Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

p.s. Speaking of customers---the fellow I saw at A & W last night made up for a zillion complaining customers. The cashier had actually UNDERCHARGED the man ten dollars. He didn't notice at first but when he looked at his reciept he finally noticed and took the reciept and money to the cashier. At first she didn't understand the discrepancy. Finally she did and took the money. That probably made her day as she would have no doubt gotten in trouble otherwise.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 11:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I will tell you that I go out to eat more often with non low carbers and just give them my potato, fries, rice, bread that they always leave and I always fill out a comment card.
One: its gets the messege through and
Two: You can get a coupon for your next meal
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 11:58

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Note I said SOMETHING I CAN REMOVE MYSELF - I think getting something totally different like comparing steak & pasta???? But to each his own.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 13:25

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds8957
Doesnt matter to me if you take offense. I am an honest person and I value honesty.

it should matter, considering that i am a fellow human being and you made a personal, ad hominem attack (as weak as it may have been) that was undeserved.

Quote:
This thread began when a person got "VERY Angry" when he was told "no problem, it'll be ready in a moment", when he gave a special order. He then waited for 20 minutes, and apparently the special order WAS a problem.

So the person was lied to by the waitress about how long it would take, and that it was "no problem" to give him what he asked for.

as others have already pointed out, the server is NOT the cook. we have no way of knowing where the chain of communication broke down, or what shortcomings caused the error. so the "no problem" comment isn't a lie at all, unless the server maliciously intended to load up the salad in question with carrots and croutons. it was a mistake, however it was one that could have caused serious problems.

Quote:
So your response to the situation then would be to do the same thing and make up a lie about being deathly allergic to croutons? Oh come on, give me a break.

now, now... let's be honest. i said highly allergic, not deathly.

Quote:
And I cannot believe you believe you have a right to "take offence" when someone suggests that telling a lie is not the right thing to do.

well, to be honest, i have the right to take offense at anything i want. you also didn't merely say that telling a lie wasn't the right thing to do, you made an implication that my suggestion of claiming an allergy to the offending foods (which OTHERS also suggested, so i'm not sure why i'm being singled out here) indicated that i was of such low character that i would ALSO lie about my weight on, of all things, a weight loss forum.

Quote:
Proverbs 12:22 "Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight."

i'll make you a deal... you never quote scripture to me again and i won't tell you to drop the holier-than-thou attitude, ok?
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 14:03

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

This discussion reminds me of Joe Pesci [as Leo Getz] in the Lethal Weapon movies. He complains that they slipped him tuna fish and that "everybody only checks that they got the right stuff" when they get home and it's now too late to go all the way back to get it straightened out, so you settle [for tuna fish].

cjl
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 17:42

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

I don't get too worked up when an occasional mistake is made. What I find more and more though is that messed up orders are not the exception, they are the rule.

Since I used to eat virtually all of my meals from one of five fast food restaurants (always drive through), it got so bad that I actually started keeping score on a piece of paper I had in the car. At one Wendy's they screwed up five orders in a row. At the KFC/A&W they screwed up three and when I went in the next time I asked them what magic phrase needed to be used to get no tomatos. The guy said, "Just ask for no tomatos." I responded, deadpan, "Nope, that ain't it. I've tried that three times in a row and it hasn't worked yet. So I'll just leave it in your hands to say whatever has to be said to whoever it needs to be said to so that no tomatos get placed on the sandwich. And, while I'm at it, it would be really nice to actually get salt, and pepper, and butter, and napkins seeing as how I have also ordered two corn on the cob."

So the guy laughs and repeats back, "blah, blah, blah with extra tomato, blah, blah." He said it in a light hearted way so I just said, light heartedly, "It better not have!"

So I pull up and he makes this big show of dropping the salt, the pepper, and the butter into the bag before giving it to me. So I try to show appreciation by not checking the order. Bad move on my part. I had exactly one packet of salt, one of pepper, and one of butter. No napkins at all. But, really didn't need them, because he also didn't put in the two orders of corn on the cob. Just the sandwich, which had three slices of tomato on it. I wasn't angry. I wasn't upset. I....was....livid!!! The receipt didn't have the store's phone number and they aren't listed in the phone book. So I look it up on the internet. I call, they pick up, I hear them talking to each other, then they hang up. I call back, they don't even pick up. So I call their national costumer care line. They take my complaint and said they were sending out a gift certificate for a free meal. Never showed up. I haven't been back to that store since and never will again (LC or not).

