Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 20:35

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 100%
Arrow Changes in caffeine intake and long-term weight change in men and women

Longer study about caffeine, interesting Keep on pounding the coffee

Background: The long-term effects of caffeine intake on weight have not been examined prospectively.

Objective: The objective was to assess the relation between caffeine intake and 12-y weight change.

Design: We conducted a prospective study of 18 417 men and 39 740 women, with no chronic diseases at baseline, who were followed from 1986 to 1998. Caffeine intake was assessed repeatedly every 2–4 y. Weight change was calculated as the difference between the self-reported weight in 1986 and in 1998.

Results: The participants reported a change in caffeine intake that varied across quintiles, from decreases of 296 and 342 mg/d to increases of 213 and 143 mg/d in men and women, respectively. Age-adjusted models showed a lower mean weight gain in participants who increased their caffeine consumption than in those who decreased their consumption, but the differences between extreme quintiles were small: –0.43 kg (95% CI: –0.17, –0.69) in men and –0.41 kg (95% CI: –0.20, –0.62) in women. After adjustment for potential confounders and baseline and change in total energy intake and other nutrients and foods, the differences remained similar for men and diminished slightly for women (men: –0.43 kg; 95% CI: –0.17, –0.68; women: –0.35; 95% CI: –0.14, –0.56). An increase in coffee and tea consumption was also associated with less weight gain. In men, the association between caffeine intake and weight was stronger in younger participants (P for interaction < 0.001); in women, the association was stronger in those who had a body mass index (in kg/m2) ≥25, who were less physically active, or who were current smokers (P for interaction < 0.001).

Conclusion: Increases in caffeine intake may lead to a small reduction in long-term weight gain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

The more coffee I drink, the more exercise I get. Running to the bathroom. Might explain these small differences...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 10:44

Plan: Reduced Calorie LC w/ IF
Stats: 190/130/115 Female 5'6"
BF:Still Too High!
Progress: 80%

Caffeine is one of the main ingredients in the (now banned) ECA thermogenic stack, along with ephedrine and asprin. Therefore it wasn't a shock to me. I think many diets including atkins recommend pulling caffeine not because it will stall you, but because it might trigger cravings. Either way, I still allow my diet drinks (the few I have) to contain caffeine... I have enough trouble ensuring that I can find the diet stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 11:00

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 210/185/160 Male 68 inches
BF:30%/21%/12%
Progress: 50%

As far as I know the individual elements of the ECA stack haven't been banned. All the ECA-in-one pill products from a few years ago used Ephedra, which has been banned. Ephedrine HCL is still available here in Canada and I believe in the US as well.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 11:51

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

aboslutely you can still get it here..and create your own "stack"

you can find it at any truck stop or FAsmart ...probably wawa and sheetz too