Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKo
As far as cooking the lasagna noodles, well how else would you cook it except BOIL it and then do the layering in the casserole. Unless you are thinking of those special noodles that are not made to be boiled first and cost twice as much as the regular pasta. They say "oven ready" or something on the box. Or if you use fresh pasta, you might not have to pre-boil it for lasagna.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. The only directions I was able to track down (above) imply that one is to eat the noodles after boiling. Take a look at the recipe- no where will you find any mention of layering/casserole, just boil, drain and 'enjoy.' Which, imo, is completely insane.

Now, if the layering/casserole recipe exists somewhere else on the box, that's another story. I wasn't able to find it online and, unfortunately, I can't get the lasagna noodles in my area so I don't have a box in front of me. If anyone does have the layering/casserole directions from box handy, I'd appreciate it if they could share them.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 13:19
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying. The only directions I was able to track down (above) imply that one is to eat the noodles after boiling. Take a look at the recipe- no where will you find any mention of layering/casserole, just boil, drain and 'enjoy.' Which, imo, is completely insane.

Oh!!! Doah on me sorry I didn't know you didn't have a layering/sauce recipe.

Theres probably hundreds of different recipes for that. A basic would be a very thin layer of sauce, just to keep the noodles from sticking to the pan and then start layering in this order.

noodle/meat sauce/cottage cheese (with an egg mixed in)/ grated cheese/

some people would put spinach in with the cottage cheese. I bet you can find lots of good recipes for LC lasagna here on this site. Sorry but I've never made it LC.

Last edited by KoKo : Sat, Jul-08-06 at 14:12.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 13:33
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

There's quite a few lasagna recipes on this

http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?searchid=1015803

thread, not knowing your tastes I won't suggest one to you but hope you find something you like in there.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Now, if the layering/casserole recipe exists somewhere else on the box, that's another story. I wasn't able to find it online and, unfortunately, I can't get the lasagna noodles in my area so I don't have a box in front of me. If anyone does have the layering/casserole directions from box handy, I'd appreciate it if they could share them.

Okay Scott.
I don't use their recipe but here it is copied straight from the box:

Traditional Lasagna

12 pieces Dreamfields Lasagna
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, mincec
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
8 oz. sliced mushrooms, optional
8 oz. lean ground beef
8 oz. bulk Italian sausage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 container (16oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
4 cups marinara sauce

Prepare lasagna according to package directions. Dran and rinse in cold water. Drain well. In a large skilet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute garlic, onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes; remove from heat. Transfer vegetables to another dish. Using the same skillet, on medium heat, brown ground beef and Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper; stir and crumble meats. Cook about 10 minutes until no longer pink; drain juices. Mix in vegetable mixture. Pre-heat over to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13x9x3 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
Layer 3 lasagna pieces, 1/3 of the ricotta chese, 1/2 the meat mixture, 1 cup marinara sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
--then it lists this same layering directions two more times making 3 layers (I'm cutting my typing here)--
Top with Parmesan cheese, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serves 12. Calories: 416 - Protein: 27 grams -- Digestible Carbs: 11 grams -- Fat: 22 grams
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 16:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

THANK YOU, JJB!!

So, 12-14 minutes of boiling, then baked 55 minutes at 375...

WOW, that is forever!!!!

And this is supposed to still retain it's 'protected' carbs after more than an hour cooking time?

*shaking my head* I don't know...