Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 15:57

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

i think its 10-12 times your current weight!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think some people assosiate food-dat with body fat. The saying goes, "you are what you eat!" and there are some people who actually think that the fat from that steak is the same fat that will now become a part of your body. It isn't the fat, but the calories in it.... fat free foods get stored as fat just as much as high fat ones. Like soda, candy, jelly, bread, etc. And almonds are high in fat, but a lot of people have lost weight eating them in moderation because they're so filling. Don't be afraid of the fat, you'll never be full until you get the fat you crave. But avoid the carbs! At least the empty white carbs.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 00:14
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think the idea of more fat in the diet makes a lot of sense. One of the first signs that a person has become diabetic is sudden weight loss in the absence of any change in diet or exercise.

I'm doing the Fat Fast now, and for the first time in almost 10 months, I've begun to lose some weight. Needless to say, I'm limited at the moment to 1000 calories/day, but 90% of those calories come from fat. I may find that I no longer continue to lose when I move to the 1200 cal/day Modified Fat Fast on Tuesday. If that's the case, then I'll just slowly reduce the calories until I begin to lose again. But I definitely wiil keep the fat high, although perhaps not at 90%. I know I'm not getting enough protein right now, so I will increase that before I try to increase carbs.

Great thread, with some important information for everyone!
  #64   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 03:28

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

Bumping - some eye-opening advice
  #65   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 19:56

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I am glad you bumped this, it just makes so much sense. I continue to struggle with weight but I try to follow lowcarb and if you do you can make the mistake of taking in too few calories andthe only way to up them is with FAT!
We have cut TRANS FAT from our diet in the last few years, amazingly I no longer get sore throats and we rarely get sick. I do not know what the connection is but it is surprising to us!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 19:17

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Bumping again to praise the clear ways the information was presented in this thread, and to ask a question about high-fat.

What do we have in the low-carb lifestyle that's absorbent enough to soak up all this fat we want to eat, to get it into us? I've reached the limit of how much fat I'm willing to lick off the plate. I can't think of things that will absorb and convey it, like we used to mop it up with bread. I'd love some ideas.

Meg
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: PP (ish)
Stats: 169/145/142 Female 57"
BF:
Progress: 89%

This thread has some great links and I am so glad to read about people who have researched and understood the low carb effect on their body. I have two co-workers who were inspired by my success that started lc ing but quit because one was diagnosed with diabetes in the first stages of her induction, the other had high cholesteral. They were anxious to let me know as to save me from their fate. I could only shake my head and smile. They had their opinions on what caused their conditions, obviously not reading the book they ran out to buy to have the weight loss success they saw me have then succumbing to all the old misconceptions.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 240/215/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Actually, to take the fact one step further (it's no theory .. this is firmly established in science and FACT ) .. it is the absence of INSULIN that makes this possible.

Insulin is required to assist glucose to enter the cells to be used for fuel. If there's more glucose than is required at the moment, then insulin will cause it to be stored as FAT. It will also cause any excess fat from the diet to be stored as fat, since it's not required as fuel (there's already too much glucose). Another role of insulin is to inhibit fat-burning. It prevents the fat cells from releasing their fat stores (both as a biological "conservation" mechanism, and to prevent the fat from competing with glucose as a fuel source).

When you restrict carbohydrates in your diet, you effectively reduce the amount of insulin produced, as your body switches over to burning ketones for fuel instead of glucose. Without so much insulin floating around, your fat cells will be able to release stored fat more easily. Without so much insulin floating around, the fat you EAT will not be stored as fat either.

So what happens to the fat you eat?? Well, some will be used in the repair and structure of cell walls throughout the body, and to make vital hormones. Some may used for energy. The rest is WASTED. That's right, wasted. The fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids in the bowel, by the action of enzymes and bile. These fatty acids are absorbed into the bloodstream and taken to the liver, where they are further processed ... into ketones, and into other fatty acid components. Some of the ketones may be used for fuel. Mostly they are excreted in the urine, stool and breath (via the lungs). Unused free fatty acid components are also excreted. Why?? Because once fatty acids are broken down into the smaller ketone, acetone and fatty esterols .. they CANNOT be converted back into fat. That's basic Biochemistry 101. Without insulin, they cannot be forced into storage in the fat cells. So they are eliminated. This is what Atkins refers to as the "Metabolic Advantage".

