Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 05:08

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default One Egg daily protects from heart disease, cancer

http://internationalreporter.com/news/read.php?id=1750

Quote:
London, June 22 – A new study has confirmed that consumption of one egg daily protects from heart disease, cancer and eye problems, based on Bruce Griffin of the University of Surrey.

The analysis of 30 egg studies confirmed that people who consumed one or more eggs a day were at no more risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease than those who were non-egg eaters, reported the online edition of Daily Mail.

As per IANS and the report of the Daily Mail, the egg yolks contain cholesterol, but nutritionists now know that it is the saturated fats in food, not dietary cholesterol, that raises blood cholesterol levels, a risk factor for heart attacks.

"To view eggs solely in terms of their dietary cholesterol content is to ignore the potential benefits of eggs on coronary risk factors, including obesity and diabetes," Griffin says, describing eggs as super food.

One egg provides 13 essential nutrients, all in the yolks. It contains the nutrients lutein and zeaxanthin, which could help to prevent or even reverse the age-related eye problem macular degeneration (MD).

Egg whites contain albumen, an important source of protein, and no fat, the researchers say.

Eggs are an excellent source of Vitamin B, which are needed for vital functions in the body, and also provide good quantities of Vitamin A, essential for normal growth and development, the researchers said.

An egg's Vitamin E content protects against heart disease and some cancers; there's also Vitamin D, which promotes mineral absorption and good bone health.

Eggs are rich in iodine, for making thyroid hormones, and phosphorus, essential for healthy bones and teeth.

Girls who eat an egg a day in their teens may give themselves additional protection against breast cancer in later life.

It is the essential nutrients in eggs, such as amino acids, vitamins and minerals that may be responsible for this protection.

Eggs are also low in calories -- a large egg contains only 75 calories and 5 grams of fat -- and other research suggests they can help you lose weight.

Health experts used to recommend a maximum egg consumption of three a week to avoid a rise in blood cholesterol levels. But since evidence has shown that it is saturated fat intake that affects cholesterol, advice has changed.

Now Britain's government's Foods Standards Agency (FSA) says there is no limit as long as they form part of a healthy, balanced diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 09:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Except for the incorrect
Quote:
blood cholesterol levels, a risk factor for heart attacks.
, the article is correct.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I wonder how many of those 30 studies were sponsored by the Egg Institute.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 10:09

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh

what the hell your talking about?
eggs are full of nutrients
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-06, 17:15

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 205/175/165 Male 72 in
BF:29%/24%/22%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Except for the incorrect, the article is correct.

The benefits of eating eggs is much increased if the eggs are free range. In that case the ratio of Omega 3 to 6 is much enhanced.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 12:20

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
And I wonder how many of those lipid hypothesis studies are sponsored by Pharmaceuticals.

The fact that most people now are recommending egg consumption even with the high cholestoral they contain speaks volumes for the benefits to be gained from eggs.

btw, traditionally the Japanese eat fish at every meal. Fish is very high in cholestoral. Yet the Japanese seem to be very healthy. It can't just be the rice and veggies.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 13:24

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:

This is a valid point. I suspect that the flood of low carb studies being funded by the Atkins Foundation will also be questioned.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 14:11

Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

So can we say science is only good science if it isn't funded?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 02:59

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Um, saturated fat now 'known' to cause high cholesterol? Blood cholesterol 'known' to cause heart disease? No and No. Just read Anthony Colpo's book 'The Great Cholelesterol Con'...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 17:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

And they didn't even mention choline - eggs are probably our best source, and when nutrition groups get themselves together we'll probably start hearing more about it:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nu...n/a/choline.htm

Note that with most "free range" eggs, the chickens never leave the crowded barn, so the nutrition in their eggs is totally a reflection of their feed. If they actually DO get outside into grass, and get to eat weeds and grubs, it really does make a difference. (Some hens are give feed with flax to increase the omega-3's in their eggs, but I'd just as soon eat the flax myself.)

And "free range" inside the barn is still far preferable to the barbaric battery cage set up that most laying hens spend their lives in.

Laura
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 13:34

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

What's the difference between "free range" and "cage free?"
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 14:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Note that with most "free range" eggs, the chickens never leave the crowded barn, so the nutrition in their eggs is totally a reflection of their feed. If they actually DO get outside into grass, and get to eat weeds and grubs, it really does make a difference. (Some hens are give feed with flax to increase the omega-3's in their eggs, but I'd just as soon eat the flax myself.)

I've heard we don't do well with plant sources of Omega-3's that we're better off getting it from animal sources who have done the conversion. I don't recall all the details why, just that we're not as good at it as other animals are. Maybe someone else will know.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 15:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Cool - cause I never stopped eating them even when they got a really bad reputation - I never gave up butter either.
Hey Nancy - I think I read that too - somewhere.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 17:06

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
What's the difference between "free range" and "cage free?"

Cage free just means that they are not in cages. They don't need to have access to the outside. Free range means that they have outside access. But people who have investigated it (e.g. Michael Pollan in The Omnivore's Dilemma) say that what they do is they keep the doors closed until the chickens are a certain age (the regulations were jiggered so they are allowed to do this). By that time, even when the (small) doors are opened, the chickens won't leave.

I think Free Range usually applies to the chicken we eat, Cage Free to the laying hens.

Then there's this new term cropping up, which is "pastured". This is (at this point anyway) an unregulated term which is being used by farmers who really do let their chickens on pasture, which is what we tend to think when we hear "free range".

More here:

http://www1.umn.edu/dining/awareness.html
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 17:18

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've heard we don't do well with plant sources of Omega-3's that we're better off getting it from animal sources who have done the conversion. I don't recall all the details why, just that we're not as good at it as other animals are. Maybe someone else will know.

Certainly the long chain types of omega-3's (EPA and DHA) aren't available in plants, at least to any substantial extent. Fish are the main supplier of this type, as far as I know. This is important, because although we can theoretically make the longer-chain ones from the shorter-chain ones, not every body is good at it (this may also be one of those age-related things, I can't quite remember).

Frankly, I don't know what kinds of omega-3s are in the "enriched" eggs. If anyone else knows, I'd be interested.