo months worth of work. It is not worth it. I am never going to let that in my mind again. I have failed for 10 years because I have thought of carbs as indulgences to be savored.

For me, they are poison and I am choosing to look at it like an alcoholic looks at at drink, one bite is too much because 1000 is never enough.

You can never overestimate the pain of a cheat. From what I can tell the ones who have been successful and maintained consider this a way of life not to be escaped, but enjoyed....a life without carbage.

The best thing to do when you cheat is learn and remember.

Now you are certainly entitled to your way of thinking and me mine...best of luck to you. Sincerely.. I just can't do it your way.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: Sensible reduced carbs
Stats: 276/259.8/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:35%/32%/10%
Progress: 21%

It is amaizing how much a persons weight can fluctuate in a day.
I swing 8-10 lbs some days!
For the OP, you found it was water weight.
Have you found the "whoosh" effect yet? =)

I will stick to my plan for a few weeks, cheat a lot for a day, then suddenly lose a lot of weight over the next few days!
It is almost like my body is scared, and that day of indulgence tells it that all is fine, and it goes back to burning off the weight.

Mike
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 12:23

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I see the OP is a little over 2 years old. But, the title got me. I lost over 10lbs during the summer on a high carb diet. I ate cereal everyday for 2 mos. The first month I lost 10lbs. At the beginning of the second month without changing anything at all, I gained it all back overnight. I thought it was water weight, I increased the amount I was drinking, doubled it. The scale didn't budge at all in the second month, even though I stuck to it. The weight stuck. So, either the 10lbs lost wasn't real in the first place, or my body is really good at storing carbs as fat. I have lost a little over 10lbs with my new WOE, I am still afraid it's all going to come back overnight.