My explanation is very simplistic .. there's more involved, such as the release of glucagon from the pancreas, etc ... If you're truly curious about this, we had an excellent discussion a few months ago on this subject. You can read about it starting here .. it's a long thread, with lots of lofty discussion

What does this have to do with calories and eating fat? Well, when you're wasting fat, you're wasting the potential energy (ie the calories) that it would otherwise provide. Lets look at a sample day's intake:
  • 20g carbs (80 calories)
    120g protein (480 calories)
    120g fat (1080 calories)
    total calories = 1660, and 65% of that is fat calories.
However, research shows that by the process of wasting fatty acids, as I described above .. the actual caloric contribution of dietary fat, in the absence of insulin is only about half, or roughly 5 calories per gram. Given that knowledge, lets have another look at the sample day's intake:
  • 20g carbs (80 calories)
    120g protein (480 calories)
    120g fat (approx. 600 calories)
    total calories = 1180, of which 51% comes from fat.
There is plenty of evidence to show that consistently eating below a certain caloric level will result in the slowing of the metabolic rate, as an adaptive "survival" mecanism. The body thinks it's starving, so it turns the thermostat down to conserve fuel. Your engines will run on less and less. In other words the less you eat on a continual basis, the less you will NEED on a permanent basis. This will only work against you in the long run, making it increasingly difficult to lose fat weight, and also making it easier to GAIN fat if you return to a carbohydrate & insulin-based way of eating. So eat up, and especially eat FAT

The other question is how does eating fat stimulate the burning of BODY fat?? Well, it acts like kindling. It primes the liver into fat-burning and ketone-production mode. Once this ketone production is in full swing, and the dietary fat is used up, the liver starts looking for more source of fat to process. It turns to your body fat stores .

Hope this is helpful,

Doreen

Golden post!
If you're not metabolically deranged 2-3k kcal a day shouldn't be a problem if it's the right foods.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 19:48

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I have just read this thread through from the beginning. We have come so far in our understanding of how we can use the body's endocrine and balancing systems to lose weight more efficiently on a higher calorie, high fat diet, than on a low calorie, high carb one.

A page or two back, someone tried to use the "calories in/calories out" claim (from back in 2006, I think?) and used the example of 10000 cal of fat. The interesting thing, that I think most of us have seen, is that if we eat ENOUGH calories of fat, we are incapable of eating too much, because we are just not hungry.

In GCBC, Gary Taubes quotes a researcher who was working with volunteers in a weight gain experiment. Those eating 10K cals in a high carb diet stayed hungry. Those eating a low carb, high fat diet wouldn't gain; they simply couldn't eat enough fat and protein to gain weight.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 08:11

Plan: Keto less than 30/day
Stats: 245/216/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny
This thread has some great links and I am so glad to read about people who have researched and understood the low carb effect on their body. I have two co-workers who were inspired by my success that started lc ing but quit because one was diagnosed with diabetes in the first stages of her induction, the other had high cholesteral. They were anxious to let me know as to save me from their fate. I could only shake my head and smile. They had their opinions on what caused their conditions, obviously not reading the book they ran out to buy to have the weight loss success they saw me have then succumbing to all the old misconceptions.

Yikes! I guess all we can do is hope they get on the right track! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May and I've never felt better! I have it under control between the LC diet, moderate activity, and benfotiamine supplements. Neuropathy pain is almost entirely gone.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 09:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ancient thread has arisen from the grave. Last posting was: 9/23/03.

Wanda, maybe start a new thread? Lots of water has passed under this bridge. We've learned new things, have fresh advice to give.