Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:46

Plan: Atkins-Modified
Stats: 218/185/135 Female 5'1
BF:41/?/26
Progress: 40%

subscribing! I need to get some of these lol
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 13:58
Kerry

Plan: WW/Atkins
Stats: 368/266.5/199 Female 5'1
BF:M.O./O/chunky
Progress: 60%

I use these in my Bacon/cabbage stir fry! LOVE THEM!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 02:42

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Ok I really gotta try these and the dreamfield ones too!

Happy New Year!

#34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 07:21

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less

I finally found them last week! Really good!

Sunny!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/238/170 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

They are awesome! They take on the flavour of whatever they are cooked in. I typically make a chicken stirfry with brocolli, and add the noodles in with chili sauce and soy - it is amazingly good!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 13:53

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlily
They are awesome! They take on the flavour of whatever they are cooked in. I typically make a chicken stirfry with brocolli, and add the noodles in with chili sauce and soy - it is amazingly good!

Hey, an Edmontonian! Where do you get these here, Winterlily? Sounds like a must-try item.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 14:42

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less

I bought both the fettuccine shape and spaghetti shape and I've made three wonderful meals with them. I just made the standard spaghetti meat sauce to go with the spaghetti style, but I made homemade chicken noodle soup with the fettuccine style and it was awesome. Today I made a chicken broccoli divan type casserole with the fettuccine style and it was soooo good! I made a creamy sauce out of mayo and heavy cream, seasoned with a little garlic powder, onion powder, a pinch of curry powder, grated parmesan cheese and a squirt of lemon juice. I had a bunch of thinly sliced cheese left over from a tray from Christmas, so after mixing the chicken chunks, noodles and broccoli with the cream sauce, I layered sharp cheddar, Havarti and Monterey Jack cheese over the top and baked until it was all browned and bubbly and awesome doesn't even come close to describing how good it was. Very filling, too. I planned to eat it all, but was stuffed after half of it. The only thing I need to remember is that sauces have to be really thick because these noodles don't soak up any liquid like pasta does. I should have used more mayo and less cream in the sauce for the casserole.

I wish I'd bought more--it's an 80 mile round-trip to the closest place that carries them. It's a shame that the noodles can't be frozen as I usually make several servings of good stuff and freeze the extras.

Sunny!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 22:12

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 135/131/118 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Can't wait to get my hands on some! Thanks for the info, everyone!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 22:21
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

You gotta get over the look of them though I've got several bags in my fridge and they look just so................ekkk I can't get around to trying them.

I was also warned (thank goodness) that they can be an acquired taste so although I ordered a case load of dreamfields I only ordered two each of these wormy looking(and aparentley stinky) critters.

and I'm a person who eats raw liver, just imagine what it takes to gross me out.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 08:15

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Koko.

Just put them in a strong flavored dish, and you'll be fine. That or in chicken soup etc...they will take on the flavor of whatever they are in, you will be surprised.

I had some this weekend in chicken noodle soup, awesome! I also make them in a chicken and garlic fettucine alfredo that is so awesome!

The only thing it took me a moment to get used to was the texture and chewiness of them. Shiritaki noodles dont have the consistency of pasta or egg noodles.

If you go into tryin g them expecting them to be just a little different to the bite, all will be well.

I have even eaten them with butter, garlic, minced onion and basil as a side for Italian sausage...
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 08:22
Stepford Malfunction

Thanks ProfGumby, I like the soup idea and I've just taken some nice soup out of the freezer, perhaps I'll try the noodles in that. (they just look so squishy though but I suppose it's not much different than rinsing the water off of tofu or feta cheese) I will be BRAVE
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 08:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 340/260/225 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
Thanks ProfGumby, I like the soup idea and I've just taken some nice soup out of the freezer, perhaps I'll try the noodles in that. (they just look so squishy though but I suppose it's not much different than rinsing the water off of tofu or feta cheese) I will be BRAVE

Koko

Nothing brave about it they are TREMENDOUS and you are in for a huge treat! The taste is nonexistent-- as everyone has said they take on the flavor or what they are in and the somewhat fishy smell that first put me off rinses right off. I LOVE MY NOODLES!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 08:36
Stepford Malfunction

Quote:
Nothing brave about it they are TREMENDOUS and you are in for a huge treat! The taste is nonexistent-- as everyone has said they take on the flavor or what they are in and the somewhat fishy smell that first put me off rinses right off. I LOVE MY NOODLES!

ok I'm convinced I can hardly wait till lunch time!!!

thanks.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 14:08

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I have even eaten them with butter, garlic, minced onion and basil as a side for Italian sausage...
That sounds good. We've got some chorizo in the fridge. Great idea - thanks - and I think I'll send my partner out shopping this afternoon!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 14:15

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Thumbs down Ok...Well...I Finally Got Around To Trying These...

I was able to find these noodles at my local Ralph groceries. That was cool! I was very open minded about trying them. I purchased two packages in case I really liked them then I would have an extra and if I don't then I'm only stuck with one package or I can return it to the market.

Here's my first experience:

1. They didn't really smell fishy at all to me. Guess because I got them fresh from the grocery and didn't have to have them shipped.

2. Drained and rinsed them.

3. Wanted to make sure there was no funny taste so I added two chicken broth cubes to the boiling water and boiled noodles for 5 minutes.

4. Drained again, then stir-fried with garlic, pepper, butter, and oil and some baby spinach.

5. Conclusion: Everything that I added taste great, they look like noodles, smelled like noodles, didn't taste like noodles the texture is rubbery. Although my dish smelled very good and all the seasonings were good...the noodles tasted like I was chewing on rubberbands. Hmmm??? Would I buy these again? Probably not. Will I use the other package I have...hmmm...I don't know...only if I don't have anything else in the house low carb to eat and it's there. I may give it another chance only because I have the other bag available. Try boiling it for 3 min instead of 5 min to see if that makes a difference...yeah...I doubt it. A good thing about the noodles - I got full off the one pack and it was only 2 net carb and it was very tasty...it was just that darn rubberband texture that killed it for me.

Well, moving forward, I want to try Dreamfields now...even if it is 5 carbs per serving. I'd rather save up my carbs for the day for something that actually taste like pasta than chew on rubberband tofu noodles.