Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 16:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Eating habits of successful weight losers shift

Looks like low carbers are joining the National Weight Control Registry.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...l-eho063006.php

Individuals maintaining weight loss report consuming more fat and less carbohydrates

Providence, RI –A recent study suggests that the fat intake of successful weight losers entering the National Weight Control Registry has increased over the past decade, while carbohydrate intake has declined. This is the finding of a research paper appearing in the April 2006 issue of Obesity Research by researchers at The Miriam Hospital and Brown Medical School, and University of Colorado.

The National Weight Control Registry is a national study tracking individuals who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept if off for at least one year. On average, the nearly 5,000 members in the Registry have far exceeded these requirements, losing over 70 pounds and keeping the weight off for nearly six years.

"Our findings suggest that to successfully maintain weight loss, dieters may be able to vary their diet over time," says Suzanne Phelan, PhD, lead author of the study, staff psychologist at The Miriam Hospital and assistant professor at Brown Medical School. "When the National Weight Control Registry was created 10 years ago, members reported consuming a low-calorie, very low-fat diet and engaging in high levels of physical activity to maintain weight loss - what we wanted to determine in this study is whether the eating and exercise habits of participants enrolling in the Registry had changed over the past decade."

Researchers studied the dieting behaviors of the more than 2700 individuals who enrolled in the National Weight Control Registry during the years 1995 to 2003. Evaluations of diet and physical activity were conducted as participants entered the Registry and were monitored over intermittent periods of one year.

"We found that participants who enrolled in the Registry in more recent years, reported consuming an increased number of calories from fat, and fewer carbohydrates compared to those who enrolled in 1995," says Phelan.

From 1995 to 2003 - the daily percentage of calories consumed from fat increased from 23.8 percent to 29.4 percent, while calories from carbohydrates decreased from 56 percent to 49.3 percent. In addition, saturated fat intake in Registry participants increased from 12.3 grams per day to 16.6 grams per day in later years.

"Despite the increase in fat intake, the consumption of fat that the participants reported in later years continued to remain within recommended levels and well below the national average," explains Phelan. "However, potentially more troubling is the increase in saturated fat intake – the type most closely linked to an increase in heart disease."

Low carbohydrate dieters, characterized by those who consume less than 90 grams of carbohydrates per day, remain a minority of the Registry's participants, but did increase from 5.9 percent to 17.1 percent from 1995 to 2003.

Phelan cites that the rise in popularity of the low carbohydrate diets might explain, in part, the shift in more recent years to participants consuming consistently lower amounts of carbohydrates.

Despite fluctuations in participant's fat and carbohydrate consumption over the years, physical activity levels remained high with participants averaging 60 minutes of moderate exercise per day. Moreover, the characteristics associated with continued weight loss maintenance one year later remained the same.

"In the sample as a whole – Registry members who maintained a low-calorie diet with moderate fat intake, limited their fast food consumption, and sustained high levels of physical activity, reported continued success in weight loss maintenance one year later," says co-author Rena Wing, PhD, co-founder of the National Weight Control Registry and director of the Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center at The Miriam Hospital and Brown Medical School.

The authors write that even though more than 75 percent of the National Weight Control Registry's members report consuming a diet that is at or below recommended levels of fat intake - these findings indicate that it may be possible to maintain a reduced body weight through various dietary approaches.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 18:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Tee hee! Of course.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 18:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

So its possible to eat some fat and still lose weight? I never would have thunk it-- stay away from those steaks though, they have an unnaturally high level of saturated fat. Steak is a heart attack on a plate. Coffee and doughnuts are a fine treat, as long as you count calories and the coffee even helps prevent type II diabetes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 20:35

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
these findings indicate that it may be possible to maintain a reduced body weight through various dietary approaches.

Hell, I could have told them that!!! All they had to do was ask.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm signing up as soon as it's been a year!

Last edited by Newbirth : Fri, Jun-30-06 at 21:56.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
I'm signing up as soon as it's been a year!

Great idea. The more LC people who check in with these folks, the better. I am only aware of this organization because of quotes in the media from the people who run it. They need to be made aware that successful weight loss can be achieved outside of the low-fat paradigm.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-06, 14:23

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

In 1996, I lost 50 lbs on a low-fat/low-cal routine, with regular exercise. Three years later, I signed up with the NWCR. The diaries I submitted on two consecutive years reflected my successful weight loss program at the time.

Then I started gaining. Damn that Weight Creep! A low-fat/low-cal diet is murder to sustain. Even with continued devotion to working out, I was really slipping in the dietary department. After regaining 15-20 lbs., I turned to Dr. Atkins. I wish he were still alive so I could thank him personally.

I've been low-carb for 3 1/2 years, at goal for a little over a year. I've written to the NWCR, which no longer sends me diaries, to enquire about changing my on-the-record dietary report to the one that really works!

Funding restrictions make this impractical--and perhaps that's a flaw in the study. However, the study is ongoing, and as this article points out, the new evidence seems to be favoring the success rate of lower-carb, higher fat programs.

In my experience, every diet works. But the only one that works forever is the one you can stay on. For me, that seems to be low-carb. But I'm not making any claims for another five years or so. I continue to experiment, modify, and practice. Weight management is a fact of life I'll never be able to NOT think about.

