Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-06, 12:38

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%
Default I'm VERY Angry!!

Just some proof that you can't even get what you PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!

I'm not much of a rant person but, I just have to vent.

I had meetings all morning at work, and was stuck trying to search around for lunch (I left my lovely salad in the frig this morning!!). I went to a resturant by my job, I've been there befor while LC'ing and while the menu isn't geared towards LC (with the exception of a few items) the staff is usually fairly helpful and willing to change stuff around.

Ok - so I order a blackened chicken salad. I ask for TWO things (no croutons and no carrots). The young girl smiles and says "no problem, it'll be ready in a moment".

I sit waiting for like 20mins!!!! Now, they are busy b/c this is lunch time so I don't complain..FINALLY it's ready, I say thanks and leave. I get back to work and open the container...

It is LOADED with croutons...I mean LOADED, they must of dumped half a bag of croutons on my damn salad!! Same goes for the carrots, it's like they put EXTRA carrots on the darn thing...SO I spend a good 15mins picking crap off my salad (I don't have time to go back to the resturant - So I pick carbs off and work at the same time - NOT FUN)

Finally I get a minute to call them and complain. I speak to the manager and he replies - "I'll be happy to get you a gift certificate for the next time you come in, but, I have to ask...why don't you like croutons and carrots?" (his tone was pretty snippy too...)

Is he SERIOUS???

Since when is it his BUSINESS WHY I DO OR DON'T EAT SOMETHING??

I just answered I don't like them, ok? and Hung up!

Arggggg!! I'm so irritated lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-06, 13:36

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i would have gone one step further... i would have told them that i made a very simple request because i was HIGHLY allergic (like hospital-worthy) to both the croutons and carrots, and the fact that they were on the food in the first place made the rest of the salad uneatable. he wouldn't have even bothered to ask why i didn't want them, and by the time i was done i would have had that manager giving me a gift certificate big enough for a dinner for 4, and then used it at ANOTHER of the restaurant's locations.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-06, 14:11
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Wow what a lousy day! Hope the rest of it goes better. Good for you for staying LC with everything working against it!!!!

I think you should tell them you go out of your way to get LC options. Hey the olive garden has chicken now. Consumer demand drives what they sell.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-06, 14:28

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I feel for you. Not that I like relying on fast food places except when in a bind, but this reminds me of the pros and cons of asking for a bunless LC burger at burger joint. Asking for no bun but extra lettuce/veggies instead is usually not that hard to communicate in and of itself... but with non-English speaking staff as is the norm, I find it very hit and miss to then also get the point across of no ketchup, no mustard, and no mayo (i.e. no crap) too. They are obsessed with the idea that if you don't want condiments, you don't want any veggies (salad) either.

Much of the time, they interpret this as no anything except the meat, and that's what they may give me- a little bag or box with nothing but meat! So sometimes, I skip the no bun request and pick the buns off manually, and order a side salad for 99 cents, just to save myself the trouble of them thinking "no anything." But gosh, this ain't rocket science, folks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 10:42

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

When dealing with minimum wage workers, you must check your meal before leaving the store every time. I won't even pull forward in a drive-through until I do this. If they don't like it, TS. I'd rather they be miffed than me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 14:59

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
When dealing with minimum wage workers, you must check your meal before leaving the store every time. I won't even pull forward in a drive-through until I do this. If they don't like it, TS. I'd rather they be miffed than me.

Anyone can make a mistakes...eventhough the manager was quite rude.

If I'm in a bind I make sure what I ordered is the way I ordered it, hurry or no hurry. Thats a lesson learned.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 15:06

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I've learned that most of these minimum wage workers are teenagers just getting into the work force and thus learning - people make mistakes that is why we are called humans and not computers.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 15:11

Plan: my own lowcarb
Stats: 158/143/130 Female 5'4
BF:notasmuchasidid
Progress: 54%

I know you had a crap day.... but hey at least you spent the time picking them off! I would have just ate them! Good for you!
You passed the test
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 15:25

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
When dealing with minimum wage workers, you must check your meal before leaving the store every time.

