Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

Well, its been quite awhile since I've peeked back at this thread--several months in fact. I will say this, I noticed I was at 158 the last time I was here (had started Atkins "clean" no cheats, 5 years ago and even gained 4-5 lbs on it). I'm not at all saying Atkins doesn't work --it just didn't work for my SLOW metabolism--even the fat fast...

I finally found a plan that works for my 'slow as molasses' metabolism. Its Lean for Life. I am now 12 lbs less (146) than I was the last time I was here....
And yes, you're correct about the cals and 'survival' mode. On this plan, I was told I needed to go on Metabolic Adjustment because I had really slowed down my 'burner' from all of the dieting. I was also told that there are a few folks (I'm apparently one of them), who don't do as well on higher fat.
Just thought I would give an update.
Carol
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 14:57

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

A few claims in this thread are a little disturbing, such as the claim that the body can't convert dietary fat into body fat with low insulin levels. Feed someone 10,000 kcal of fat, it will store plenty of extra fat. The body has to do something about it.

I don't know if it is such a good idea to plan in the "metabolic advantage" into your daily caloric estimates. I know that the inefficiencies of ketosis mostly go away after a while as the body adjusts which organs need ketones and which can live off tryglycerides.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

It may be because I'm 53, but I know that for some reason, I (unfortunately), cannot rely on this 'metabolic advantage' for my own wt. loss. Believe me, I sure wish I could--I really enjoyed the Atkins plan and saw so many people losing tons of weight on it. This 'bod' has to go the lower fat/lower cal route (with smaller meals more frequently throughout the day) --with a heavy dose of exercise too!

Carol
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:19
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

Lots of great info here - I'm still trying to be ok with eating fat after 10 years of Ornish/McDougall LF/mostly veg eating (and gaining 60 lbs ). Carbs were killing me! Still gravitating toward lower fat meats out of habit . . . but enjoying coffee w/ h&h tremendously !
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 00:45

Plan: Atkins,Vegatarian,myself
Stats: 204.6/187/167.2 Female 178cm
BF:More than I want
Progress: 47%

Wanted to bump this thread as it is imprtant
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/???/130 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hey VegoMum,

Thanks for bringing this threadup. I just spent an hour reading and my eyes are openned. More Calories (from fat) for me tomorrow.

Thank you all who contributed
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 19:06
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

Still eatin' fat and losing weight! Yahoo!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 161/161/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

i'm confused now. the original poster said she gained weight by eating more fat so I am even more confused than before I read this post.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 09:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This might give you some insight

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=31615

Karen
  #55   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 08:16

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Stuart,
I am starting to think that a low GI diet would be better than just atkins.

As far as I have read - the body can turn excess protein into fat; protein will raise insulin if carbs are restricted enough. So most of the people who eat large amounts of proteins should eventually stall. (According to this theory)

I am starting to wonder if a balance of carbs & proteins with portion control is best. And also, I have been reading a tad on the hormonal thing and I am begining to wonder about that.

Your big words baffle me; I only half get what you are saying. It takes a bit for new ideas to sink in my old noggin- but I am on the case now; once I start considering new things I cant stop.

I enjoyed reading your ideas and I have read similar things.

Anyway, if you have a list of books or sites about these ideas, please let me know. I am very interested.

Last edited by MoseyMan : Sat, May-07-05 at 08:36.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 11:56
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%
Default Metabolism and the Mature Woman

I wish I could rely on a higher fat diet to lose. It just doesn't work for me. I went the high fat route for two years and could only lose about twenty pounds. I cut out the dairy and the artificial sweeteners and it didn't change anything. I think that for me anyway, as I've gotten older (49) my metabolism just can't handle eating pork steaks on a daily basis anymore. It's sad, but there you go. Those calories counted for me.

I'm now eating at about 23 percent fat, 32 percent carbs, 45 percent protein, I average about 100 grams of carb a day from vegetables and fruits. My fats come from low fat dairy, meat and fish, and fish oil. I eat only very lean cuts of beef, chicken breast, turkey and fish. I vary my calories in two week blocks from 1200 to 1500. I've been lifting weights and doing aerobic exercise for five weeks now. I'm finally getting past the initial twenty pounds that I lost on the high fat plan and I'm doing this in record time for me.

I have no doubt that for my pre menopausal metabolism that this is the right route for me. It's working and I feel great.

I'm so grateful for this forum because it offers so many different low carb plans that we can experiment with until we find the one that works for us. One size does not fit all.

Signey
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%

WOW! Great thread! I just recently was wondering, with my excercise level so high, why the scale wasn't moving. I work out 5 times a week. 3 days 6 mile run and the other 2 weight lifting. I too, think I was eating too little bit. I read somewhere, I think from Doreen, that a large person needs at least 60 grams of protein a day.?.? I think it was something like that. On the "What causes stalls section". I am so not even close to that intake. So, I started eating more protein and am trying to eat smaller more frequent meals and have so much energy. I hope this is the answer to my prayers. Thanks Doreen & Andy for the info....
  #58   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 15:03
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

shpgrl..you look amazing! the scale probably isn't moving because you're building muscle while you lose fat....since you're working out so much..i bet you're losing inches tho! Keep up the good work...and way to go!
  #59   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%

Sam22,
Thanks for the encouragement! Hey, You go girl! YOu've done a great job yourself! Keep it up!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 19:46

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I read through all of the great information here and the fat stuff makes sense, but I am a little confused about the calories stuff. I know some people have to count calories even when eating lc, I think I may be one of those, but are you supposed to eat 10 to 12 times your current weight in calories or 10 to 12 times your desired weight? Or just ignore it all?