Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 07:24

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
... the use of certain essential fatty acids (like GLA) has been shown to be most helpful with inflammatory-based conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and other similar diseases...

I'll look into GLA. I can add that to my fish oil, krill oil, curcumin, multi, and magnesium supplements. Hey, pretty soon I won't need food after all, then I won't have to worry about what triggers my RA, right?

I heard about nightshade being a potential problem just last week from, of all people, my dentist. He said he has another patient with RA and her rheumatologist told her the same thing. Since I've given up fries and ketchup on Paleo I have little use for tomatoes. Green peppers I'll miss, however.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 11:34

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

I know what you mean about a boatload of supplements. I take quite a few to ward off menopausal symptoms and avoid prescription meds.
You know, I found a GREAT recipe for ketchup which is based on cranberries instead of tomatoes. A friend of mine is allergic to nightshade veggies and she LOVES cran-ketchup. It's even cranberry season. I use it in other recipes (BBQ sauce, 1000 Island dressing, etc.)
I'm happy to share the recipe if you're interested.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 11:51

BF:

I'd love to try the cranberry recipe. Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 12:44

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%
Default here ya go!

Found this recipe on the web and modified it to be "legal" on Fat Flush.

CRANBERRY KETCHUP

1 pound cranberries
1 medium onion, diced
½ teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon onion powder
½ Tablespoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons stevia plus (or sweetener of your choice)
2 bay leaves
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1½ cups water
[½ teaspoon sea salt, optional]

Mix cranberries, onions, one cup water in large enamel or stainless steel pot. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until berries are mushy. Puree in blender or food processor. Press through fine sieve and return to clean pot.

Mix spices (except bay leaf) and Stevia Plus together and stir into cranberries. Add remaining water & bay leaves. Cook uncovered at a slow boil until volume is reduced by half, stirring frequently until very thick. WATCH IT - toward the end you will need to stir constantly to prevent scorching.

**Meanwhile, wash and sterilize 2 ½ pint jars and lids, keep warm until needed. Ladle ketchup into hot jars (remove bay leaves) and seal. Process in water bath. Store in cool dark place. Let stand 2 weeks before using.

Makes one pint.

**If you don't want to actually can the ketchup, you could put it in an airtight container in your fridge and wait a week before using (generally, I double the recipe, can half and process in the water bath as described above and keep other half in fridge). This recipe is definitely better after aging at least a week in the fridge or two weeks on the shelf.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 10:18

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoCH
I'm VERY fond of chocolate, so giving up sugar permanently would be a bit of a hardship.

I feel for you-- I too used to be a chocoholic... have't touched it in almost 7 years now. Life goes on. Well, cocao can trigger gut issues for me even absent the sugar. But I think many LCers can have some chocolate treats if they are sugar-free or use some acceptable alternative sweetener.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by probiotic
I feel for you-- I too used to be a chocoholic... have't touched it in almost 7 years now. Life goes on. Well, cocao can trigger gut issues for me even absent the sugar. But I think many LCers can have some chocolate treats if they are sugar-free or use some acceptable alternative sweetener.
Yes, I have sugar free chocolate bars in my fridge and low-carb Rocky Road ice cream in my freezer. They are strictly treats and are NOT eaten every day.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-06, 19:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by csoar2004

Found this recipe on the web and modified it to be "legal" on Fat Flush.

CRANBERRY KETCHUP

Thanks so much for the ketchup recipe. I'll give it a try.

I tried (in desperation) to throw together a non-vinegar salad dressing tonight. It was, sadly, inedible. I tried one in Cordain's book awhile back but didn't like it either. The cranberry ketchup looks good though!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 20:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuslife
Hi,
I've read tons of articles and studies on this and all point to the same thing that getting the sugar out of your system slows down the RA process and controls inflammation flareups.

Circuslife, you are absolutely right! I stopped eating fruit 10 days ago and my RA symptoms have nearly disappeared. I still have to sort out if I'm reacting to ALL fruit, or maybe just citrus fruit (I think all). I also need to work out whether I react to fruit only or all forms of sugar (I think all, which doesn't bode well for my chocolate fixation).

I've had to alter my Paleo Diet a bit because meat, eggs, nuts, and vegetables as my only food choices just doesn't work for me. I've added back in a small amount of non-gluten grains, with no joint problems so far. I also started today cutting back on prednisone, with doctor supervision, with elimination of NSAIDs to follow, I hope.

I'll continue to experiment with this, but just wanted to put in a post to say that I've had some pretty remarkable success here, due in no small part to input from forum members. Thanks so much!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 182.5/180.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%

that's great paleoCH! I'm still eating fruit and have had to add in plaquenil to my mtx. I ate some chocolate at Halloween and was in a major flare. I will cut out fruit and see if that helps me too. Plus the mtx is causing yeast infections and I think getting rid of fruit will help with that.

I love fruit, I'll be sad not to have it but it will be worth it to feel better.
I feel so much better since I've added meat back into my diet. Even my skin and hair look better.

Now if I could get rid of prednisone and it's lovely weight gain, I'd be all set!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 15:47

BF:

Idrial, I was hoping you'd read my last post. Please let us know if fruit turns out to be a problem for you too.

It only took me 24 hours, once I decided to try eliminating fruit, to see that it (or sugar in general) is my main RA trigger. I ate none on Sunday the 12th and when I got up the next day I was just shocked at the improvement. I've had a couple of days since then where I've had increased joint pain. I ate a couple of small Butterfinger bars the previous day on one occasion, and drank 4 oz. of wine the previous evening on the other occasion. I had some cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving yesterday that had a little bit of sugar in the mix, but that didn't seem to pose a problem. All in all, I'm getting better every day.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162.5/133/125 Female 62 inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 79%

I also have rheumatoid arthritis and I do notice a difference when I'm not eating low carb. Plus I'm on Remicade which has been a blessing.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 19:50

BF:

Starlite44, do you think your RA is better when you eat low carb because of specific foods that you're eliminating to stay low carb? Just curious. I realized several months ago that gluten affects my RA, and now fruit. I'm wondering if there are other foods that affect other people.

I'm glad the Remicade works. I was on it for a few months but it did nothing for me, so I discontinued.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 182.5/180.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%

PaleoCH, yes, I'm finding that fruit DEFINITELY affects me. I had some blueberries on Thanksgiving and the next day I could barely walk my feet hurt so badly. Many other joints hurt worse too but my feet were torture! I ate very clean on Friday and Saturday morning I felt so much better. That evening I had some apple and sure enough, I got to hurting very badly again. I love fruit so this really stinks! I am finding that seafood and vegetables make me really good. Sugar in any form is very hard on me.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-06, 20:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My joints at one time were quite painful. Now for the past 3 years, atleast, my joints have been painfree. Why they were achy in the first place, I don't know. I have had them xrayed about 1 1/2 years ago and the doctor was amazed at the quality of bone mass. At the time, I was 48 years old and he expected to see some deterioration. Also, I had an eye examination in August and for the first time in 40 years, I've not needed to upgrade my prescription.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 19:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
My joints at one time were quite painful. Now for the past 3 years, atleast, my joints have been painfree. Why they were achy in the first place, I don't know. I have had them xrayed about 1 1/2 years ago and the doctor was amazed at the quality of bone mass. At the time, I was 48 years old and he expected to see some deterioration. Also, I had an eye examination in August and for the first time in 40 years, I've not needed to upgrade my prescription.

Have you been on Atkins for 3 years? Do you think that's what stopped your joint pain?

I'd love to not need a new glasses prescription every year!