Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:33

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%
Default RODNEY

Quote:
Vilicia: At 285# and maybe 50% bodyfat, you probably need at least 150 grams of protein per day (or 1 gram per pound of lean body mass). That would be 2 scoops of whey protein for breakfast, 7 grams of chicken for lunch and 7 grams of beef for supper.

Also, you should be able to eat 3400 calories per day and maintain your weight. At 2900 calories, you should loose about 1 pound per week or more. I say more, because at your bodyweight, you have a lot of muscle and a fast metabolism (I'm sure it doesn't seem that way right now). If you cut your calories to 1900 per day, I'll bet your body will panic and go into starvation mode, so make sure you get somewhere between 1900 and 2900 calories per day and at least 150 grams of protein

Hi Rodney,
thank you for your interest, I haver a question though.. I think you can't mean 7 grams of chicken... is that 7 ounces? I didn;t now about the amount of 150 grams of protein, but I will make sure I get that. I get approx 2500 cals a day, would that be enough to lose weight?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this! will keep you all informed about my progress (or lack of it <g>)
Vilica
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:40

Default bodyfat

another question, Rodney.
How can I calculate my percentage of bodyfat? I don;t really think it's 50%, I have always been much heavier than I looked, and have always been pretty active, so I think my muscles are well developed under all that fat <g>.
Seriously, I'd like to know how to calculate the amount of protein that I really need.
thanks again!
Vilica
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Default Grams v. Onces Oops!

Dear Vilicia,

Oops! Yes, you are correct: I meant 7 onces of meat, not seven grams. Good catch.

There are a couple of ways to measure body fat.

My wife and I just bought a digital scale with built in body fat measuring system. It uses electrical impedence to give a pretty good estimate of body fat.
You can also buy calipers at GNC and "pinch an inch" at your waist then use the table to read your percentages.
Or, you can buy the Weider ABS magazine that's out on the news stands right now. I uses your weight and waiste and a chart to give you your bodyfat. All these measure come out at about 23% for me, so I have to think they all work pretty well. I like the scale the best though--big, plain numbers, no guessing.

Since you actually know how many calories you are eating (and 2,500 sounds good for an active woman like you), you can look at your actual lean/fat% and tell in a week or so if your diet is working. Then you can adjust up or down on calories or carbs or protein or whatever and you'll be basing your choices on solid information. You'll do great!!

Best wishes,
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I too just got the scale that reads body fat.... yuck. Not sure I like this information

I have to wonder about these scales though...
My percentage was 35% (which I can believe)
but other members of my family who are VERY lean (surfers, very active and thin) were at 27% and 30%.

(FYI got mine at Sears on sale for $40)
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hello everyone, just found this thread as I was lurking to find some encouragement. I have been stalled for about a month now..started Atkins on June 20, 2002, and so far have lost 40 pounds. But in the last month, nothing. Still committed to this WOL though. After reading the posts, I see many things I can "tweak", too much caffeine, too much sweetener,,too much diet pop...and I intend to do all that. I have already increased my water intake, that was a hard thing for me.

Rodney,,I have a few questions for you.....
How do I figure how much protein to eat a day?? I go to fitday but it doesnt tell me how much i need, just how much I have had that day. I can figure my calories, but how about the protein.? I would appreciate any input!! And as for exercise....I am 55 years old, and work a full time moderately active job,,tell me some easy things to do to break myself into exercising. You know,,,a beginner workout or something, what is the best thing to start with??
Glad I found you all,,,your determination has "tweaked" mine!!

CYA lighter
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Default How much protein?

Dear MusicMama,

40 pounds? Wow! Great job. It sounds like you are doing lots of things right already.

For protein, I like to get 1 gram per pound of lean mass per day. Active bodybuilder types take in 1 gram per pound of total mass per day. In active folks might only need .8 or .9 grams per pound of lean mass. For example. If I weight 140 pounds with 100 pounds of Lean Mass (muscle and bone) and a moderate activity level, I should do fine with 100 grams of protein per day. For more information, get the "Protein Power" book.

For exercise, you might just start walking 3-5 minutes per day. After a week of that, add 1 minute per week. It might be more fun to make these additional minutes half walk and half a fast walk or jog. Work up to 15-20 minutes, then take a week off and start over.

