Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 08:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Some people are sensitive to coffee. Fortunately I'm not!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 11:23
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Ohhh, casein, protein not sugar. Zog understand.

Quote:
I've had a nice drop in weight and my stomach is flattening out again. I've been eating fruits (lots), veggies and plenty of fat and meat. I'm also trying to eat more fish.

Awesome Nancy! Congrats! Now that there are no more food-related events coming up, I am doing the same. Mainly meat and egg, with some veg/fruit. Keeping carbs low as well. Hopefully, I will be reporting the same good news in a week or two.

Welcome, ShayKNJ, to our bloat-a-palooza! Puffy tums begone!
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 11:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Hi and Thanks Way.

I just was reading some threads regarding fruit and how they will bloat you and give you gas. What are your thoughts on this? I am starting a food journal and tracking my feelings starting today but I eat 2-3 servings a day. I am bloated now after lunch. I ate spinach, grilled chicken, tomato, sunflower seeds, O&V, grapes and blueberries. Why the bloat? Fruit? There will be nothing left for me to eat.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 09:18
Dazilous

BF:

Could be the spinach? I've never noticed it with fruit - though I was always so used to being bloated, I never noticed it at all - but some veggies have a horrifyingly gaseous effect on me. Ask my poor BF about the time I ate brussels sprouts. He's never forgiven me.

I tell ya, I wish I could have some sort of monitoring system that told me exactly how what I ate affected me. Like a watch. As soon as I ate something, it would let me know if it was helping or harming me, and how.

What threads were you reading? I'd like to check them out. Some fruits do give me a weird sensation in my tum after I eat them - bananas, for example.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 15:06

Here is the link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=fruit
Mike D posted a website for a bodybuilding site and this is what got me really thinking. Let me know what you guys think.

Today my stomach was great! No soy, no wheat, no raw almonds and no fruit. I did have my coffee and daily raw spinach and I am fine. I have been eating mock danishes for breakfast and my spinach and grilled chicken for lunch and dinner is usually chicken or beef with veggies.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 15:39
Dazilous

BF:

Well I know now, thanks to Nancy, that you need to eat fruit (and veg) with fat to actually get an appreciable amount of nutrients from them. Guess that's why I've always loved apples with cheese

Other than that, makes sense to limit fruit (sugar) during fat-loss. I notice I get hungry much quicker if I eat fruit with a meal. No staying power.

Glad the stomach is happy today! Mine is too, still bloated but feeling so clear!
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 06:07

I have been taught to eat fruit with a protein so your sugar is more stabalized. I used to eat a cheese stick with my apple too but since I gave up dairy I don't. I eat PB instead so that has fat.

Stomach was great yesterday so something is working. It is hard to figure out yet what since I recently gave up several things. This morning the scale was down a pound. Maybe because I had no fruit yesterday. Time will tell.

The little things that make us happy huh? Have a bloat free day.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-06, 07:23

My stomach has been great since I cut out the fruit. No bloat and the scale went from 134 last Sunday to 131 today!
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Aug-13-06, 09:13

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Sharon, regarding your fruit bloat, it may have been the grapes, which are sugary (& often drenched in pesticides & chemicals to keep them looking plump & juicy - I react to only 1-2 grapes!). Next time try the berries separately. Once you've got your safe meat/egg/veggies/fats figured out, then it is easiest to keep track of what you are reacting to if you only add one new food a day. I try one serving per meal (serving size dictated by carb allowance, not standard sizes). Some people don't have a reaction from a rarely ingested food, but will notice a reaction when the amount is increased. Some reactions take a day or more to develop, so the one new food per day (perhaps with no new foods on day 2) challenge helps isolate problem foods quickly.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Aug-13-06 at 09:19.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 06:25

Thanks Deirdra, I am trying blueberries again today and see if they affect me at all. I won't have any tomorrow and see how I do.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 13:10
Dazilous

BF:

Congrats, Shay!

I'm still bloated, it's fluctuating between 33" and 34". My weight, however, is dropping. Woo hoo for that, anyway! But I really want the belly to deflate, much more than I want to lose poundage!

Came here to post something about celiac to Nancy, but i see she started a gluten thread...off I go...
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 14:23
Experimenter

BF:

In BTVC (http://breakingtheviciouscycle.info) the author says that some fruits can cause problems because of things like pectin in the skins. She recommends peeling and cooking fruit until you get your gut healed up.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 14:36

Thanks Nancy I have to look through that website.

Wayward-Congrats on losing! I am losing weight again since I cut out the fruit. My stomach is not bloated either. I did incorporate blueberries again yesterday and today.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 11:23
Dazilous

BF:

Just popping in to report that I am still bloated. I am trying a few days without my usual constant influx of tea to see if that makes any difference. Of course, I have a stagette tomorrow night, and will be drinking wine. I'm going to try to limit it. Didn't have trouble with it at my Dad's.

I just want to get a damn test done. It would be a hell of a lot easier. It's hard to limit like this when you have functions to go to - okay not hard, but undesirable! Boo, wah.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 15:14
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, but you fall off the wagon on a regular basis too.

I found that thinking of wheat as poison works pretty well. I imagine myself with a few more autoimmune diseases, Alzheimer's, heart disease and a colostomy bag. That keeps me pretty faithful.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Aug-18-06 at 15:20.