Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 15:01

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Nille...I'm so glad that the root is working for you!! I've read that the dandelion leaf works better, but if the root works....that makes it so much easier!!!

BTW I did start a journal....I'm not great at journals, but I just put it up about two days ago...have one response, and I just now added something else!

Again...I'm so happy for you!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 12:16

Plan: Medical Weight Loss Center
Stats: 238/220/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello "Fellow Turtles"! I'm happy to see this group...I've been following Atkins now for about 3 months and while my DH has lost nearly 20 lbs. to date (and his cholesterol is lower than either of us have ever seen it - he typically runs in the 225-250 range - last checked was 186!!!) I can report that I've lost maybe 6-8 lbs. I weigh once a week and sometimes it's up and sometimes it's down but the average in 3 months of only 8 lbs. (at best) is disappointing. I've cut back on caffeine (50% caffeinated/50% decafe for my ONE morning cup of coffee); I do eat nuts - but try not to eat the salted ones; I do eat bacon and hot dogs, but not every day. I don't eat sugar free jello at all; but I do enjoy a piece of chocolate - I try to find the ones with very high cocoa content and low carbs/sugars- those are the expensive ones in the gourmet food sections - Valhrona and some other fancy names. Sometimes I make my own chocolate topping by melting some of that chocolate and adding some heavy cream and then pouring that over Suzanne Somers chocolate nut cake (I make mine without the sugar she calls for in her recipe - I use Splenda & Sweet n low) and I use Crystal Light and artificial sweetners in my ONE cup of coffee and in any other sweetened foods I eat. I didn't lose any weight on induction so I moved on to having a few more veggies (salads, cauliflower, brocolli). This week I'm adding 2-15 minute sessions on the treadmill (can't actually do more than that at a time) and trying to increase my water intake to see if I get any response by the end of the week. I am also taking HRT's and have to think that's contributing to my slow weight loss. I have tried very hard not to cheat - I've actually cheated 3 times in three months at an Italian restaurant by eating bread and spagetthi...but no dessert! HA! So I've really avoided sugar the whole time but not some of those evil carbs.

Does anyone know of a way to contact anyone at the Atkin's Institute to see if they can help those of us who are have metabolic resistance? I tried Atkin's suggestion of the all fats diet and I lasted exactly 1/2 day! I was starving and felt that if I didnt' eat some meat I would have eaten ANYTHING - bread, crackers, fruit...so it wasn't working out for me.

Loved reading your "Turtle Club" stories. Nice to know I'm not alone in my efforts.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 20:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well, I am a turtle. I lost really well at first - 25 pounds. Then nothing for 5 months. Last week I lost 5 pounds. I don't know why. I do several things that are on the list. I have a drink several times a week. I eat pork rinds 2 or 3 times a week. I eat some nuts each week and a lot of cheese. I also hate exercise and admit it it gets pushed when push comes to shove. I note in my food diary that I ate no cheese last week when I lost. I guess that is the first thing to give up.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi all,

I lost 20 lbs very easily for the first 4-5 months then I stopped. My weight volleyed up and down until we moved to our new home. I have since lost 5 lbs. That is how I did it. I bought a new house Hey you guys, all you have to do is buy a new house (LOL). Actually, I think that the fact that we went from a single story apartment to a 2 story home. Having to climb stairs is hard work.

I have slowed again but hopefully, after joining Curves, it will drop a little more. I try to keep my diet consistant and remember that I have never lost this much weight...ever. I guess I can just alow my body to decide when each pound will come off.

Black57
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:07

Plan: SBD
Stats: 200/191/180 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:watch it jiggle
Progress: 45%
Default I need help!

Hello-

I'm in week 9 and I've been at the same weight for 6 weeks. I lost roughly 11-12 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I'm considering going off plan to fool my body then jumping back on to spark some movement.

I exercise at least 3 days a week- I walk around 30mins.
I eat between 20-25 carbs a day. I drink boat loads of water.
My doc says my thyroid is fine.

After reviewing the checklist:
http://www.lowcarbretreat.com/plateaus.html

These are the issues I think ring the closest with me.

12. YOU MAY BE DRINKING TOO MUCH COFFEE OR TEA
I have roughly 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Can this small amount hold me back even with exercise?

19. WHAT ABOUT QUANTITIES?
and
20. YOU MAY HAVE TO COUNT CALORIES IN ADDITION TO CARBOHYDRATES

I eat 3 main meals a day and at least 2 snacks. celery with peanut butter or a lc chocolate. I know I'm within the 20-25 carb intake range. My meat source is varied between turkey, beef, and chicken.

If I have eggs I usually eat 2, sausage 2-3 (once a day). Cheese varies from none to 3oz.

Veggies are broccoli, peppers, zuccini.

