Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 02:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why eating less can be the key to a long life

New Scientist Magazine
16 May, 2006

THE best thing to eat to extend your lifespan is very little. Why caloric restriction should lengthen life isn't clear, but it now seems that growth hormone could well be a key piece in the puzzle.

Andrzej Bartke and colleagues at Southern Illinois University in Springfield worked with normal mice and mutant mice missing the receptor for growth hormone. Half of each type were allowed to eat at will, and the other half were fed 30 per cent fewer calories than usual. As expected, normal mice on fewer calories lived 20 to 30 per cent longer. Mice without the growth hormone receptor also showed similar increases in longevity on a normal diet.

This suggests that restricting calories has a similar effect on the body to knocking out the growth hormone receptor. Doing both does not make the mice live even longer: the mutant mice on low-calorie diets had similar lifespans to those on the normal diet (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 103, p 7901).

"The actions of growth hormone are somehow implicated in linking caloric restriction to longer life," Bartke says. Insulin may be the connection. Both groups of long-lived mice had a greater sensitivity to insulin, and caloric restriction in the mutant mice failed to increase their strong insulin sensitivity any further.

"Insulin resistance is a risk factor for just about any problem you don't want to get: diabetes, atherosclerosis, cancer. It's sort of intuitive that the opposite situation would be beneficial."

http://www.newscientist.com/article...-long-life.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 06:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Living longer is not a big plus to me.

Then again I am 30, ask me when I'm 70, maybe I'll change my tune!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: only carb before workout
Stats: 185/160/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

If this calorie reduction is done on humans, apparently it has to be started during one's early years. This would lead to learning difficulties, as was shown in previous studies on the longer lived mice. Notice how here they didnt give the starting age of the test animals.. This is a useless old concept being rehashed, maybe as a diversion just in case we discover that DMAE, resveratrol, acetyl l-carnitine, acetyl l-cysteine, glutathione, alpha lipoic acid, chromium picolonate, tribulus terrestris, silymarin, gota kola and myriads of other naturally occurring substances, not only extend our lifespan, but also keep us away from mad mainstream medicine. I now approach 70, fit as fiddle, on extreme low carbs for 30 years, on all the above 'useless' substances, (plus many raw egg yolks, raw milk keffir). The so called New Scientist will never publish this info, lest it upset BIg Pharma, whose advertising of toxic useless drugs keeps the New Scientist afloat.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 10:04
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Insulin seems to be the favorite culprit right now. But without it we'd all be dead. It's not insulin that's the problem, it's too much high-caloric food. Eating more than we are designed to process causes many health problems. I see a people in their 70s and 80s who are lean and healthy. My dad is 73 and can still fit into the uniform he wore in VietNam 40 years ago. I never see an obese 80 year old.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 10:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

There were plenty of obese 80-year-olds in the nursing home with my mother, who was obese, chronically, until she died.

At 60, I have every prospect of living 30 more years. Do I want to die obese in a nursing home? Not if I can do something to prevent it. I don't know what that "something" is, but for now, LC and exercise make me feel better about the future...and, more important, the present.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 10:44

Plan: Personalized
Stats: 190/178/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
Insulin seems to be the favorite culprit right now. But without it we'd all be dead. It's not insulin that's the problem, it's too much high-caloric food. Eating more than we are designed to process causes many health problems. I see a people in their 70s and 80s who are lean and healthy. My dad is 73 and can still fit into the uniform he wore in VietNam 40 years ago. I never see an obese 80 year old.

Great points... It is easy to fall into a trap of exclusive demonization - it sells books, products etc. but is not congruent with the complexity of certain chronic disease. A single biochemical pathway is rarely exclusively respnsible for diseased states. There comes a point where excess calories will take its toll on the body.

Spiking insulin throughout the day will eventually make us fat... But when "guru's" get a hold of such information, they single-mindedly tell us that insulin is the only thing making us fat. Unfortunatley, certain people go to extremes by trying to alter sympathetic catecholamines - using substances to mimic or secrete hormones to counteract insulin. Unfortunately, the excess stimulation of this pathway can actually lead to INCREASED body fat by increasing cortisol, retarding glucose tolerance and decreasing leptin production.(1,2,3,)

In any case, exercise (cardio and resistance training) works wonders from a cellular level on up. Would you rather potentially extend your life by getting meaningful, joyful physical activity in your life - or by living hungry?

1. J. Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Jun; 85:2170-75
2. J. Appl Physiol. 2002 Jun;92:2347-52
3. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2001 Oct;2:357-63
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 12:07

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Insulin seems to be the favorite culprit right now.

Don't be too quick to write off insulin. Let's take it seriously for about 30 years and see if we've made any progress.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 17:37

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just a ditto on the thought of yes there are obese 80 something year olds around. My grandfather was when he died at 82, and my grandmother at 89. Neither even died directly because of their weight. my grandfather was a surgery gone terribly wrong, and my grandmother from lung cancer.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 18:04

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Feel lucky Luke....you seem to be blessed with good genes!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 21:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Low fasting insulin levels have been reported to be the common marker for wellness into advanced age.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 21:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Dave
Living longer is not a big plus to me.

Then again I am 30, ask me when I'm 70, maybe I'll change my tune!

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing at your age.

Actually, I remember thinking I'd like to die at 30 so I don't ever get old and ugly. As if 30 were old...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 19:27
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

So by eating less calories -- they ate less carbs and lowered their insulin levels.

Does anyone else get it?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 19:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
So by eating less calories -- they ate less carbs and lowered their insulin levels.

Does anyone else get it?
I have wondered for a long time about reduced calorie diets and the associated reduced carb levels. Almost no dietary studies measure insulin levels. Weight loss seems to be the magic parameter, but insulin is the metabolic driver.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 19:50

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was at a seminar several years ago on the topic of "living to be 120". The Professor said that the "leaner" you are...the better chace for success. I remember he said one's weight should be 10% under the Insurance Charts...at least!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 19:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The odds of living to 120 are significantly less than the odds of getting struck by lighting or winning the lottery. Lean or fat, don't bet on getting to 120.