Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default A little hair encouragement

For the last 5 years my hair has sucked. It used to be thick, then it got tangly, fell out and even on thyroid it was really thin although the bald spots grew in. I added T4 to my armour around January and I finally felt normal again.

I was looking at a hair strand and the root is like 5x thicker then the end. My hair is 2 feet long and I could see the whole progression of my thyroid on that strand of hair. Only the top 2" were really thick. So it seems no matter how much armour I took I had to get the right T4 balance before it affected my hair.

I like to think, even though I can't see it, that every cell in my body is getting healthy again like my hair.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 15:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

That's a great way to look at it. I lost some hair too, early on, and ended up just hacking it off and starting fresh. It wasn't 2 feet long, though! That's quite a sacrifice.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: No white, no way, no how
Stats: 270/227/170 Female 64
BF:UGH/eh/wow
Progress: 43%

That's wonderful news! I have lots of bald spots...some are caused by another condition I have called trichotillamania, and some are caused by the Hashi's. I know that taking Evening Primrose Oil helped my hair immensely, but I then learned that it interfered with the thyroid's absorption of replacement hormone.

Grrr...sometimes you just can't win!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 08:39

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Tea Leaf,

Wow, I'm glad I came in here to read the posts. I had been taking evening primrose oil to help the skin irritations I have developed over my years with the Hashimoto's (psoriasis like spots) because I hate using steroid creams for long periods of time. My mom has been ALL OVER me to start taking it again, but now I read that it interferes with the absorption of my meds? I'm definitely going to have to do some research into what I can and can't take. I already knew about echinacea and ginko, but I'd better do some more reading.

By the way, the most I had to deal with was general thinning of the hair, and since I had so much it wasn't a big deal. BUT, a couple years ago (after the birth of my baby) I lost patches and patches, and the dermatologist said it was possibly the thyroid, but more likely it was more likely a combination of sress-induced baldness (alopoecia areata) and the thyroid. I got all kinds of shots in my scalp for over 6 months and while most of them filled in I have a couple of them that will likely never return. But I guess its better than losing it all!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 23:53

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've been losing hair right along. My hair is down to my butt but it's so thin, it parts all over the place, and when it parts, it looks like bald spots. It's not but it appears that way. *SIGH*

I used to wear two braids that were thicker than the one I wear now. I wear my hair in a loose braid because it tangles so easily now.

I've tried Evening Primrose, and got nothing. It's a good thing to take for the oil but it didn't help my hair, which was already soft and shiny, nor did it help my dry skin patches. But *shrug* some people swear by it.