Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Semi-LC, Organic, Natural
Stats: 168/158/140 Female 67
BF:26%/26%/22%
Progress: 36%
Default Trader Joe's Opening Soon.. Suggestions on Products To Buy

So Atlanta is finally getting a TJ's and it is the Roswell locaiton is opening on Oct 20th (next Friday). Any suggestions on products I should pick up that fit in the low-carb and/or fresh/organic categories. I have only been to a TJ's once many years ago, so I could use all the advice. Considering how packed it'll be first week, going in with a list may save me some time (already driving quite a bit of distance to get there).

Thx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/270.2/200 Male 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Almond Flour

I recently visited the one in Indianapolis and was not overly impressed with their options. Outside of meat and cheeses the only thing I found useful was Almond Flour. I didn't actually purchase because I thought the price was a bit high and wanted to see if I could find another local source...as of yet I have not found it anywhere else so I will return to make that purchase.

Hope that helps.
tman
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 13:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get grilled frozen chicken strips there. Its called "Just Grilled Chicken", in the freezer section. They're tasty for on salads. I also liked their chicken/turkey sausages. You might be able to find Greek Yogurt (Low carb, high fat yogurt) which is divine. The cheese selection is great too. I buy a lot of their bottled sauces, like various curries. They also have very good guacamoles, salsa, pre-cooked chicken, veggies...

I do about 98% of my grocery shopping there. LOVE IT!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 13:44

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

the ones near me carry a heavy cream that's as close as i've ever seen to the cream i grew up with. my mom lives about 4 miles from one of wisconsin's many cheese factories, and we used to be able to buy the freshly skimmed, unpasteurized cream. the stuff at trader joe's is pasteurized, but it's just as thick and rich.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: WLS / EFGT
Stats: 305/206/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 73%

We have one opening near me in November, I think. I've been in the one in Tucson when I visit my folks. We purchased some salmon stuffed with cream cheese in individual servings which was absolutely wonderful, so I'm hoping that they have something along those lines. The individual serving thing would be great for me as I have only myself to cook for.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

"Two Buck Chuck" - their cheap wine.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 20:10

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Ooh, they have a "cheese-style" yogurt that is to die for. Not their regular yogurt (which is great) or even their Greek yogurt (also great), this stuff comes in a 16-ounce container with yellow designs on it. It's wonderful.

I like their dairy products in general because they're organic and only pasteurized, not ultra-pasteurized.

And wine. Lots and lots of wine.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 22:50

Stats: 136/125/115 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
"Two Buck Chuck" - their cheap wine.

That's what I was going to say! It tastes soooo good for so little money. My faves are the pinot grigio (white) and the gamet bougole (sp?) (red).
Also, their cream is very good and tastes "creamier" than heavy cream from the supermarket. I also eat their greek-style yogurt.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 04:22

Stats: 220/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

I love the Two Buck Chuck, especially their cabernet. However, I need to stay away from wine for a bit.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 10:33

Plan: every other day fasting
Stats: 150/150/140 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've heard that the frozen salmon is surprisingly good. Also, I like the smoked canned salmon.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 11:09

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%
Thumbs up

The frozen bagged veggies with the Trader Joe's name taste just as good as fresh - plus most have no additives so it's even closer to fresh!

The frozen fish in air sealed wrapping also is a good choice as it is sealed fresh from the water.

I do most my shopping at Trader Joe's because of the great quality plus some prices are even cheaper there then my local super market (which is Stop & Shop).

Nikki
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 12:58
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Trader Joe's has great selections... just read the labels for information. Some are great lc selections and others, not so much.

They have some great pre-cooked chicken sausage that I love. They freeze well and take only about a minute in the micro-wave to re-heat. Their frozen seafood is great too - they have scallops and a mixed seafood that is well priced.

Enjoy! I love my TJ's.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 14:23

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Trader Joe's is my favorite place to shop! I don't have one near me, so everytime I visit family near Chicago I hit it up and stock up. My must-haves are the frozen calamari, frozen scallops, frozen marinated fish (they change what kinds they carry every few months), frozen edamame (soybeans), crumbled goat cheese, Pinjur (it's a dip/sauce), the Eggplant Spread, Artichoke dip, Flax/Soy Tortilla Chips (9 g net carbs and tastes pretty damn good), whole wheat couscous (and occassional indulgence of mine), the 4-pack of avocados that is sooooooo cheap and you've GOT to buy the premade guacamole if you like that stuff! It's SO good and way cheaper than making it yourself! They also have a great wine and beer selection...

But don't stop there, they have so much and it's all priced very reasonably.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

Ezekiel bread!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins; LowCarb & Calorie