Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default good answers

These are all great ideas for responding to ignorance. very civil too. I must admit to far less patience. If I am offered something I don't eat (almost always by a stranger or new friend) I say" no thanks I really don't like sweets, pasta, salty foods" or whatever they are trying to poison me with. People seem to be ok with the fact you simply don't like something. when told "Oh, go ahead and try this kind, you will like it the way I make it"..I say, "Nope, I am a coward and don't try stuff I know I don't like."
If before they know me well and find out I am LC and ask "isn't that the bacon diet", or "I have heard people die from that diet ". I just tell them don't be stupid, go do the research before you mouth off at me. Rude? sure, But I think its rude to advise me on how to lead my life without me asking. or tell me what I am doing wrong. I have even been know to ask family members when they got their MD license or the information they lovingly dump on me for my own good...that was early on, before I became a bit more militant about my lifestyle. now, they are sending me LC recipes and books they see.
Remember...never falter...never yield...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:29
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Lo Carb

Hello ladies,
Today I worked at the food and clothes shelter of our Catholic church. The man that run it called me skinny butt. I just smiled and he asked if I was still low carbing. I said, yes and then he said I brought you some cake. I said you know where you can put that cake. He said where. I said either throw it or give it away. No more for me. I like the way I am feeling and sugar and flour makes me This is the way I am going to be for the rest of my life.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:48
Registered Member

BF:
Default Love it!!

I love it!!! I can not wait till someone calls me that, and to think you told him where to stuff carbs. You must be so proud. It was a snotty thing to do, ask you about low carb and then wave cake in your face. be strong, you can win the battle against meanness, and ignorance...what if you were allergic ?? or diabetic?? would that rude behavoir be accepted? NO! Good for you for giving him what for. What kind of person tryies to sabatoge and poison another human being? Go Get Him!! NEVER YIELD
Jane
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 05:51
Pending Member

BF:
Smile Planning to get him

Oh Jane,
I am just waiting for him to start again. He is a diabetic and well as I so I am going to make a great low carb dessert for one of our dinner and I am going to say ,"Oh no, you don't need any dessert Bert. Your'll getting to big for your bridges" Bert is always like that with everyone saying things without thinking. I just ignore him because I know him for a long time. But, Fat Tuesday is next week and we have a dinner before Lent. So I report what goes on.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default great idea

I wish I were a fly on the wall and could watch his face...
Low carb desserts are a lot of fun, all your people will eat them and never know they are low carb..here is one of my favorites to share with co workers who bad mouth LC living.

Strawberry Pie

1/2 cup pecan meal ( or crushed nuts)= 8carb-4 fiber=4
1/4 stick of butter melted =0
2 pkgs of splenda or heat tolerant sweetner= 0
1 bag of froze whole strawberries..no sugar added OR
1 Quart fresh Strawberries. =44 carbs -14 fiber=30
1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese (soft) =8
sweetener ( I use liquid for this its no carb) =0
1 pkg sugar free strawberry jello =0
total = 60 - 28 fiber.

use the pecan meal, melted butter and sweetener to make a crust ( like graham cracker crust) bake in 350 oven about ten minutes. let it cool. while this is cooling combine the cream cheese and the sweetener blend well till all smooth. spread this into the bottom of the cooled pie crust. take some of the strawberries and cut them in half, push them into the cream cheese to make a pretty pattern. place the remaining berries in a sauce pan just cover with water, simmer till mushy, add the jello, mix well and pour this over the cream cheese/berries in the crust. chill till firm. NO one can tell its low carb..when people ask for the recipe I give them the high carb version with sugar and cornstarch the carb count is low enough you can enjoy this tasty dish without guilt. Hope it helps.
one of my co-workers was talking in front of customers last week about being plus size, I laughed and then she said looking at me, yep, it must be hard to be 3x. I did NOT fat her lip for her, just laughed and asked" is that what size you are now? I have some that are too big for me I can give you!!) every day is a victory. fight the good fight.
Jane
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

That thing that Donnaj said about people offering you junk food and then being offended if you won't accept it reminds me of how so many adults, especially shop keepers offer young children lollies (that's Australian for candy) without bothering to ask the parents if it's alright, and out of ear shot of the children.
I think it's so rude to assume that's it's ok to give children sugar, just because they are children and "a bit won't hurt".
I'm not a fanatic, my kids get their share of sugary foods but not excessively and this WOE has made me realise how much carb most people shovel into themselves unaware of the addiction and dependence they are setting up in them selves, particularly children, not to mention all the obese children , tooth decay and early onset diabetes around.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:30
Registered Member

