Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 20:20

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%
Default Eat Trans Fat, Get Big Belly

Eat Trans Fat, Get Big Belly

Eat Trans Fat, Get Big Belly

Trans Fats Add -- and Move -- Weight to Belly

By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang
on Monday, June 12, 2006

June 12, 2006 - Want a big fat belly? Eat lots of trans fats.

Trans fats make you fatter than other foods with the same number of calories -- but that's not all. Researchers at Wake Forest University find that trans fats increase the amount of fat around the belly. They do this not just by adding new fat, but also by moving fat from other areas to the belly.

"Trans fat is worse than anticipated," Wake Forest researcher Lawrence L. Rudel, PhD, says in a news release. "Diets rich in trans fat cause a redistribution of fat tissue into the abdomen and lead to a higher body weight even when the total dietary calories are controlled."

Rudel colleague Kylie Kavanagh, DVM, reported the findings at this week's annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in Washington.

In the study, researchers fed 51 male vervet monkeys a western-style diet -- that is, 35% of their diet was fat. Half the monkeys got a lot of trans fat, totaling 8% of their diet. The other monkeys were fed unsaturated fats such as olive oil.

Both types of diets were calorie-controlled. In theory, the monkeys should not have gained weight.

But they did.

Over six years -- what would, in humans, be a 20-year span -- the monkeys who ate unsaturated fats upped their body weight by 1.8%.

Those fed trans fats packed on 7.2%. In humans, that would be enough weight gain to significantly increase risk of diabetes and heart disease.

"Trans fatty acid consumption increases weight gain," Kavanagh says in a news release. "In the world of diabetes, everybody knows that just 5% weight loss makes enormous difference. This little difference [of weight gain seen in the study] was biologically quite significant."

Trans fats are found in vegetable shortenings, some kinds of margarine, and in manufactured baked goods such as cookies, crackers, and snack foods. A major source of trans fat in American diets is fast food fried in the stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 20:35

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

So, when is the medical profession going to admit that a Calorie is not a Calorie?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 23:18

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

And when are they going to admit "hey, we were wrong" about promoting trans fats over other fats for the last 20 years?

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: Asian/M&E
Stats: 233/167/124 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

They still haven't apologized for cupping and leeches yet!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 09:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCarol
Over six years -- what would, in humans, be a 20-year span -- the monkeys who ate unsaturated fats upped their body weight by 1.8%.
I bet if the fat was saturated they wouldn't have gained!!!

Oh! what am I saying!!!! We all know that saturated fat is BADDDDDDD!!!!

Funny thing is, most people will use monkeys as an example of why we humans should be vegetarians.....after all, most monkeys eat plants, right? Yea, maybe so....but they also get a significant amount of animal protein in the bugs, grubs, etc that are eaten along with the plants!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 10:03

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabshelly

Leeches are actually very useful when used in an appropriate manner.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 10:46

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
So, when is the medical profession going to admit that a Calorie is not a Calorie?
I had the same reaction! Frankly, I don't think we have a prayer of the medical types changing their tune UNTIL nutrition is a required medical school course. And I mean at least a year's worth of nutrition instruction.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 19:04

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
I bet if the fat was saturated they wouldn't have gained!!!

Oh! what am I saying!!!! We all know that saturated fat is BADDDDDDD!!!!

That's it, CindySue! I'm reporting you to the Fat Police!

Sunny!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 12:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabshelly

LOL!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:15

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
I had the same reaction! Frankly, I don't think we have a prayer of the medical types changing their tune UNTIL nutrition is a required medical school course. And I mean at least a year's worth of nutrition instruction.

I disagree - I'd rather have the future docs get a sound grounding in biochemistry than be fed a year of the same drivel that the establishment teaches RDs. and that's what they'd get with a required nutrition course - what are the chances that they will be taught anything about nutrition that contradicts the USDA food pyramid?

I'd agree only if this was to be an evidence-based nutrition course - meaning actually reading the studies and discussing if they are good studies or not. Not much chance of that happening IMHO.

At least if there is a sound foundation in biochem they can read nutritional studies on their own and draw their own conclusions - and know when something promoted plain contradicts the biochemistry/science.

if instead they are fed 2 semesters of 'sat fat is bad, eating cholesterol is bad, eating grains is good' - what's the point?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
I'd rather have the future docs get a sound grounding in biochemistry than be fed a year of the same drivel that the establishment teaches RDs. and that's what they'd get with a required nutrition course - what are the chances that they will be taught anything about nutrition that contradicts the USDA food pyramid?

Probably pretty good if they attend Albert Einstein's med school and take Dr. Feinman's biochem/nutrition course...

http://www.hscbklyn.edu/kingsbrook/pdf's/Feinman&Makowske.pdf