Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: leanbodies consulting
Stats: 183/130/130 Female 5'4.5"
BF:lean
Progress: 100%

Hi I am new to your site but not to BFL . I play on another site as well.
I notice there is mention to look thru journal and gym logs , where can those be found?? I would like to see what others are eating while following a low carb wol.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 07:19

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

just click on the appropriate icon below that person's enrty!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 136/146/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

Nat, could you have a look at my post in the 'best of' forum 'scared to eat fat'. You seem to have a pretty good handle on gluconeogenesis. But while I'm here , I'd also like to pick your brains about how important insulin is to amino acid uptake . A couple of the biochem sites I've wandered across have mentioned that basically amino acid uptake is an insulin moderated process . I've been eating about 25g of carbs /day for the last 3 months , adequate protein and heaps of fat of all types and I was gradually losing lbm . Recently (about a week) I've started doing more serious weights , and I'm putting it back on . I can see it . I'm taking 3 gms of creatine /day What you say about cardio makes sense to me . I don't do it at all. Is there any reason to, apart from the one you mentioned about some curious concern about not being fair dinkum . In fact the reading I've been doing on the HGH release mechanism triggered by resistance exertion seems to suggest really short (say three very slow - one minute -reps of a particular exercise) sessions several times a day, every day. So this is what I've been doing. You don't even come close to working a sweat up. I just stop whatever I'm doing in the office or the workshop and swing or press ( l only do passive body weight excercises - handstands , pressups, pullups etc. ) for that three minutes. No sweat , but boy the heartrate goes up. What do you think of this very short , very frequent workout approach to building muscle. I'm not taking glutamine yet, but I probably will . I was a bit concerned about it's gluconeogenetic tendencies. As you've probably guessed, I'm a bit insulin phobic, but as far as I can understand the lower your insulin , the longer you'll live , All OTBEqual. It's that simple. That's why I L.Carb. I know it's working because I feel so much better ,even when I was losing the mass. But I'd rather be a hunk, so the weights are obvious. If the glutamine's not going to do me any insulin harm then I'll seize it's muscle building benefits withour hesitation.

A few of the body building sites I've checked out warn about not re-feeding high carbs a couple of days a week, because you WILL lose LBM . I'm not doing either , so they are wrong , but their reasoning seemed pretty plausible to me . Perhaps you can explain to me how you can do weights effectively with zilch muscle or liver glycogen and very low insulin .Insulin is claimed to be necessary for amimo acid uptake. I mean ,insulin is used as a supplementary anabolic hormone by some of these wackos. The price people will pay to lood good naked. I don't want to pay any price apart from 10 minutes of muscular discomfort every day, but hey, that just makes me feel more alive.
So can I put on muscle , keep it on and seriously low carb for life , without any health risks. What do you think?
Also are there any health risks in the low carb canon in using creatine. e.g. blood sugar , insulin spikes etc.?

cheers,
Stuart
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Wow

Thanks for the information. I had been stalled for a month now. I haven't been exercising rugularly. It really paid to check out this portion of the forums. It is going to save me some future torture.

Thank You Natrushka,
Black57
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Bumping with updates
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

wasn't this a sticky, or am I just nuts?
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 08:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Yes, it was and you might be

The BFL Hot Links! post is now the sticky and it has a link to this post along with a host of others.

Nat
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 15:48
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%

Thanks Nat!
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 22:05

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Did anyone get a BFL personal trainer? i am getting a trainer but i am doing atkins, i want to stay with atkins, but i want him as a trainer because he is good. Do you guys think it would be bad if i continued atkins and just used his training skills and chose not to follow the BFL nutrion plan he outlines.
I do know i would need to increase my carbs for the work outs, and i have been working out 1 hour a day as it is and adjusted the carbs for that. the trainer recommends eating starches and those EAS shakes, and i am not into the shakes becuase i dont like processed food.. well,i want to try and avoid it best i can.
ANy advice. ( i hope this post made sence)
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 15:36

Plan: ummmm....
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:yes/it's/fat
Progress: 0%

hi malishka
boy it's about time someone posted on here again!

i think my advice would be to get a trainer that is willing to work with you, and help you incorporate your own preferences.
i belong to the Y and any trainer there would be able to help me with my program, personalized as it is.
so maybe get a personal trainer, just not a BFL trainer - ?
i didn't know there was such a thing as a BFL trainer!
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 16:25

BF:

hey,
i am having the hardest time getting an appoitment with him so far so i dont really know the details.

the reason i say he is a BFL trainer is because thats the program he puts people on and he enters everyone into the contest, maybe he is just a plain trainer but puts people on bfl because he thinks it works the best?
umm i dunno,
i guess once i actually have my appoitment i can see what happens
but one thing for sure is i am not drinking shakes... especially after i had chem class, the list of ingredients just ewww.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 12:51
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

I've been doing BFL without a trainer for a year and a half now. It is the best workout/eating program that I find works for me....

I did start BFL with a friend to show me the ropes and it was extremely helpful. If you can find a bfl-buddy or work a few time with the trainer to get you into the routine then give it a try.

I do use Whey protien powder but have not once used the EAS shakes - I do not beleive that they are necessary.

Good luck!
Kiks
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 21:34

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%

Malishka31, I believe either of these two trainers could help you, if you are not able to get in touch with the BFL trainer.

San Diego Trainers:

Sarah Lurie
sarah~ironcorelajolla.com
www.ironcorelajolla.com

Michael Castrogiovanni
mcgiovanni~hotmail.com
http://www.giryastrength.com/girya_...ctors.html#mike
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 04:22

BF:

Hey, So i finally met with my trainer, his name is Kirk Something.

Anyhow, all my orignal wants and plans kind of went out the window, and i decided to give him 1 week and just do what he wants. I kind of considered the fact that i paid a lot of money for him and that i need to trust him an just utlize him to the best of my ability.

Anyhow, i was stalled for about 4 weeks, teetertoring on 266. Its been 1 week with him and i am down about 7-9 pounds, (depending on the time of day i weight myself)
I never lost that much in one week, not even during induction.

I am using the shakes and the bars even though i swoke i wouldnt. But apparently eating more often and speeding up ones metabolism isnt a myth.

My calories are under 1000, but i am not hungry. Its mainly so low b/c i cut out added oils and i am eating mainly fish, just b/c i got tired of meat for now.

Anyhow, i am surprised how well its working so far, and that the bars didnt stall me.

I have 10 weeks and 6 days left, then i am going to vegas for 4 days, then when i come back i am going to start again with him for another 12 weeks.

I hope to drop 30 pounds in my 12 weeks which according to the trainer i caneasily accomplish and could even drop way more.

I will say , i am beyond thrilled with him, being around him is very pleasant and he is nothing like most of the trainers in the gym. He is really there with you every step of the way and pushes you to do more when you think you cant.
(sorry, i dont mean to advertise, but he is THAT good)
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 13:08

Plan: ummmm....
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:yes/it's/fat
Progress: 0%

great job malishka!
good luck with your goals for the 1st 12 weeks!!
let us know how things are going!!