BF:

Cali,
you are so right, people need to be made aware that what may seem just a harmless treat to them, can actually make others ill. (like my DH). its not just to children either, we are all offered treats in the stores and at work people bring stuff in constantly, without concern to special dietary needs. what might be a good way to handle this in a less rude way? (NOT slapping it out of their hands and screaming POISON, POISON !!! POLICE POLICE!!!) which I swear, one of these days , I am just going to try it in a grocery and see what happens. (wicked, Jane, wicked)
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:10
Pending Member

BF:
Default Good evening ladies

I am just now setting down to answer email. How was everyone day. My was wonderful. I went to get more blood work and it didn't hurt for achange. She used an infant needle and I didn't even feel it. Why can't they do that all the time. I think some medical people are Santic.
Cali, I know what you mean about shop keeper giving away candy to children. When I was younger we had family own stores and every day we would get free candy but my mom told the store keeper that she only wanted us to get one free candy and week. Now looking back, my mom was a very smart lady.

Jane, you crack me up. I feel like to the same thing so we must be on the same thought wave. Especially, at Sam's, it is a warehouse buying, they have all these wonderful desserts and all the processed food for samples. I told one ladies with cream puff. No thanks if I eat one I will blow up and explode. She looked at me like oh my. I love see people faces when you say no to anything forbidden.
Jane, do you have a good bread recipe. My sister tried making soya bread tonight and she said it tasted like (you know what)
Her husband through it outside and she hopes her rabbits are still alive tomorrow. Well have a good evening and don't forget to ask that the whoosh fairy well visit you tonight.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:35
Registered Member

BF:

sorry I have been away so long. Is everyone still fighting the good fight? I think we have Sam's here too. I try to stay out of any place that encourages me to buy in bulk!! I go broke. Yes, I have a bread recipe, not for a bread machine though, but I will work on one for you. Mostly, I just exchange a 50-50 mix of oat-gluten flour for the bread flour. regular flour is approx 100 carbs a cup. oat flour is 48 when your minus 9 for fiber, and gluten is 24, it has no fiber. I use arrowmill and bobs redmill . so half a cup of gluten is 12 plus 24 for the oat equals 36 carbs a cup. it makes biscuits doable. I make a lot of quick breads and cakes, check out the banana bread recipe, I mix ingredients around and make pumpkin, herb, and pnut butter. good luck Jane
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:53
Pending Member

BF:

thanks Jane, I have copy and pasted and saved the bread recipe until later. I have started a list of food that I can not eat /eat. So I started back for 2 days on nothing but protein. Today and tomorrow is lettuce added to protein. Then I start with green beans for two day and so on. But I will try the bread after I get through vegetable and cheese. Wish me luck.
Donna
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:07
Registered Member

BF:

I have not heard of that. just protein, and then add lettuce etc, is it a jump starter? or somethig? I like the sound of it. do you have more details or a thread I can look at? Tell me more please.
Jane
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Donna is this to find out which foods cause you to stall or put you out of ketosis?
Will you include testing different types of cheese? i.e. white cheeses compared to yellow? And what about the carbs in eggs and shell fish?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:10
Pending Member

BF:
Default Hello

Hello Jane and Cali,
No I was planning for a quick start but since I have been doing my list which is in my journel. I have started losing again. So far, I know protein, like meats and eggs are okay for me.
Vegetables so far have been lettuce with wine vinegar and oil, green beans
Today was a fast day for me for Lent. So, I try mozzarella sticks and pecans for my added food. I will post tomorrow if this was a problem. Yes, I am going to test both white and yellow cheese.
It will take time but I have the rest of my life.

Girls, I have to go for now but I will post tomorrow if I lost. I plan to test each food for two days and then try another. I hope this help.
Donna
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:12
Pending Member

BF:
Default Corrections

I didn't start this for quick start and Cali it was to break a stall.
Sorry about the mistakes. I am getting very tired and I make mistakes allot when I am.

Good night again,
Donna
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

thanks for the info. I am going to try something similar as soon as I get over this flu. I will go look at your journal too. thanks again
Jane