Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 55.1/48.3/25
BF:
Progress: 23%

Excellent thread. This has given me great insight as I can see myself getting caught in the "Atkin sweet legal treat trap". I have been looking forward to my treat every night after work. Thanks for helping me to raise a red flag.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/210/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Here's something from the new DANDR that knock me over the head and it's a big mistake!

Going back to induction levels if you cheat even a little. Don't have a no no carb and then jump back to induction. Dr A says eventually induction will no longer work. He says to go back down 5-10 carbs but not to induction.

don't use up all your "get out of jail" free induction cards! Besides he mentions atkins will turn into just another yo-yo diet for you.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 17:30

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Low Carb Newbie (and Oldy) Mistakes

Karen, Congratulationa, you have done it again!!!

I had to stop in and visit this new thread of yours because it hit home so accuratley and decisevly.

I have not visited my log due to the fact that I have been unable to successefuly succumb all the chocolate, fruit. and sugar temptations, since Xmas.

I have started out fresh each morning with an excellent low carb light breakfast, but either lunch, dinner, or both have been my undoing. Posting my daily menu in my log would only prove my weakness.

It is very refreshing to learn that there have been a fair number of Low Carbers that have found themselves in my boat, since Xmas.

Here are samples of my downfall:

(a) one slice of thin rye toast either for breakfast or lunch, practically every day.
(b) a fresh large Washington juicy sweet 'Delicious' Apple nearly very day.
(c) Walk every afternnon to an outside Coffee window (with a neighbour and my Schnauzer) for a Cuban Coffee (with sugar).
This locally known "coffasitto" is drunk throughtout the Miami region. It really peps you up for the rest of the day. This has become a daily ritual.
(d) My wife has been baking excellent chocolate coated biscottis, and leaving them lying handily around the house.

The sad truth is that I don't seem to be trying very hard to change this WOE back to proper low carb.

Regards
Joe

P.S.- Karen, you must stay awake all night thinking up all your great "threads'. Keep up the good work.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 02:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

LOL Jomil! I actually stay awake imagining my low-carb fantasy bootcamp!

You should start your journal again. It worked for you before, didn't it?

There is alway the Confession Booth for when you feel really guilty.

Karen
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:59

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%

One of the mistakes I made with CAD was thinking the "Reward Meal" was a carbo-fest! I'd be really good all day, then get to dinner and have pasta, bread, and desert. Now I'm more careful to make sure I plan better so I can include what I crave and not go bonkers with a Carbohydrate Overdose!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:01
Registered Member

Stats: 140/119/112
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Don't Go Back To Induction?

Ruh-roh!

Quote:
Originally posted by lowcarbQT
Here's something from the new DANDR that knock me over the head and it's a big mistake!

Going back to induction levels if you cheat even a little. Don't have a no no carb and then jump back to induction...

lowcarbQT---could you give me a page reference on this, by chance? I guess I need a refresher, because I was remembering that Dr. A said that if you are bad, you MUST go back to induction levels before moving forward. So that's what I've been doing.

Thanks!
K.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 12:55

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

nuts nuts nuts!

I couldn't wait to finish induction so I could get stuck into that previously forbidden wonder - nuts!

Two problems - can't say no to more once I've started, and they make me stall big time

They are a real treat every now and then these days

lesley
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/140
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default conflicting info huh?

Hi Kristen,

It's on page 215 of the new (white cover) DANDR. It's called 'Uses and Abuses' of induction. what I always have done is go back to induction level until ketosis(just a day or so) is back and then go right back where i was. He doesn't say this outright in this section of the book but it fits logically with his train of thought.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

One of my newbie mistakes would have to be the couple of times I've felt a bit ill as a result of eating food that's rich and that I'd normally bulk out with rice or pasta. My tum can't quite take it the same if it's not balanced out with a bulky food - for example I ate Chinese food recently as a bit of a treat. Chinese food is quite rich and not ideal for low-carbing as a regular thing as they do put some carby things in it but is not bad as a once-in-a-blue-moon treat as long as you don't do rice/noodles or too many starchy beg. Well ... I might have eaten a bit too much of it because my tummy did NOT respond too well!!!

Rebecca
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 02:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Just thought I'd bump up this thread so the newbies who are now oldbies could join in!

Karen
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:11
Forum Founder

BF:

Wow! No one has made any mistakes? No one has low-carbed and learned?

Karen
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:54

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
My big mistake was, after losing half the weight I wanted to, thinking I could go on Maintenance "for the summer" so I could eat a little more fruit. Well, the summer turned into 8 months!

Fortunately I only gained 7 or 8 pounds (most of that eating croissants and bread in France - you can't get anything else for breakfast there ), but it was very difficult to get back to OWL. For one thing, I couldn't remember what I was eating when I was losing 2 pounds a week last year.

Thanks to this group and Lifeform (like Fitday), I realized I was eating too few calories and not enough fat, and now I am back on track.

As to the legal sweets on the Atkins diet, I think that is YMMV. While I was losing that 2 pounds a week I was eating sf jello with homemade whipped cream, LC cheesecake, LC pumpkin un-pie (baked without the crust), LC key lime pie, etc., etc.

I have found that knowing I can make and eat really yummy things somehow keeps me from eating high carb sweets away from home. My DH and I went to a company dinner at which the dessert comprised an enormously long table jam packed with cakes, pies, etc., but I ate the strawberries and canteloupe. And my knickname used to be "Cookie!"

But I really didn't care, because knew I could make desserts just as delicious as those that wouldn't blow my diet.

