Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 09:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Intestinal Bacteria May Explain Obesity

Intestinal Bacteria May Explain Obesity

The Associated Press
Tuesday, June 13, 2006; 9:25 PM

ST. LOUIS -- The microorganisms that live in your gut could explain one of the sources of obesity, says a new study from researchers at Washington University.

Bacteria live throughout the body, but some intestinal bacteria appear to be better than others at helping their hosts turn food into energy, say researchers Buck S. Samuel and Dr. Jeffrey I. Gordon.

They believe changing the mix of bacteria in the intestine could influence how much people weigh.

Bacteria and archaea, another kind of single-celled organism, are common in the human intestine. Researchers are discovering that together, they help their human hosts extract calories and nutrients from food.

"We know very little about who they are and what they do," said Dr. Martin J. Blaser, chair of medicine at New York University.

Samuel decided to investigate that question by inoculating identical mice with different microbes, or a combination of two of the single-celled organisms.

The researchers found mice whose guts were inoculated with just the bacterium Beta thetaiotaomicron (B. theta) could process rodent food better than mice that were given no bacteria.

A second group of mice were inoculated with a combination of B. theta and an archaeon called Methanobrevibacter smithii (M. smithii). Those rodents could extract many more calories from the same amount of food, but they stored the extra energy as excess fat.

The researchers haven't yet concluded whether obese people have more M. smithii in their intestines. But Blaser said he believes scientists could eventually help control human nutrition by manipulating the types of microbes living in the gut.

The results of the study will be published online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

___

Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6061301608.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This whole area is is interesting to me. I just read an article that discusses how babies get their first bacteria and how antibiotics forever change the sort of bacteria we have. There's even a bacteria that they think is helpful to digesting oxalates and could prevent kidney stones! But this is a really new area of interest and there isn't a whole lot that is known.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 10:25
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

This is interesting. It could account for part of the reason weight loss surgery (particularly gastric bypass) has a higher success rate than dieting. In a gastric bypass a small portion of the intestinal tract (generally less than 10%) is lost in reattaching the new small stomach pouch to the intestinal tract.

In addition, I come from a family where obesity runs pretty rampant. My sister however, was born a little prematurely with her intestinal tract not fully developped. She has never had any weight issues. It's possible that she has a different bacterial mix than the rest of the family because of that, explaining her lack of issue with obesity.

I find it fascinating that everything we "know" isn't necessarily fact. New ideas and concepts are constantly being introduced into our world. I can forsee a day somewhere, a very long time off, no doubt, where they will see us treating obesity with diet and exercise in the same way that we now look at treating cancer with leeches. And people will find it amazing that we didn't know that obesity was really caused by "x-whatever".

Val
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think a large reason LC helps is because sugar feeds parasites - good and bad. On a LC diet, I display almost zero symptoms of fungus/mold (like nasal drip, rashiness). I never get sick anymore. You know what? I bet the bugs in my gut also aren't quite as plentiful. A blood sugar level that is constantly low = good mojo .

One thing that has me confused, is that people intentionally eat cultured yogurts because it is supposed to augment weight loss. If we reason that bugs are energy factories, why would eating fermented yogurt help us lose weight? The only thing I can reason is that the bugs are eating the yogurt, and perhaps some food in our bodies, but they don't colonize our intestines...

PS nancy, could you link up those articles about intestinal bacteria? I find this very facinating and personally I do think it is a big part of why some people seem to be more weight loss resistant...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:33
Experimenter

BF:

I also here that the "good bacteria" crowd out the bad bacteria, that's why you want to eat more bacteria.

Here's a link about gut bacteria: http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums...ad.php?t=134476

Bunch of links in that thread.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/8/3841
Quote:
Oxalate degradation by the anaerobic bacterium Oxalobacter formigenes is important for human health, helping to prevent hyperoxaluria and disorders such as the development of kidney stones. Oxalate-degrading activity cannot be detected in the gut flora of some individuals, possibly because Oxalobacter is susceptible to commonly used antimicrobials. Here, clarithromycin, doxycycline, and some other antibiotics inhibited oxalate degradation by two human strains of O. formigenes. These strains varied in their response to gut environmental factors, including exposure to gastric acidity and bile salts. O. formigenes strains established oxalate breakdown in fermentors which were preinoculated with fecal bacteria from individuals lacking oxalate-degrading activity. Reducing the concentration of oxalate in the medium reduced the numbers of O. formigenes bacteria. Oxalate degradation was established and maintained at dilution rates comparable to colonic transit times in healthy individuals. A single oral ingestion of O. formigenes by adult volunteers was, for the first time, shown to result in (i) reduced urinary oxalate excretion following administration of an oxalate load, (ii) the recovery of oxalate-degrading activity in feces, and (iii) prolonged retention of colonization.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I doubt that the human intestional bateria have changed from 50 years ago, although obesity rates have.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 15:00

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

While this theory is interesting, I don't buy into it at this point.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 15:35
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I doubt that the human intestional bateria have changed from 50 years ago, although obesity rates have.