Wow, that "sounded" pretty freakin' arrogant. Some people struggle to support their families on minimum wage incomes, and are definitely not bad workers. Many of us have been screwed over at least once ordering from a fast-food place -- but please, do not generalize about an entire group of people.

Last edited by Snow_White : Thu, Nov-02-06 at 17:47.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 23:21
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Actually I don't think it reflects on the workers themselves. (I don't know what they meant, but I wouldn't think of it that way. Just phrased badly.) I did plenty of time on the fast food and restaurant lines. It is more a reflection of the job.

People making minimum wage are usually (alas) in jobs that are so insanely repetitive and harried, as most food service jobs tend to be. You stuff 85 bags an hour and eventually, probability alone, especially when there may be more than one person involved in the order, suggests that something is going to get screwed up.

The other day we went to Arby's. All the employees are mature adults (I mean like 50 or so). I refused to move my car until I went through my bag, despite that my family order only consisted of two sandwiches, a wrap, and a drink; not real complicated. One of the sandwiches was missing. The fellow then tried to convince me it was there, looking suspiciously in my car as if I had stolen it and was trying to get one free. Then he looked in his bags on the counter and realized he'd put it in the wrong bag. If that did not happen at least 50% of the time I visit any fast-food place -- more in some of them, particularly that one -- I wouldn't be concerned about it.

It wasn't because he was any kind of inferior as a person, and it wasn't because he was young. It was because the minimum wage jobs are of a nature to do more to encourage occasional human error than many other jobs are (and human error exists in EVERY other job. It's simply that you don't have someone in town ticked off at you every time you make a mistake, in other jobs).

I wasn't mad at him, or anything like that. I've worked that counter, back in the dark ages, I know what it's like. But it is true that most of the time, there needs to be a check done. It's such a bummer to realize you spent $5 on nothing and now everybody else has food but you and you'd have to get up and go drive out somewhere and wait in line and such to get it... it's not worth it. I've gone without plenty of times when that has happened, giving my food to my husband or little girl if it was their order. Now, I check my food. ;-)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-06, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've had A LOT of ordered screwed up. The mom and pop place next door to where I work is the worst. Now I ALWAYS check my order before I leave. They have left off the cheese on a cheeseburger, and the mushrooms on a mushroom burger, etc. And I'm not there at lunchtime so it's not like they are slammed.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/167/155 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
i would have gone one step further... i would have told them that i made a very simple request because i was HIGHLY allergic (like hospital-worthy) to both the croutons and carrots, and the fact that they were on the food in the first place made the rest of the salad uneatable. he wouldn't have even bothered to ask why i didn't want them, and by the time i was done i would have had that manager giving me a gift certificate big enough for a dinner for 4, and then used it at ANOTHER of the restaurant's locations.

Well that would be dishonest. A person who would lie about croutons would probably lie about their weight too
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I would have told him I was allergic to them and will go into shock if I eat them.
He would see LAW SUIT in big letters in his mind and would have kissed the ground you walk on trying to please you.

Seriously, what IF someone had been allergic to them, like peanuts? People who run restaurants have a DUTY to the public to either abide by their custumers wishes or tell them they are unable to do so, but to just ignore their customers wishes and then argue with the customer is just WRONG! It reminds me of the time a telemarketer phoned me and tried to sell me something. I saw no sense in wasting either her time or mine, so I simply said I was not interested. She called me back and asked why I didn't want that particular product she was selling. I told her I was under no obligation to EXPLAIN my decision to her and hung up. It is not up to the customer to explain their choices to the wait staff or manager of a restaurant.

Last edited by fluffybear : Tue, Nov-28-06 at 13:17.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

oops-- I didn't see the previous post by KVON about being allergic--seems like we think alike! LOL.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 13:24

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

You should say that you're deathly allergic to croutons! HAHAH... JERK! How dare he ask. It's none of his business why you want or don't want something on your salad!!!!!!!!!!!