Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 06:45

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby
What is your BMI? Weight doesn't really matter as long as you are in a healthy range. If you are on the underweight side now, then you might take pause.

My BMI is on the lower side but still considered normal. I feel great and I am not blacking out in 90 min yoga classes, so that probably says it all. My mom is 4'11 and her weight is not a lot, but her frame makes her look a little chunky. Not heavy by any means, though. Moms worry and I love her for it. As long as she's supportive of me...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 10:10

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Eh....I just ignore my mom. Solves a lot of problems.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw

LOL! I am usually able to successfully. Weight is a sensitive issue for me and my sister. We've both "toyed" with disorders as teenagers. Meaning starving ourselves for days at a time. Thats why I love this lifestyle. I have to eat for it to work and I absolutely love the food that I do eat. HORRAY FOR LC OPTIONS!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby
I agree - really anytime a behavior intereferes with your life and daily functioning - and health - then it's a problem. What is your BMI? Weight doesn't really matter as long as you are in a healthy range. If you are on the underweight side now, then you might take pause. (your mom btw, seems like she's a bit on the high BMI side, given height and weight, so maybe there is a bit of truth to the one poster who suggested that she may be uncomfortable with you being thinner. ) Overall, I think mothers are sort of quick to worry about their daughter's taking weight loss too far, no matter the age. Every time I get anywhere NEAR my goal weight, my mother (who is thin and gorgeous at 77) starts to nag me about being too thin. My sister is a healthy thin person and my mother is ALWAYS worrying about her weight. (my other sister is overweight, and that too is a worry, so I guess mom's can't win.)

One interjection?

One's BMI may not come to bear. If I were at my ideal BMI I would be anorexic! I am off the charts as my last doctor said. At my goal weight, with an optimal body fat percentagwe I would still be listed as obese on the BMI.

Body fat percentage is a much more accurate way of gauging things, IMHO.

By the way, I am 5'11", have a 52 inch chest, 17 inch neck, broad shoulders and exremely muscular legs. I also have a 44 inch waist, but I am working on that!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw

I have tho opposite problem. I am trying to convince my daughter to try this WOE. She has seen it works for me, but isn't ready to give up carbs. I do worry about her health. Come to think of it my daughter is ignoring me too
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 15:39

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serea
Come to think of it my daughter is ignoring me too

It's this super mutant power us daughters have.

However, in this case, she should be listening to mother.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 23:23
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/m+e
Stats: 185/174/130 Female 174cms
BF:36%
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galliard
I'll nag at my skinny daughter to eat a little more and not wear tight clothes and heels that are too high and sometimes I'll tell my other daughter she doesn't need that snack before dinner and maybe she should go ride her bike instead of watching TV

Please for the sake of your own daughters mental health NEVER say things like that to them again! I was the shorter tubbier daughter of two and despite being three years younger than my sister and STRONGER and FASTER, I still always had family members commenting on my size. The worst thing was when mum made comments. That is what hurt the most because she is the one person in this world who is meant to think I am perfect and wonderful and love me unconditionally (despite teen tantrums etc lol)

Thanks to years of little thoughtless comments from a number of people, I ended up with an eating disorder which I have been struggling with for a number of years. (By the way, until my ED hit and the bingeing started my BMI was never higher than 24, so technically not 'overweight') I am now getting over it thanks to low carbing which has helped me modify the binge/purge cycle but it is not easy. Thankfully a while ago my mother finally realised I was severly depressed/had an ED (among other things) and is careful now to only ever make good comments. I have lost weight and gained it, she has seen me struggle. She compliments me when I lose weight, because she knows what it means to me, but doesnt say a thing when I gain. I just wish she had realised sooner what an impact her words have on me!!!

(re the actual name of this thread, personally I have found it doesnt encourage eating disorders, it helps you get over them!!!)
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 21:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I also have been SERIOUSLY influenced by comments and attitudes during my childhood about my weight, and though I wasn't seriously overweight during that time, the more I worried about it and tried to figure out what I was supposed to do (if I ate less or showed signs of "dieting" I was constantly afraid of criticism for not cleaning my plate...) I gained and became overweight. This affected my attitude and lifestyle even into adulthood. I am working hard at changing my concious and subconcious attitudes and behaviours about food, and also, people's reactions to me/food.
(and yes, my mom was largely to blame, and I did learn to ignore her!)
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 11:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

HI, Kids. I just got here, but wanted to add two cents more.

I haven't seen anyone mention that anorexia, bulemia, and other "eating disorders" are almost irresistibly compulsive and difficult to cure. Merely being "preoccupied" or "obsessed' with food and eating issues might interfere with "normal" life activities and relationships, but it isn't usually deadly, unless odd eating habits lead to illness or disability related to malnutrition.

