Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking Turtle - I might be one!

I was encouraged to check this board out on the general site and glad to read all the posts here. ( a question though, why do these run consectutively from 'old to new' when the board opens?) At any rate, I began 1-5-03- 239# - dropped 8# and 8" "YEAH!"
I never seemed to get into ketosis - with only one stick turning the next color from beige. I do have thyroid nodules - only 'watching them ' according to my doctor. Bottom line is, I am remaining under 23 grams of carbs daily and I am stuck there.

My 'baby' daughter is being married 6-14-03 and I my goal is get down to a solid size 14 by then (16-18 now) and sure would love to be in the under 200 range. My true goal is 160 but I want to be realistic. Slow and steady wins the 'race' - as turtles this must be our way.

Looking forward to hearing more from you other terrapins!

Jan
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 15:32

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hey Tawnya,
if I were you, I'd really try to slowly get off the coffee (it can be done, I used to drink at least 10 cups a day and am now down to 1 or 2 decaf a day - took me 6 months); then add fat to your meals if you feel you don't eat enough - can be olive oil, too, if you don't feel like having butter; and I would not drink the diet soda's, because I am sensitive to artificial sweeteners and maybe you are, too!
well, hope this helps you some, good luck
Willeke
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 15:35

Hi Jan,
did you read the very first message of this thread? If you go through all the items, you may already be able to pinpoint where you may have gone "astray".
I see it as a challenge and an interesting puzzle, to find out what I need to do to lose weight, and I do, now. Very slowly, but that's OK, it does go down, so I will get there!
good luck to you, too!
Willeke
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 196/178/155
BF:Never measured
Progress: 44%
Default For Tawnya

Hi...

I was stalled too, until I cut out the artificial sweeteners in things. That was last week, I decided to try it, and now I'm down another 2 lbs. I'll take them!!! I was eating a diet jell-o dessert I found in Atkins' book. Guess it's a no-no for me. Also may have been eating too many nuts. Too easy to just pop another one in and not really count it. One leads to another and another and pretty soon I had 9 more carb grams in my count. I have now been experimenting with Splenda and don't seem to be affected by it like I may have been on the aspartame.

Main thing I've decided is to keep up with this woe even if I stall. I figure it this way: Need to firm up as I go along and the stalls give me time to do that. Then lose more, then firm it all up. Do you exercise? Anyways, hang in there, if nothing else, don't you just feel better all day long?

Videochick
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 21:45

Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%
Default Probably a Turtle But Happy!

Hi -- I'm a new member of the Forum, been reading the posts for awhile and finally decided to jump in and join. I think I'm a turtle -- started LC in Sept 02, and decided I would NEVER get on a scale but just go by my clothes, because from past experience I know I lose extremely slowly. I'm only five feet tall and have (alas) really small bone structure so I figure it will just take a long time. I drink coffee, eat things with aspartame, and probably could "tighten up" and lose faster but somehow I feel I would rather lose slowly than feel so deprived that I drop out. I am hardly ever tempted to cheat! But I also am not setting myself any unrealistic (I think) goals. I figure if I can fit back into some of my size 8's after a year of this and I can live LC for the rest of my life who cares if I lose it slowly? So does that make me a turtle or just not very strict with myself?

LOVE the forum!

thanks, jsandrock
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 01:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
So does that make me a turtle or just not very strict with myself?

You answered your own question:
Quote:
and probably could "tighten up" and lose faster

The impoortant thing is that you are doing what you are comfortable with and that's all that matters!

Karen
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 17:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default ...and again

Count that "golden moment" question from me too ... This is my second serious attempt at the protein power thing (I lost about 50 lbs in 3 months the first time ... have already gained back 30 of it !!!) and now, sadly, I'm trying again. Anyway, it seems a LOT slower this time. OK, maybe even backwards. I've been on it a week and gained 2 pounds. I swear I've been doing everything the same though! That, and on my first try I lost about 7 pounds in the first week. Any suggestions? (uh, aside from "you shouldn't have gained back 30 lbs")

Thanks!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:45

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Karen,
I just stopped by glad I did. I wanted to compliment you every thing I have read that you have written has so much insight I always learn something. Pat S

Last edited by Pat S. : Sat, Apr-05-03 at 15:49.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 16:31

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have a question - when you cut out Artificial Sweeteners.. does that include Stevia and Opti-Sweet (made from kiwi?). They are supposed to be "natural sweeteners"... I don't think I could manage to cut out ALL sweeteners.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 08:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
when you cut out Artificial Sweeteners.. does that include Stevia and Opti-Sweet (made from kiwi?). They are supposed to be "natural sweeteners"... I don't think I could manage to cut out ALL sweeteners.

Well, a sweetener is a sweetener, no matter where it comes from. If you crave and are continually drawn to sweeteners, it could be a trouble area.

Usually sweeteners come in a vehicle - a dessert, a cake, a cookie, a bar - so it's not the sweeteners per se, but the over indugence in low-carb goodies that mimic high carb foods.

The insidious thing is you get lulled into thinking that it's OK because everything you're eating is low carb. True, but eating this stuff on a daily basis keeps you stuck in the "sweet trap". Then you have a sweetener addiction to deal with.

If you can have a sweet, say once a week, I don't see a problem. On a daily basis, yes, it could be a problem.

I think that very few people will have artificial sweeteners alone when they crave sweets. I've never heard of anyone eating a packege of Equal by itself.

Karen
  #56   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 20:21

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Karen, that was the funniest thing, I could just see all us locarbers sitting around the table having envelopes of equal. Will you have another, no thanks, I'm full, only one envelope of equal per evening. I'm dieting. Ha Ha Ha. chris
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 17:52
Registered Member

Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%

I don't kow if I am a Turtle but thanks for the info. I can see where I am making some big mistakes. I love cheese and it ha been a staple. I also have not given up my diet coke but i have cut down tremedously.
thanks for the pointers. I will make the necessary changes and see what happens.
I just love these forums. i have learned sooooo much.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 10:37

Default instead of a PM...

I wanted to send you a PM, Karen, but your postbox was full, so I thought I'd just send it here, hoping that you visit here regularly!

Hi Karen,
I'd like to ask your permission to quote your message Are You Really A Turtle on the Dutch Atkins list that I'm a member of, and also if I can translate it for them.
I am a qualified professional sworn in translator, so your text will be treated with respect - and expertise, language wise and diet wise .

I appreciate all the support you give on the forum, in this section and others! Just wish I had more time to visit more!
Willeke
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 10:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hi everyone,,,I have been reading butnor posting on this thread...but now I have a couple of questions.
I have been on a roller coaster since Janueary, with the same 6 pounds. On and off , on and off....so........
I cut out caffeine,,,gave up my diet soda....drinking more water,,cutting back on the sweetener,,,,,,and the 6 pounds was back this morning!!! My carb levels have been around 25 per day...i am tryin got cut out the cheese,,,but about allthats left to eat is meat! So, for breakfast I had three small cheeseburgers with Mayo...for lunch I am having 2 pork chops. All with water, water,,water. What else can I do?? I have been eating some salad also,,,,with blue cheese dressing. To be very honest...I am discouraged and puzzled as to why the WOE has stopped working. No,,,I havent lost any inches that I can tell....and I am not aboutto pick up the tape measure cause if it said no change I would be in the pits.
Any suggestions anyone?? I am a 56 year old grandmother who works full time in retail..so am on my feet a lot, so I am not sedentary. HELP!!!
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:38

Hi MusicMama!
I'd really say, give it a try and forget about cheese for a week or two and see what happens! I can't afford eating cheese - weightwise - and maybe you're sensitive to it, too!

Willeke