Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant
Add keeping your sexual and mental health, both which suffer when a CRONbie. Both measures of true health and vitality

No, not true. Most CRONies do not go to that extreme.

How ignorant do you really have to be?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 01:11
Registered Member

The dihydrolipoamide acetyltransferase is a novel metabolic longevity factor and is required for calorie restriction mediated life span extension
Erin Easlon, Felicia Tsang, Ivanka Dilova, Chen Wang, Shu-Ping Lu, Craig Skinner, and Su-Ju Lin

Calorie restriction (CR) extends life span in a wide variety of species. Recent studies suggest that an increase in mitochondrial metabolism mediates CR induced life span extension. Here we present evidence that Lat1 (dihydrolipoamide acetyltransferase), the E2 component of the mitochondrial pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDH), is a novel metabolic longevity factor in the CR pathway. Deleting the LAT1 gene abolishes life span extension induced by CR. Over-expressing Lat1 extends life span and this life span extension is not further increased by CR. Similar to CR, life span extension by Lat1 over-expression largely requires mitochondrial respiration indicating mitochondrial metabolism plays an important role in CR. Interestingly, Lat1 over-expression does not require the Sir2 family to extend life span, suggesting Lat1 mediates a branch of the CR pathway that functions in parallel to the Sir2 family. Lat1 is also a limiting longevity factor in non-dividing cells in that over expressing Lat1 extends cell survival during prolonged culture at stationary phase. Our studies suggest that Lat1 over-expression extends life span by increasing metabolic fitness of the cell. CR may therefore also extend life span and ameliorate age-associated diseases by increasing metabolic fitness through regulating central metabolic enzymes.

PDF available here: http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/M607661200v1.pdf
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
No, not true. Most CRONies do not go to that extreme.

How ignorant do you really have to be?

To be CRONbie you must supress normal metabolism, not merely go on diet. You used to brag and sign your posts with your abnormal and extremely low cholesterol numbers (BP, core temperature, etc...), common to the CRONbie, that are indicative of both reduced mental function (including but not limited to depression, agressive behaviour, impaired memory) and abnormally low testosterone in men that leads to sexual disfunction.

Based upon science (and not desperate, wishful thinking and morbid fear of death), it is predicted that a human being can at best expect a mere year or so in life extension in trade for their sexuality and impaired mental function, what will a CRONbie-Lite trade for mere months (weeks?)?

and BTW, I can't get too worked up about the 'ignorant' comment, you already posted once that (to paraphrase) the fat have nothing to tell you about being healthy.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 11:05
Registered Member

Quote:
To be CRONbie you must supress normal metabolism

How many times!?! Do you actually read any of the posts or what?

Metabolism in mice, rhesus monkeys and humans return to normal after a few months. No difference at all from ad lib!
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 12:21

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

The Okinawa Diet Plan is an interesting read - good recipes too although too much soy for me but still plenty that don't inlcude it. Thanks for the recommendation Whoa.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 12:37
Registered Member

Quote:
How many times!?! Do you actually read any of the posts or what?

Metabolism in mice, rhesus monkeys and humans return to normal after a few months. No difference at all from ad lib!

I'm sorry Whoa, the fat must blocking my ear drums...

As always you are quite selective to what you respond. Maybe you need to start chewing on some blubber and downing a stick a butter to raise those cholesterol numbers to 'low normal'. Why all this bluster about chronic abnormally low body temperatures in the CRONbie forums? Why the common complaints of limiting physical exertion compared to when they were eating more? Both are signs of supressed metabolism. Low blood cholesterol results in chronic abnormally low testosterone levels for men. If you want to dietetically castrate yourself and become a eunuch for the cause of squeezing an extra few months out of a barren life, be my guest. At least be forthright about it. Go look at your numbers again and read something about normal male physiology as I suspect you wouldn't know from experience.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 12:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyLC
The Okinawa Diet Plan is an interesting read - good recipes too although too much soy for me but still plenty that don't inlcude it. Thanks for the recommendation Whoa.

It's an alright book, prefer okinawa program as its less about recipes and more about the 25 year centenarian study, and looking at all aspects of their life. If you can get this one out of the library or something then try...
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 12:55
Registered Member

Quote:
As always you are quite selective to what you respond. Maybe you need to start chewing on some blubber and downing a stick a butter to raise those cholesterol numbers to 'low normal'.

My cholesterol will rise as I age... no need for butter

Quote:
Why all this bluster about chronic abnormally low body temperatures in the CRONbie forums?