My best tool for this is keeping a diary--and forcing myself to be honest. Lying and Denial are the Weight Creep's henchmen. But low-carb offers me lifestyle choices that work, and the internet gives me both a convenent recording place (Fitday.com) and many support group opportunities.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 10:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

In the beginning the weight control registry required a certification from a Dr. or nutritionist, that put you on the diet and that supervised it.
There were no doctors/nutritionists putting people on low-carb at that time.
Since they changed their policy and now accept before and after pictures as proof of weight loss the low carbers came out of the woodwork.
That's why the later joiners are eating higher fat and lower carb.

danny
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 04:07

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Eating Habits Of Successful Weight Losers Shift

Quote:
A recent study suggests that the fat intake of successful weight losers entering the National Weight Control Registry has increased over the past decade, while carbohydrate intake has declined. This is the finding of a research paper appearing in the April 2006 issue of Obesity Research by researchers at The Miriam Hospital and Brown Medical School, and University of Colorado.

The National Weight Control Registry is a national study tracking individuals who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept if off for at least one year. On average, the nearly 5,000 members in the Registry have far exceeded these requirements, losing over 70 pounds and keeping the weight off for nearly six years.

"Our findings suggest that to successfully maintain weight loss, dieters may be able to vary their diet over time," says Suzanne Phelan, PhD, lead author of the study, staff psychologist at The Miriam Hospital and assistant professor at Brown Medical School. "When the National Weight Control Registry was created 10 years ago, members reported consuming a low-calorie, very low-fat diet and engaging in high levels of physical activity to maintain weight loss - what we wanted to determine in this study is whether the eating and exercise habits of participants enrolling in the Registry had changed over the past decade."

Researchers studied the dieting behaviors of the more than 2700 individuals who enrolled in the National Weight Control Registry during the years 1995 to 2003. Evaluations of diet and physical activity were conducted as participants entered the Registry and were monitored over intermittent periods of one year.

"We found that participants who enrolled in the Registry in more recent years, reported consuming an increased number of calories from fat, and fewer carbohydrates compared to those who enrolled in 1995," says Phelan.

From 1995 to 2003 - the daily percentage of calories consumed from fat increased from 23.8 percent to 29.4 percent, while calories from carbohydrates decreased from 56 percent to 49.3 percent. In addition, saturated fat intake in Registry participants increased from 12.3 grams per day to 16.6 grams per day in later years.

"Despite the increase in fat intake, the consumption of fat that the participants reported in later years continued to remain within recommended levels and well below the national average," explains Phelan. "However, potentially more troubling is the increase in saturated fat intake - the type most closely linked to an increase in heart disease."

Low carbohydrate dieters, characterized by those who consume less than 90 grams of carbohydrates per day, remain a minority of the Registry's participants, but did increase from 5.9 percent to 17.1 percent from 1995 to 2003.

Phelan cites that the rise in popularity of the low carbohydrate diets might explain, in part, the shift in more recent years to participants consuming consistently lower amounts of carbohydrates.

Despite fluctuations in participant's fat and carbohydrate consumption over the years, physical activity levels remained high with participants averaging 60 minutes of moderate exercise per day. Moreover, the characteristics associated with continued weight loss maintenance one year later remained the same.

"In the sample as a whole - Registry members who maintained a low-calorie diet with moderate fat intake, limited their fast food consumption, and sustained high levels of physical activity, reported continued success in weight loss maintenance one year later," says co-author Rena Wing, PhD, co-founder of the National Weight Control Registry and director of the Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center at The Miriam Hospital and Brown Medical School.

The authors write that even though more than 75 percent of the National Weight Control Registry's members report consuming a diet that is at or below recommended levels of fat intake - these findings indicate that it may be possible to maintain a reduced body weight through various dietary approaches.

###

James O. Hill, PhD, and Holly R. Wyatt, MD, from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center also participated in the study.

The researchers are continuing to study successful weight losers and are currently recruiting for a national study, Living Lean in a Toxic Environment (LITE), which investigates whether normal weight individuals without a history of obesity maintain their body weight in a similar fashion to normal weight long-term successful weight losers. Participants will wear a small device that measures physical activity, while food consumption information will be collected through telephone interviews by research staff. Monetary compensation and personalized feedback about diet and activity are provided.

The Miriam Hospital, established in 1926 in Providence, RI, is a not-for-profit hospital affiliated with Brown Medical School. Nationally recognized as a top hospital in cardiovascular care, The Miriam Hospital (http://www.miriamhospital.org/) offers particular expertise in cardiac catheterization, angioplasty and women's cardiac care. One of 20 designated Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) sites, The Miriam is a leader in the treatment, research and prevention of HIV/AIDS, attracting $17 million of the world's HIV/AIDS research dollars. The Miriam Hospital has been awarded Magnet Recognition for Excellence in Nursing Services three times and is committed to excellence in patient care, research and medical education. The Miriam is a founding member of the Lifespan health system.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/med...hp?newsid=46441
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 08:48

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Excellent! This touches on the one thing that bothers me the most about all of the nutritionists and doctors who indicate lower carb eating can not possibly be maintained. They think of it as an all-or-nothing proposition. Even some reduction of sugars and starches has beneficial effects!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 06:44

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Myself and another coworker have made very good progress on a low carb way of life. We don't actively promote it to coworkers but I have noticed a positive trend develop. To help accomodate us at meetings, snacks are more often fruit and cheese and donuts are less frequent. This includes full-staff meetings with 70 people in attendance. I know of several coworkers who have lost modest amounts of weight by making modest adjustments on their own. It is rewarding (but surprising) to see the butterfly effect in action.