No, but the use of antibiotics have increased hugely in the last 50 years.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-06, 09:36
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Excellent point, Nancy.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Two generations for humans, but 50 years is a LOT of generations for bacteria.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 19:30

Plan: Self-directed
Stats: 205/205/185 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:

I have become interested in Methanobrevibacter smithii since reading some of the stories in the popular press.

Based on this article summary:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...6&dopt=Abstract

It appears that only Flagyl could reduce (and maybe eliminate) it, while other antibiotics would seem to eliminate only its competition.

Perhaps that's why cattle gain more weight when fed antibiotics such as monensin, flavophospholipol, avilamycin and salinomycin. The antibiotics allow m. smithii to become the dominant player (or one of the dominant players) in the gut. That would be bad news, because while on the one hand m. smithii extracts more calories from food, m. smithii also seems to be able to open cellular gates that allow fat into the cells that store it:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/med...hp?newsid=15752

I wonder if any doctors have started prescribing Flagyl off-label to control obesity? Maybe there are some studies going on...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 20:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's even a bacteria that they think is helpful to digesting oxalates and could prevent kidney stones!
Can you provide more information on the paper that said this? Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 20:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacorps
It appears that only Flagyl could reduce (and maybe eliminate) it, while other antibiotics would seem to eliminate only its competition.
Flagyl was commonly prescribed for lots of things 20-30 years ago, but I don't know anyone who has been prescribed it recently. The newer, fancier ones seem to be what the doctors push these days (probably because of all the promotional literature). Coincidence?

Since I'm allergic to many antibiotics, I avoid them if I can, but as far as I know I am not allergic to Flagyl. Perhaps I'll ask about it if I ever need antibiotics again.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 22:19
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Others may have a deficiency of intestinal Oxalobacter formigenes. These normal intestinal facultative anaerobic bacteria naturally digest oxalate. When the bacteria are lost through prolonged antibiotic use or other reasons, the patient is likely to have increased intestinal oxalate absorption. Oxalobacter is relatively resistant to penicillin and sulfa but sensitive to macrolides, fluoroquinolones, and tetracyclines. Patients with calcium oxalate stones who have lost their natural intestinal Oxalobacter are found to have 40% higher average urinary oxalate levels compared to patients with calcium oxalate stones who have normal intestinal Oxalobacter colonies. Oxalobacter usually colonizes the intestinal tract at approximately age 3 years. Once lost, recolonizing a patient with Oxalobacter is very difficult.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3027.htm
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 06:15

Plan: Self-directed
Stats: 205/205/185 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Flagyl was commonly prescribed for lots of things 20-30 years ago, but I don't know anyone who has been prescribed it recently. The newer, fancier ones seem to be what the doctors push these days (probably because of all the promotional literature). Coincidence?

Since I'm allergic to many antibiotics, I avoid them if I can, but as far as I know I am not allergic to Flagyl. Perhaps I'll ask about it if I ever need antibiotics again.

A poster with the handle "Niels Godfredsen" in the Nature Newsblog seems to believe that Flagyl may have contributed to his inability to keep his weight up:

Quote:
Glad to see from the comments that there is also some interest on the subject from the underweight perspective. As someone who falls into the poor caloric assimilation catagory I have a personal interest in the progress of any research on the subject. Following a trip to Asia a number of years ago I experienced a pronounced but unexplained weight loss. During the trip I contracted a number of intestinal infections (including amoebic dysentery, blue-green algae, C. Diff. among others) which were treated with a variety of antibiotics including some very potent ones such as Flagyl. Since then no doctor has been able to positively identify a cause for (or treat) my weight loss. Subsequently my weight has stabilized but is still significantly lower than prior to the trip. I liken the cause of my gut's inefficiency to it's microflora being a forest that was clear-cut and then never grew in again with quite the same robustness of the original. Research like this holds great promise that we will someday better understand the complex ecology of our internal microflora and be able to apply that knowledge to aid the health of those from both ends of the weight control spectrum.