The only way I can successfully maintain a healthy weight is by being more aware than the average person about everything I put in my mouth. I consider it a kind of hobby, and this forum (among others) is my support group. Hello, I'm Barbara, and I'm a thin person with a fat person screaming to get out.

It takes a lot of time and energy to discover one's personal health zone, including dealing with messsages from my mother, "the culture," and the mirror. I'm glad I've found mine, and look forward to another few decades of good living.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 11:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The thing is, the line between "more aware than the average person" and "eating disorder" is often impossible to SEE when you're right in the middle of it.

For some, it can be a very slippery slope indeed.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 11:49

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
HI, Kids. I just got here, but wanted to add two cents more.

I haven't seen anyone mention that anorexia, bulemia, and other "eating disorders" are almost irresistibly compulsive and difficult to cure. Merely being "preoccupied" or "obsessed' with food and eating issues might interfere with "normal" life activities and relationships, but it isn't usually deadly, unless odd eating habits lead to illness or disability related to malnutrition.

i can tell you this, from someone with an anorexic past, who fortunately caught on early enough to avoid serious malnutrition issues (but still screwed up her metabolism and all that). i still have the obsessive/compulsive issues to deal with, and since i realized early on that there is only so much i can control externally, my OCD focused inward. not eating each day became an accomplishment and gave me control over SOMETHING in my life. the reason i could completely embrace lowcarbing was that it gave me the rigid structure my mind so badly needed as a form of control... but it also gives me the freedom within that structure to eat in such a way that i stay healthy. it is literally, the best of both worlds for me.

will i ever be "cured" of the OCD issues? probably not, but lowcarbing has given me a way to channel them in a positive manner, rather than in a destructive one. now if only it could channel them to things like keeping the house clean... .
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 16:04

UPDATE: I went to MD to visit my mother and she said that I looked sickly! I think that means something positive considering I'm 2 lbs from my goal. I have been eating, honest! She thinks that I'm doing something I shouldn't be because the weight came off where I look smaller than 117. I love her and she claims it's her "grandmother" coming out with the whole "Eat something, you look hungry" which would be said to a 200 pound person, so no great issue there. But she hasn't seen me so thin since probably the 11th grade. I am healthy. I took her to lunch and ate in front of her, so she knows I'm consuming something!

Coming from a "compulsive" eating "issues" past, I can tell you that I do obsess. It's a slippery slope. I'd rather NOT EAT than eat something with lots and lots of carbs. We went to a diner for lunch and I was going to stick with coffee until I "compromised" with myself and had a whole wheat grilled cheese with cheddar (and not eating the chips). I chased it with 2 cups of black coffee. My mom watched me eat suspiciously. She means well, believe me. I'd rather have someone say I'm too skinny than too fat. I guess it's all in the mind of the recipient.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 09:00

Plan: Out of LC Maintenance
Stats: 254/128/128 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Mini-me
Progress: 100%

LC is an eating ORDER not DISorder. It brings order to an otherwise chaos of
overeating of the wrong kinds of food. People can find a way to abuse almost
anything in order to 'satiate' themselves physically or psychologically. But,
I wonder if the body would moderate itself to a threshold weight even if a
person continues to LC after reaching goal.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb (Meat & Water)
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprils0909
UPDATE: I went to MD to visit my mother and she said that I looked sickly! I think that means something positive considering I'm 2 lbs from my goal. I have been eating, honest! She thinks that I'm doing something I shouldn't be because the weight came off where I look smaller than 117. I love her and she claims it's her "grandmother" coming out with the whole "Eat something, you look hungry" which would be said to a 200 pound person, so no great issue there. But she hasn't seen me so thin since probably the 11th grade. I am healthy. I took her to lunch and ate in front of her, so she knows I'm consuming something!

Coming from a "compulsive" eating "issues" past, I can tell you that I do obsess. It's a slippery slope. I'd rather NOT EAT than eat something with lots and lots of carbs. We went to a diner for lunch and I was going to stick with coffee until I "compromised" with myself and had a whole wheat grilled cheese with cheddar (and not eating the chips). I chased it with 2 cups of black coffee. My mom watched me eat suspiciously. She means well, believe me. I'd rather have someone say I'm too skinny than too fat. I guess it's all in the mind of the recipient.

I looked at your pictures. You look healthy, not sickly. She's just being a mom.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-20-06, 21:53

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

i read and atricle about some girl in a magazine that said she turned anorexic bc of atkins. she saw that she was losing so much weight eventually she decraed her carbs and then she just stopped eating. but it was in one of those fitless maagazine. for those who want to be twiggy, not healthy