Indulgences I almost always have a cocoa: unsweetened cocoa, splenda and whipping cream.... in fact whipping cream is my big suspect. I bet I have 1/2 of one of those mini containers of it a day.

ideas? suggestions to finding the reason behind my hold on fat.?.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:12

Plan: SBD
Stats: 200/191/180 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:watch it jiggle
Progress: 45%
Default Yeah no-one ever comes here

Glad I finally broke through my stall with my own new rules!! No-one ever visits this section... I can hear an echo right now ;-)
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:22

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey Redhead, what are you're new rules? how did you break your stall. and don't look at me, I've been on mtce for one year, (not intentionally, but that's about how long I've been this weight). what did you do? chris
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:06

BF:
Default Finally LOST some weight!

FINALLY...I've figured out what will work for me. Turns out I had to give up the cheese, most of the butter, whipping cream and the high fat meats (bacon, sausages, beef)...I eat a LOT of fish...almost every day; chicken thighs, vegeatable (brocolli, cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus). A salad for lunch and lamb (usually in a gyro sandwich of which I only eat half the pita) and I've lost (drum roll)...ALMOST 20 POUNDS!! For me this is a big breakthrough. I was on Atkin's from July to Jan. 1 and only lost 5 lbs. On Jan 1 I started by visiting a commercial weight loss clinic but found out after a while that their diet is mostly low carb (or minimal carbs) fish, chicken and veggies. I still go and weigh in 3 times a week (helps to keep me on track to know I will have to go and "face the girls")...and I drink at least 64 oz of water a day...some days more. I eliminated the cream from my coffee and the sweet n low and just drink it black...it's not too bad. I think my problem was all the high fats. I also walk for 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week on my treadmill. So this combination is what's working for me. I'm still a turtle...but at least now I think I've found what works for me...
  #99   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:59

Stats: 268/260/178 Female 5 ft 8 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default new turtle

Hi all! New to the group . . . this is my second time for low-carbing. Did so successfully nearly 10 years ago when I took off 65 pounds. Strayed off the program, gained weight back . . . In January, I went onto low-carb Atkins, and I have lost 8 to 10 pounds total, depending on what day it is. My weight floats back and forth a lot. I stay way-low on carbs, count them religiously, and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I lose weight differently than others. I'm trying to stay positive, but I thought this forum might surround me with other turtles who aren't losing quite so quickly. Kathryn the teawife
  #100   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:06

Plan: The Zone, Soup diet - on occasion
Stats: 134/129.8/110
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

Hi teawife

I'm with you...just starting back. I did really well (lost around 20 pounds) on a home tailored Atkins/Zone version. I've since decided to do it MY WAY! I was concerned about the overall healthiness of Atkins and found the Zone a bit hard to work out...(those %'s). Anyway, I sit right in the middle and it really works for me.

Since then I've had a bub, and well, all concern for weight went out the window..with the scales. I gained 25kilos (55 pounds). Bubby is 7 1/2 weeks and I can proudly say I've already lost 16of them (35 pounds). Leaves me with around 9/10 to lose. I realise the easy part is over and now it's down to business.

I'm glad to be back on the site..for all the encouragement I'm going to need.

We can do it!
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

im a turtle im doing lc right but i have low thyroid and im peri menopause what chance do i have HELP HELP
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 21:31
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I'm a turtle too... lose very slow even when I do Akins right... even on induction.

This year I finally decided to go with it....

Here's how I see it. When I eat low carb I feel so much better, especially IBS issues.

The main thing is that even if I lose a pound a week, it's better than nothing which is what I get on the "so called standard diet". So I'm taking my pound a week to the bank, and so far this year in 22 weeks, I down 23 pounds. The consistency is what I really need the most. I'm happy with my results.

Cheryl
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:12

Plan: dr charles clarke
Stats: 171/158/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

great advice this thread has answered all the questions I had.

Thanks!
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:06

Plan: just low carb eating
Stats: 193/180/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

when I first started atkins induction I did eat low carb snacks and bars for a between meal snack and still lost 13 lbs in 2 wks and then I read that lc snacks and bars are a no- no so I quit eating them, but then my weight stalled , and is still stalled, yes I do eat a bar every once in while for a snack between meals, but I want to know what is stalling me, could it be the eggs and bacon I eat every morning, what else could I eat? would a small bowl of oatmeal with heavy cream be ok?? please let me know cause I really want to get the pounds off. I also exercise at a gym 4-5 days a week cardio and weight machines( no free weights tho, dont want to bulk up just tone up get a lean toned body)
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:22

BF:

Hi twin2...try watching your calorie intake for a couple of weeks and see if that gets you going again. I had to drop the bacon and eggs routine...went to a plain 1/2 c. serving of oatmeal - definitely no heavy cream at all in my program now! Couldn't take the added calories and get anywhere at all.