Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 12:01
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Oh the first model was so beautiful the other looked like a 14 year old girl... No way No way would I think that is an adult woman.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 12:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
I thought I was thin, that is way too much. People should give a bit more respect to others around here though, thats what I think.

I knew somebody would say this. IMO, if you're volunteering to compete on television for what must be the most shallow competition there is - "who's got the best body" - criticism of said bodies is fair game.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 12:10

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I knew somebody would say this. IMO, if you're volunteering to compete on television for what must be the most shallow competition there is - "who's got the best body" - criticism of said bodies is fair game.

VERY true.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

It's weird why the models are going for BMI's way below 18... Is it pressure from the industry they're in? or do they really think they look good with a BMI of 16? =/
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 15:44

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
concerned with what 43-year old middle-American guys think

i think this is what most normal, average and even overweight women are concerned about, not what some stupid fashionista crowd thinks....

i couldn't care less what fashionable people think of me. I wonder what regular guys think of me....i would love to look like Jen and am working toward that. I don't care what size i get to, i want to look curvy and defined, voluptuous and sexy to a regular guy. He would have more impact on my life than a bunch of 'pipe cleaners' from a totally different universe than mine.

I have heard before that guys prefer softer looking ladies than the 'chicken wing' look, but for that to sink into the collective unconscious, you guys are going to have to get off the couch and tell your ladies that you like them that way!!!! All you guys with SO's know that women need to HEAR you say what you love about them. Don't just assume they know, because they don't. TELL THEM! BE VERY SPECIFIC! Tell them why you like the softer, rounder bits. Wouldn't you love it if your lady told you she loved your wide shoulders because she felt like a delicate lady when she's by your side? Pick something you love and describe why you love it. Believe me, she will love you for it and you will get a great reward for your effort. Guaranteed!

So guys, time to speak up!

End of rant!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 15:44

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

The thing about the fashion industry is that, on the runway the models are supposed to be thin, they are supposed to act as if they are a human clothes hanger. Thus, they are supposed to be thin. What I don't get with this reasoning is....it's clothing...supposed to be worn by humans...why showcase them on a walking stick? Why do runway? Why don't you just hang the clothing on racks so people can look at them? It just always seemed nonsensical and silly to me.

Yeah, the one that eats looks good, no question there, it shouldn't even be debated.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 18:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Body aside, she looks like an albino vulcan. Someone do something with her eyebrows.

When a persons knees are wider than their thighs, the shape of their eyebrows is the least of their problems.

For the record, both of my dds were revolted by the very thin model. I didn't show them on purpose, but they happened to be walking by when I was reading this thread and they both stopped and said, almost together, "Ewwww Mom! What is wrong with that girl?? All her bones are sticking out!"
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 01:25
Registered Member

ok lisa, shes quite skinny, but shes not that bad. If you want to look at 'real' emaciation maybe look at starving people like these Here The larger model also has bones sticking out btw...

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Nov-29-06 at 01:31.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 02:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
ok lisa, shes quite skinny, but shes not that bad. If you want to look at 'real' emaciation maybe look at starving people like these Here The larger model also has bones sticking out btw...

I don't understand, Whoa. What exactly are you trying to prove?
The emaciated people in your link have been tortured and deliberately starved.
The pictured model has chosen to eat that way.

Rosebud
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 03:48
Registered Member

It doesn't really matter how they got that way, its the severity of emaciation. It sort of puts it in perspective when you have a 'range' of BMI's from extreme-low to extreme high. How ones perceives the model to look is changed by what you're exposed to everyday. When you look at the other pictures which is extreme, then in a way the model doesn't look 'as bad' (but still skinny nevertheless).
I don't know what monitors you're using but I can't count all her bones on that picture (over exaggerated imo), but you can count quite a few from the other pictures. I too think she could put on 10lbs or so and look better, i'm not saying she should be at that weight... I hope you get my point now?
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 04:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
It doesn't really matter how they got that way, its the severity of emaciation. It sort of puts it in perspective when you have a 'range' of BMI's from extreme-low to extreme high. How ones perceives the model to look is changed by what you're exposed to everyday. When you look at the other pictures which is extreme, then in a way the model doesn't look 'as bad' (but still skinny nevertheless).
I don't know what monitors you're using but I can't count all her bones on that picture (over exaggerated imo), but you can count quite a few from the other pictures. I too think she could put on 10lbs or so and look better, i'm not saying she should be at that weight... I hope you get my point now?

I could be wrong, but it just sounds to me as though you are somehow attempting to justify the glorification of anorexic models.

And using victims of torture for comparison is just plain abhorrent to me. JMO

Rosebud
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 05:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

Whoah, skinny is what my youngest daughter is at 4' 4" tall (116.5 cm) and 65 pounds. I seriously doubt that the emaciated model has a BMI of 16; 14 would be a lot closer and it's probably less than that. If she were lying down as those in the pictures you liked to, she would probably look very much like the woman in the first picture. I also echo what Rosebud said in that those in the link were starved and tortured against their will. The model in these pictures has made a deliberate choice to starve herself and look as she does.
Oh...and you're supposed to see a woman's clavicle, you aren't supposed to see hip bones protruding prominently or be able to see where a person's ribs attach to their sternum.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 07:37

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

What the heck is that sticking out from her tummy? Is that the upper part of her pelvis? I have never seen something so gross!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandra
Are these any better?

#44   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 09:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

So basically, what you are saying Whoah, is that because the model isn't actually close to death, it's alright?

If she was simply a victim of anorexia we'd shake our heads and feel sorry for her.

But that's not how she is presented. She is presented as a contestant in a super model contest. She is presented as glamourous, as beautiful, as a role model young girls should emulate. She frigging won second place, when she should never ever have made it on the show. That's why we object so strongly about it.

Last edited by Angeline : Wed, Nov-29-06 at 09:54.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 11:22
Registered Member

no I never said it was alright at all... I wont repeat it. read what i said.