Cool mice live longer
36.5 C may be the best body temperature for fighting ageing.

by Helen Pearson
news~nature.com

It has long been held that the ideal human body temperature is a snug 37 degrees Celsius. Our bodies stick rigidly to it when healthy, and high fevers can be deadly. But a new study suggests that 36.5 C might be even better.

Mice cooled by half a degree below normal had a life expectancy 20 longer, or the equivalent of 7-8 additional human years.

The result implies that chilling human blood could also stretch out our lifespan, if a safe way can be found to do it. "Maybe from the point of view of survival, 37 is not exactly optimal," says lead researcher Bruno Conti of the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California.

Read the rest here: http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news-print.cfm?art=2900

In the baltimore longitudinal study they found men with lower body temperature was an indepedent biomarker associated with increased longevity.

Quote:
Why the common complaints of limiting physical exertion compared to when they were eating more? Both are signs of supressed metabolism.

I don't know, but CR only supresses metabolism in the short term. This is a fact.

Quote:
Low blood cholesterol results in chronic abnormally low testosterone levels for men.

Yes true, but who said Testosterone was pro longevity? While we know CR does really lower testosterone. Cronies can expect to maintain their levels well into advanced age. You know those mice on CR are having little baby mice after all ad lib are dead and are equivilent to a 90-100 year old human.

Quote:
squeezing an extra few months out of a barren life, be my guest.

But no one actually knows how long CR will give. As I said before, I don't know, neither do you... or any of the researchers. They are just all guesses, educated or not. The primates according to the theories against CR should not give them more than a couple years of extra life. Stick around please...

Quote:
At least be forthright about it. Go look at your numbers again and read something about normal male physiology as I suspect you wouldn't know from experience.

I know that CR maintains levels of sex hormones in animals, and humans. Okinwans start off with around 40% lower sex hormones than western people, but throughout life they decline at a much slower rate. I don't claim to want to be normal or think I am normal either. One of the CR researchers once said. .. When you CR an animal, it's like looking at a completely different animal in terms of how it functions. Genetic level, biochemical level...

It's an expiriment... I don't see what the bigg fuss is about. If no one does it then we'll never really know.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 13:01
Registered Member

I think i'll age much slower than all my friends who are the same age... Actually I already look around 6 ~ years younger than them. I added a new pic to profile (age 22y 2m). I get away with being only 15-16 all the time. I'll look and stay young well past 100
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 14:48
Registered Member

Quote:
My cholesterol will rise as I age... no need for butter

Yes, but still not even to the level of 'low normal'. You are and will stay in the zone for known for reduced mental and sexual function. 'Lower' is not 'Better.'

Quote:
In the baltimore longitudinal study they found men with lower body temperature was an indepedent biomarker associated with increased longevity.

I don't know, but CR only supresses metabolism in the short term. This is a fact.

Abnorally low body temperature is the sign of supressed metabolism, that's a fact. Inability to maintain previous levels of activity is a sign of a supressed metabolism. You youself mentioned that you couldn't maintain previous levels of activity, a common complain among the CRONbie. Has that been re-edited out of existence on these fora or do you just ignore the statement?

Quote:
Yes true, but who said Testosterone was pro longevity? While we know CR does really lower testosterone. Cronies can expect to maintain their levels well into advanced age. You know those mice on CR are having little baby mice after all ad lib are dead and are equivilent to a 90-100 year old human.

It may or may not be pro-longevity, but it is the primary hormone that makes a man a man. The fact that you wont give an inch that perhaps supressing a natural sex hormone that has far ranging effects on the body may be negative speaks volumes about you and the CRONbie Cult. You are effectively castrating yourself through the diet. How sad! (Somewhat interestingly eunuchs have long been noted for their long life.

Quote:
But no one actually knows how long CR will give. As I said before, I don't know, neither do you... or any of the researchers. They are just all guesses, educated or not. The primates according to the theories against CR should not give them more than a couple years of extra life. Stick around please...

Who would a reasonable person believe, scientists that specialize in the field or a group of obsessive/compulsives that are afraid to die? Anyway, hanging around self-castrating manic makes me nervous...

Quote:
I know that CR maintains levels of sex hormones in animals, and humans. Okinwans start off with around 40% lower sex hormones than western people, but throughout life they decline at a much slower rate.