And somehow it also keeps me from going overboard on the LC sweets; as long as I know I can have a guilt-free piece of that cheesecake for dessert after dinner, I can let it sit unmolested in the refrigerator for as many days as it takes us to eat it. I can't explain it, but there it is.

This thread was a great idea, Karen!

Karla
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 13:16

Plan: Atkins OWL + PP Phase II
Stats: 160/142/130
BF:?%/25.6%/20%
Progress: 60%
Question conflicting info huh?

OMG, I just put out a LONG post on this in the Daily LC area (OWL & Reflections...)

"Since I've converted to Atkins on 1/14/2002, I've really learned a lot about how foods make me feel, whether healthy and alive or sickly and tired.

Well, after I finished Induction (a quick 2 weeks after a couple days of carb withdrawls ) I was soon on OWL and trying to find my CCL. I started to add more complex carbs into my WOE and quicky realized that the weight loss slowed down for me. I accepted that and moved on. I didn't expect everything to come off as quickly as in Induction.

Then, I started to measure myself monthly to help myself understand that scales DO lie. I've steadily been losing inches (all be it not as fast as in the begining) and I've been overall very happy with my transition to low carb living.

However, I find myself getting a bit ill (tummy aches, headaches & a general feeling of fogginess) when I have more than 50 carbs (after substracting fiber) on one day and then go down to 20-30. I've been all over the place with my carbs on a daily/weekly basis to keep my body thinking I've read my Atkins book twice (as well as another one on LC for life).

It's almost like the Induction withdrawls all over again only I'm much more in-tune with how carbs effect my body and how I feel.

So far I've been able to get out of ketosis and get back in within 24-48 hours. I don't do ketostix so to be honest I don't really know if I'm in or out of ketosis. I used to have the keto breath but I got used to it after a while and with all the water I drink (120 ounces/day), it's hard to notice unless I eat really fatty foods like cheeses.

I've tried to figure out if it's my body going back through carb withdrawl or if I've just become so sensitive to higher amounts of carbs. I've noticed that it's really bad if I come off of a higher carb (50-70 grams/day) which is usually from eating less-than-desirable ("bad") foods like breaded chicken or white rice. I'm able to eat small amounts of things like rice, without going overboard and I'm certain that if I just go to a whole, brown rice, that I'd feel better. However, I've even noticed this "phenaminon" when I consume a bit of popcorn (<2 cups, loaded with butter = 3 T). The next day, I had a splitting headache.

On the days that I have 50-70 carbs, I don't feel ill at all. I still notice all the normal LC things like I can pick up on the smallest amount of sugar in something (like when I ordered chicken salad at a restaurant). It isn't until the next day that I feel ill when I go back down to 20-30 final carbs.

My basic reasoning behind moving my carbs all around is when I was doing my research for my CCL, I noticed that I can go up to 50-70 and still lose. But I didn't want my body to get used to a specific amount of carb grams so I decided to try to do like every 3rd day as a 50 gram day, then go back to 20-30 for a few days. Now, I've basically got myself doing 20-30 during the week, and on the Sat & Sun I eat around 50 and very occasionally I jump up ot 70.

I've been added some fruits (I love fresh melons and berries) which has been raising my carbs for those higher carb days. I also eat 1 slice of "Health Max" bread with tons of butter and 1 T all-natural peanut butter (guess what's in it... PEANUTS, that's it, no trans fatty acids for me ). I've also added back some starchier veggies and more nuts.

After all this chatter, what I'm trying to find out (from long time LCer's) is "Is this a "Normal" thing?" Or do I just have a huge hang up on "How do I feel right now?" Do I pay too much attention to how I'm feeling? Am I overanalyzing?

Guess I should read my Atkins book AGAIN. I must have skimmed that section or something.

So what is the RIGHT way to handle the OOPS situations? It seems like he's saying if you keep making mistakes, you'll just have to give up this WOL because you can't keep jumping back into Induction and think everything is OK.

And then how does that work since he also says that you can STAY in Induction for a longer period of time if that's what one should choose. Guess it seems like he's saying you can't yo-yo your carbs around but you can stay at an Induction level. Now does that seem right since I though finding your CCL is basically going up and down with your carbs.

Also, don't some people get stalled when they stay at the same carb level for a period of time? I've read that some people have to go ahead and add carbs and then go back down in order to get past their stall.

What's up with this? Just a big YMMV?

Annie G.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 18:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

My biggest mistake? Thinking I could "loosen up the restrictions" a bit during the holidays. Hey...a couple of high carb days can't do too much damage, right? It's the holidays...I deserve to have a little fun, right? WRONG! I gained 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New Year and had a terrible time getting the scale moving in the downward direction again. I can't say I will NEVER do that again (cuz that's when it's gonna come and bite me in the butt), but I will certainly be a LOT closer to my goal weight before I even consider it again. Looking back, it really wasn't all that satisfying anyway and for sure wasn't worth all the frustration afterwards. I could just kick myself when I think how much closer to goal I'd be right now if I hadn't done that.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 21:52
Registered Member

Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default low carb mistakes

One of my bigger mistakes was thinking that I had enough will power to "plan" for a day off the low carb diet. It made perfect sense to me that if I was good all week I could go off the diet for a birthday, halloween, the superbowl, dinner out, whatever the excuse than get right back on the plan. WRONG!!! everytime I tried I would end up on a 3 or 4 day, sometime even a week long binge, before I could get back in control.
Now I've learned it's better for me to stay pretty strict and if I want to cheat I try and eat a legal treat, LC chocalate bar, or LC ice cream, LC muffins or something similiar. I find, for me, these cheats don't lead to binges.