But my REAL pet peave is when you report a mistake and get the, "We're so sorry, they're new," response from the manager. Now I simply say, "That's okay, I understand. Since it's your job to ensure that your crew is properly trained, could you please tell me when you plan to have that done so that I can come back then?" Usually I get something along the lines of, "Well, we've always got new people." To which I reply, "So, let me understand this. I'm supposed to ignore incorrect orders whenever someone is new, but you've always got someone new. So what you're really telling me is that it is unreasonable for me to ever expect to get an order filled correctly at this establishment. Thank you, I'll give my money to someplace that has a slightly different business model from now on."
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 18:31

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

wbahn: sweeeeeeeeeet... i wanna go through drive-thrus with you . i've noticed though that the drive-throughs with the screens cut down somewhat on order screw-ups. you can see what they're punching in so you make sure everything you want is there... too bad it doesn't also guarantee that the people inside can read english (or any other language, for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
But my REAL pet peave is when you report a mistake and get the, "We're so sorry, they're new," response from the manager.

this gets me too, but what's worse is when they've got someone on the front registers that has no clue where (or what) anything is on the keypad. it takes them longer to find the items you want than it does for them to be made, and it's worse when there's nobody around to help them.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 18:41

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

What I REALLY want to do, but I haven't figured out the way to finish it off, it so go up and have an exchange that goes something like this:

Clerk: "Order when you're ready."
Me: "Yes, Let's keep this simple. Put a couple of somethings in a bag, I'll give you ten dollars, and you give me a few ones and some random coins back. Whatever you give me, I'll pretend that's what I ordered and whatever change you give me back I'll pretend it's the correct amount. That way I will finally be able to say that I actually got what I ordered and received the proper change back. And, as a truly unexpected bonus...both in the same visit!"
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 07:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

mcdonalds is what slays me...i don't know how many times they asked me to pull up just so they can get my half n half for my coffee...once i waited (i dont know why must've been desperate for coffee) for fifteen minutes all for half n half. it has happened so much you'd think they'd put all their half n half right by the window.
once i ordered a coffee and the girl gave it to me (this was before they started adding in cream) and there was no cream...i said "i also ordered six half n half...she said "there are none here they're in the back" and she didn't move...i said "well, aren't you going to go get them?" and the intellectual response of a sixteen year old worker at mcdonalds "uuuuuh,,hmmmm" and she still didn't move. i was so peeved.

i have so many complaints with mcd's. all through my pregnancy last year i was addicted to their ice cream cones. i don't know how many times i ordered a large and it came out smaller than the small..once i ordered a small and a large and they were the same...so i looked at them and asked which one is which and she said "i don't know" once they gave me half a cone with little ice cream and tried to give it to me but i wouldn't take it... that place was really pushing a pregnant woman's buttons.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 00:53
Registered Member

Stats: 216/167/155 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy0912
i have so many complaints with mcd's.

Hey stacy, there isn't much you can eat at McDonalds that is acceptable for a person on low-carb. Only the salads pass the carb test, and thats if you get the right dressing.

Maybe you should just NEVER go there
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:04

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Hey stacy, there isn't much you can eat at McDonalds that is acceptable for a person on low-carb. Only the salads pass the carb test, and thats if you get the right dressing.

Maybe you should just NEVER go there

did i say i go there now?
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:23
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Just last night I stopped there, got a double cheeseburger and tossed the bun, it was a quick hunger attack fix for a dollar.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
Just last night I stopped there, got a double cheeseburger and tossed the bun, it was a quick hunger attack fix for a dollar.

I do that once in a great while, too. Get a double burger or quarter pounder and toss the bun.
What really burns my [low carb, of course] toast is ordering a diet drink and getting a regular. Once when I brought it back to the counter, the employee said, "Can't you just drink the regular?". Needless to say, the manager and I had a wee discussion regarding what regular pop does to a diabetic's blood sugar.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 06:57
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

yes, that would mess me up too, luckily, it has not happened to me so far, but I shall be careful, thanks for the warning!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-06, 11:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If it's not a "self-serve" situation, or they don't have the drinks in bottles or the dispenser in plain sight, I get water anymore. I'm not diabetic, but if I'm going to have THAT many carbs, I'm surely not going to waste them on a Coke!