Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Coffee may cut alcohol liver damage

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/06/1...reut/index.html

Coffee may cut alcohol liver damage

Tuesday, June 13, 2006; Posted: 10:23 a.m. EDT (14:23 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Could Irish coffee be the perfect drink?
Researchers report that drinking coffee cuts the risk of cirrhosis of the liver from alcohol -- by 22 percent per cup each day -- but they stopped short of saying doctors should prescribe coffee for that reason.

The report from the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program in Oakland, California, was based on a look at data from 125,580 people.

"These data support the hypothesis that there is an ingredient in coffee that protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis," concluded the report published in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

What could cause the apparent protective effect is not clear, the report said.

"Coffee is a complex substance with many potentially biologically active ingredients," the study said. "The fact that coffee is also frequently taken with added cream, milk, sugar or other substances adds more possibilities for health effects."

Other studies with similar findings have led to speculation that caffeine could play a role. However, the protective effect was not found among tea drinkers, though the authors said they were not nearly as numerous in the study as coffee users.

The report did not suggest alcohol users increase their coffee consumption or seek out drinks like Irish coffee that combine booze with coffee.

"Even if coffee is protective, the primary approach to reduction of alcoholic cirrhosis is avoidance or cessation of heavy alcohol drinking," the researchers said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 11:35

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

interesting. definitely something to keep in mind. on the other hand, kaiser permanente is such a self serving money sucking entity, i have a difficult time putting much stock in anything that comes from their direction.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 13:01

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm not a drinker, but I am a coffee guzzler so I always like to hear things like this

But leaving the coffee issue aside for the moment, it always cracks me up when a doctor or researcher says "well it helps a lot, but we still don't recommend doing it" - in this case coffee, but most of the time fat. Just shows you where their brains are... and that most of the time they're sitting on them.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 14:14

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
drinking coffee cuts the risk of cirrhosis of the liver from alcohol -- by 22 percent per cup each day --

If nothing else, that means people who are drinking coffee AND enough alcohol to get cirrhosis, are drinking something OTHER than alcohol at some time in the day.

Quote:
but they stopped short of saying doctors should prescribe coffee for that reason.

Anyone drinking enough alcohol to GET cirrhosis a) isn't listening to doctors b) isn't even IN the doctor's office much and c) has more trouble than drinking coffee is going to fix.

Quote:
"The fact that coffee is also frequently taken with added cream, milk, sugar or other substances adds more possibilities for health effects."

The fact that coffee is also frequently consumed with meals, adds yet more possibilities. Alcoholics suffer from bad nutrition, given that alcohol is empty calories. So anyone drinking heavily but still eating is going to be healthier than someone who gets a higher % of calories from alcohol.

Quote:
the protective effect was not found among tea drinkers, though the authors said they were not nearly as numerous in the study as coffee users.

Tea is not served in bars.

Quote:
"Even if coffee is protective, the primary approach to reduction of alcoholic cirrhosis is avoidance or cessation of heavy alcohol drinking," the researchers said.

IANAD, but I think cirrhosis is not reversible--you just ruin more and more of your liver until you're dead, or die of something else first, like pancreatitis. So all the coffee could do is slow the disease process down some--you'd get 22% more time to drink before you die, 22% more time behind the wheel to kill someone else, 22% more opportunities to beat your wife and family...

Duh.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

On Jay Leno last night: Senator Kennedy heard about it while driving and immediately crashed into a Starbucks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 17:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

What if I drink (I like guzzle!) coffee and no alcohol? I am super healthy!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:04
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I do the too much coffee, no alcohol thing, I must have a great liver!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
I do the too much coffee, no alcohol thing, I must have a great liver!
Next year they'll come out with a study that shows that alcohol mitigates the bad effects of coffee!