Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I just wanted you thank you guys for the great information!! This is something I've believed in, but always wondered about and didn't really "get," making discussions with people who are anti-fat, and even pro-low carb (my husband) but sceptical about the very large amounts of fat difficult because there were some things about this woe I could not explain.

Have a great weekend,
Meg
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:26
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

I just had to reply to this post...actually was linked here from another board to read this about fat...

I've been KISSING (eating nothing but roasted turkey and legal veggies), for the last 4 days. I actually added in an extra serving of veggies yesterday and used yesterday's menu to plug into Fitday.com (just to see exactly what I am really eating here). Would you believe, I started on day one at 158 lbs (which I somehow had gone up to from 154 about 5 weeks ago--not doing anything differently with my regular lowcarb fare), AND today I am at 157.4--5 days into this!! Here is my breakdown from Fitday (I am not convinced that reducing calories OR adding fat for that mater is the answer to my problem --since I have been stuck here for 4.5 years!!!):

Cals: 914
Fat: 56 gms
Carbs 16
Prot 87 (maybe too much??)

%'s
Fats: 56%
Carbs: 5%
Prot: 39%

I don't know what else to tweak!
Thanks for letting me vent!

Carol
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oowwoo
I've been KISSING (eating nothing but roasted turkey and legal veggies), for the last 4 days. I actually added in an extra serving of veggies yesterday and used yesterday's menu to plug into Fitday.com (just to see exactly what I am really eating here).

Would you believe, I started on day one at 158 lbs (which I somehow had gone up to from 154 about 5 weeks ago--not doing anything differently with my regular lowcarb fare), AND today I am at 157.4--5 days into this!!
Carol, correct me if I am wrong, but KISS isn't about limiting fat - it's about avoiding frankenfoods and sugar replacements and getting back to basics. Basics, according to the Atkins center is aiming for 65% fat.

Can I believe that your weight has shot up eating 900 calories a day? You bet I can. This is typically what happens when you restirct calories too much for too long.

-Nat
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5ī7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%
Smile

oops please read above

Last edited by becky160 : Tue, Sep-09-03 at 21:12.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5ī7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%
Smile oh no.....

Hi,
Remember that you need to induce your body to start burning fat and get into Ketosis. the only way to burn fat, is by eating fat. donīt worry about fat consumption, worry about getting less than 20 gms of carbs.

Try that for a week, ok and see if it works for you. It should.
If you do no loose weight then try eliminating all carbs consumption. If that don't work neither, then you have a metabolic resistance.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 05:55
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

Thanks--I pulled out my Atkins book again the other night and re-read the chapter on Metabolically Resistant people...(i.e. that would be me...I havent' lost a thing on regular induction).
So, here I am as of yesterday, starting Fat fast (had done it quite some time ago, but only lost a lb. and promptly gained it back going back to induction).

Carol
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:52

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 155/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

THIS is an excellent thread. I was very confused before abou the entire high calorie/high fat equals weight loss. I wasn't sure how this was possible. I was doing the high fat/low calorie thing. So here is my question...Since I'm a little obsessive, I know I will continue to count calories, but this time I will count to make sure I'm not going too low. Where should I try to keep the cals?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 14:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/170/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Rosemam, they say you should be eating 10-12 times your body weight in calories a day. Good luck on your new endeavor.

I have a question...My cholesterol has gone way up after being on Atkin's for 5 months. Does anyone know what I should cut back on? I know I eat too much red meat and use too much heavy cream so I've cut back on those but I'm not willing to quit the diet. My stats aren't current...I am now down to 163! Thanks for any advise! Nicki
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 17:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki
..I have a question...My cholesterol has gone way up after being on Atkin's for 5 months. Does anyone know what I should cut back on? I know I eat too much red meat and use too much heavy cream so I've cut back on those but I'm not willing to quit the diet. My stats aren't current...I am now down to 163! Thanks for any advise! Nicki

hi Nicki,

I've replied to your question here. YOu're actually doing just fine

Doreen
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 14:51
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
What does this have to do with calories and eating fat? Well, when you're wasting fat, you're wasting the potential energy (ie the calories) that it would otherwise provide. Lets look at a sample day's intake:
  • 20g carbs (80 calories)
    120g protein (480 calories)
    120g fat (1080 calories)
    total calories = 1660, and 65% of that is fat calories.
However, research shows that by the process of wasting fatty acids, as I described above .. the actual caloric contribution of dietary fat, in the absence of insulin is only about half, or roughly 5 calories per gram. Given that knowledge, lets have another look at the sample day's intake:
  • 20g carbs (80 calories)
    120g protein (480 calories)
    120g fat (approx. 600 calories)
    total calories = 1180, of which 51% comes from fat.
There is plenty of evidence to show that consistently eating below a certain caloric level will result in the slowing of the metabolic rate, as an adaptive "survival" mecanism. The body thinks it's starving, so it turns the thermostat down to conserve fuel. Your engines will run on less and less. In other words the less you eat on a continual basis, the less you will NEED on a permanent basis. This will only work against you in the long run, making it increasingly difficult to lose fat weight, and also making it easier to GAIN fat if you return to a carbohydrate & insulin-based way of eating. So eat up, and especially eat FAT

So what becomes the "cutoff" point for "the absence of insulin"? If one is increasing carbs past the Induction level, when does this metabolic advantage no longer exist?

So the 10-12X rule we see kicking around should actually be higher?

Wanda
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:40
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
So the 10-12X rule we see kicking around should actually be higher?

Ignore this! I never did excell at math. But I'm still curious about what the "absence of insulin" is defined as.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Nov-05-03 at 07:24.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 00:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Wanda,

Sorry I didn't see your post previously The "absence of insulin" refers more to its lack of action than its lack of physical presence, and is relative to glucagon as the dominant metabolic hormone. As I'd stated in that same post, my explanation is very simplistic. The intent was to allay the fat phobias of lowcarbers who have a hard time accepting that they won't blow up as big as a house if they eat more than the Food Pyramid levels of fat ... There is a link in that post to another thread, which does offer more in-depth discussion on the matter .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...2411#post182411

Insulin is always present, even in a ketogenic diet, although the amount is very low. Because there are a few cells in the body which can only use glucose (red blood cells, the retina of the eye and a small part of the mid-brain), a nominal amount of insulin is secreted to enable the uptake of glucose .. which is made quite nicely in the liver from protein, via the process of gluconeogenesis. The only time where there is a true absence of insulin is when the beta cells of the pancreas fail .. resulting in Type 1 diabetes.

As to the "10 - 12 x" thing ... to the best of my knowledge, it's intended to be a ballpark guide to aim at, offered to folks who are evidently undereating to encourage them to eat more. Inevitably, folks want to know "how much more?", so a guide such as 10 - 12 x weight in calories can be helpful to know how much is the least to strive for.

Hope that helps

Doreen
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 07:43
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Doreen:

Thanks for that link. Sorry, I was taking a simplistic answer and making it more complicated. I guess the only way to know that the "absense of insulin" (meaning absense of action) is alive and well is if one is in ketosis. That's very interesting data you've provided.

Wanda
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 01:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Wink Bump

I like this thread, so I give it a big (((((BUMP)))))!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 17:51
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%
Default Bump

Just bumping this thread up. It sure helped me with my questions.
Hope it helps you!