For weight lifting, get the book "Power to the People." My body loves deadlifts and heavy weight and short sets. My workout is done in my living room and only takes 10 minutes but really really helps me.

Good luck.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 11:48
Registered Member

Stats: 230/223/150 Female 5ft 9 in
BF:Got No Clue
Progress: 9%

Finally! I have found someone experiencing the same problem I am having. I did Atkins in 2001. I lost 60 pounds in 4-5 months. Looked and felt great. Then, I got sick (meningitis) and decided I need to quit smoking.(1 year ago this month). Guess what? I gained every ounce I lost back!!

So here I go again. I have been LCing since Jan. 6, 2003 and have lost a total of 5 lbs. I can't believe its not working! Am I destined to carry around this weight forever? Augh!! I try not to get discouraged but the weight is going nowhere!

The turtle club, can I join too?
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:43

Default you were right, Rodney!

Hi Rodney,
I've been keeping an eye on my calories, around 2500 all the time, and my protein, at least 150 grams a day, and of course my water intake of at least 96 oz, and guess what... my weight was suddenly down to 125 kilo's (275 pounds) this morning! Last week I went up and down between 129 and 126 kilo's, and the last 2 days it was 127, and now suddenly 125! I am so pleased, and will definitely continue this way!
thaks a lot, I am sure you helped me get a break!!
Willeke
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:46
Registered Member

Stats: 230/223/150 Female 5ft 9 in
BF:Got No Clue
Progress: 9%

Good Job Willeke!

I wish I were having that kind of sucess. I think I am destined to be stuck in my rut!

Tanz
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:09

Default dear Tanz

it took a lot of work to get here, I have been studying and reading and tweaking from 6th November, so who knows where you will be after more than two months?? You've just started!!! You're only finding your way in the diet again now!
The first 2 times I did Atkins, things went a lot faster with me, too, this time it is much harder, but I WILL get there!!
and so will you, just keep smiling and tweaking <g>!
cheers
Willeke
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 22:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Thanks Rodney, I will try that little workout,,,,sounds like a great way to break in to exercising.
today I went to Barnes and Noble and bought the new Atkins book,,,as well as a new carb counter and diary. I am writing everything down,,,,getting back on track. I have been sloppy with the carb creep I think.
Thanks for the input ...I will let ya know how it goes!!

Cya Lighter
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:20

Plan: Nutrisystem
Stats: 185/180.5/155 Female 5'4"
BF:35.6
Progress: 15%
Default I must be a real slow turtle.

Hello Karen, I was told to come to this forum, that it might help. I read all the questions and I can answer no to most if not all. I don't eat hardly any dairy. Maybe a 1/2 c. cottage cheese every now and again. Less than 1oz of cheddar cheese with 2eggs. I do eat 2slices of bacon for breakfast. Salad and meat are my main menus. Not much on veggies,but I do like them. Stayed away from sugars/potatoes/starchy foods all together. I have no problem doing that. I lost 30lb on a 1500 diabetes diet I got from work(a doctor's office). Every since that loss I haven't been able to lose any more. At least not the way I want. I've been on the Aktins diet for 9 days and lost only 2lbs. I'm still not in ketosis and don't know why. Well, I'm going to stop for 1 day and restart again. Maybe I can do it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not giving up. maxine
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 01:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 145.5/145.5/117
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry

Why no cheese.. I thought atkins allows cheese. I have feta and gouda with my salads..is thats whats stalling????HELP!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 05:51

Plan: Nutrisystem
Stats: 185/180.5/155 Female 5'4"
BF:35.6
Progress: 15%

He allows cheeses but you have to watch the carbs. No diet cheeses.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 00:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 240/235/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default I am a turtle

Hey guys, I need help. I am starting back on Atkins today for the 2nd time. I had been on it since right before Christmas and had only lost 5 pounds. I didn't measure until just lately but I knew my clothes fit better and I felt better but I got discouraged and fell off of the wagon for a week. I wonder if I am not eating enough but I am hardly ever hungry, try to keep my carbs below 20 grams daily, try not to eat cheese if I can help it, I drink at least 64 ounces of water /day. I still use caffeine because I work nights and have to stay awake. I drink 2-3 diet sodas/day. I try to walk a mile 2 times/week at least. I take blood pressure med every day and 1 week of hormones every three monthes which really messed me up. I barely show ketosis but I was showing some. Help.