Sure, when you start in the basement with regard to sex hormone levels, you remain in the basement. While 'normal' people are trying to maintain healthy sex hormone levels as they age, Cult members decide that having no sex hormones when young or old is really a positive. Do you ever think about what you write?
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 14:56
Registered Member

Quote:
I think i'll age much slower than all my friends who are the same age... Actually I already look around 6 ~ years younger than them. I added a new pic to profile (age 22y 2m). I get away with being only 15-16 all the time. I'll look and stay young well past 100

You look like a malnourished and stunted pre-pubescent adolescent. Look into the history and physiology of eunuchs and the effects on their bodies. As a positive, they are noted for long life. Of course the overwhelming majority of eunuchs became that way against their will, but hey, it's your experiment.

Question: are you more afraid of dying or maturing into a man?
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 15:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Ouch.......
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 15:55

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!

For those who might be interested in learning more about Matt's diet without all of the technical mumbo jumbo, you might like to read "The Longevity Diet" by Brian M. Delaney and Lisa Walford. It's a fascinating and easy read for those interested in living a longer healthier life.

All of us low carbers are already restricting our calories by varying degrees and this book simply shows us how to improve our health by choosing healthier, nutrient dense foods and limiting our empty calories.

Perhaps Whoa was right when he suggested the possibility of combining the best aspects of both Low Carb and CRON.

Bo
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 17:44

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
Ouch.......

The content of a post says a lot about the poster. Some are best simply ignored!

Bo
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy

Perhaps Whoa was right when he suggested the possibility of combining the best aspects of both Low Carb and CRON.

Bo

I'm sure you (and Whoa) are right about this. But what Whoa seems almost pathologically incapable of conceding is that the longevity benefits of the CR style he practices will probably kick in at a much smaller calorie restriction - as long as the evolutionarily appropriate diet - ie. low carb - is followed.

None of the CR research has looked at this. In fact the really dumb diets the poor Rhesus Monkeys (and rats, for that matter) are fed ( 'but they are more than adequate in all 'known' nutrient levels', I hear Whoa bleating) make it abundantly clear that almost the entire scientific community has no idea yet that macronutrient ratio is of critical importance in not just optimum health, but also maximum life span.

I'm fascinated that Whoa can admit in one post that even a small calorie restriction will extend livespan, so you only have to do the eunuch thing if you want the 'best' improvement, but then when you point out to him that low carb diets do that anyway, so we're all effectively CR'd, he seems to have trouble with the concept that because low carb diets (for humans) are healthier, they're bound to have some effect on maximum lifespan also , independently of calories. It seems patently absurd that health and maximum lifespan would be unconnected. That doesn't stop Whoa from claiming it is though, because the research that would make that connection clear, just hasn't been done.

The fact that the research that would prove this, has not been done yet, and will probably not be done for at least 20 yrs, allows Whoa to jump up and down with his plaintive: 'macronutrient ratio is irrelevant, it's the calories, only the calories'.

I think that's the main reason so many people find Whoa's stuff such nonsense. He doesn't quite get it yet that the health benefits of low carb will definitely enhance the Longevity benefits (and just so you don't weasel out of it this time Whoa, I mean average, and maximum lifespan) of CR.

Get your Low Carb house in order first Whoa, then you may not even have to eunuch yourself. Athough I fear from some of your posts that the possibility of being able to get the longevity benefits of emaciation CR without the emaciation bit, fills you with a kind of dread. It's almost as if you just don't want to hear that your self imposed body composition sapping semi starvation wasn't necessary after all.

And let's just be clear. Plenty of posters in these CR threads don't seem to think living a long time is that important. I'm not one of them. Just watching the advances in technology and leisure time in the last few short years fills me with an almost palpable desire to go on watching it unfold for as long as I can. But if the sacrifice is dumping my body composition and effectively emaciating myself is the only way, forget it.

Of course you're free to choose to do so. You think it's the only way. In fact the overwhelming majority of research would agree with you. But you should keep reminding yourself that an even more overwhelming majority of (how did you describe it?: 'good epidemiological') research still argues that low carb diets generally, and high sat fat low carb diets specifically, are very unhealthy. This forum is a growing community of people who are busy discovering that most of it is nonsense.

So keep trotting out your Sirt1 studies till the (full fat) cows come home Whoa. I find them interesting too. But I think even the people who leap to your defense suspect that the undoubted longevity (and health) benefits of CR are going to kick in a lot earlier (at a smaller calorie restriction) on a Low carb diet.

Heaven knows Whoa, you've hung around here long enough, you may even choose to join us .

Last edited by kneebrace : Fri, Jan-12-07 at 18:23.