Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Diet now
Stats: 450/400/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Surfer,
Those Breakfast meals look great and are gong to come in very handy. I really liked the oatmeal tip. Why make life hard when it can be easy.

You know the more I learn about this -- the more surprised I am.

I came into this thinking I was losing something, but now as I look at this with more of an understanding and sense of openness - its just the opposite.

Instead of eating like a Fast Food Bum --- quick meals, whatever I can get on the plate the fastest. To a new world of eating like a Zone Master Grommet. This looks like I’m actually going to be eating better and more interesting meals; than I am now. I just have to make friends with the phrase “meal planning”

Jeff
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 22:01
Registered Member

BF:

Donna and Surfer,
This might seem a silly question to ask - but it’s important to me. As I find myself a bit confused on which way to go.

You see I like Maple Syrup and plan on using it in recipes.

But, I've noticed you both mention using Sugar-Free Maple Syrup.

Now, here is the odd part. You see, I haven't mentioned this before, but I'm a border line Type II Diabetic. Lucky for me I can control it still with proper eating habits.

When I started all this, I went through my kitchen pantry and threw away or gave away everything I considered bad for me. One of these items was Maple Syrup and replaced it with sugar free maple syrup.

So being excited about the conversion, I did a blood test an hour after using sugar free maple syrup. It came back 75 points higher than when I use regular grade B Maple syrup. not to mention how my body processes these Sugar Free versions of sweets. Because this is public forum, lets just say, when I have anything Sugar Free, I don't dare leave the house and need a clear path the bathroom about an hour later.

Sorry if this topic is a bit off color, but I would really like hear from any experience you have on this.

thanks
J

Last edited by Zone : Thu, May-18-06 at 23:33.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 23:41

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

J,

My DH was taking Glyburide for his T2Db. He is now completely off his meds thanks to eating in a balanced fashion. As far the sugar-free maple syrup goes, your insulin levels may have been affected by a number of factors. Perhaps it was the ingredients themselves. Although sugar-free, if it was malitol based, that could account for your spike. Also, if it was eaten in the absence of adequate protein, that could also account for the spike.

Yup...those SA's sure can cause a lot of "distress" can't they! I am fortunate that I am not as terribly affected, but some people are just way sensitive. One thing I can tell you is that when you eat in balance, i.e. always including a protein and a fat with your carb, your insulin level should not be adversely affected. DH and I are both carb sensitive and so we keep our ratios a bit lower than the 40/30/30, but even so, his insulin levels would go through the roof if he ate carbs by themselves. Now he know to always, ALWAYS eat a bit of protein first and then eat the remainder of his meal.

As long as you can account for the carbs and calories AND keep your meal in balance (using the software), you may be able to add your Grade B maple syrup back into your plan. Although not exactly "favorable" by strict Zone standards, if you can work it in, why not try to find a way to incorporate a small amount of it into your meals?

I am so glad that you got the LifeForm. That software has been a real saving for me! And their database is pretty good. You will undoubetly find items that are not in there. When that happens, go here. This is an excellent site with lots of current food choices. The just enter the food as a New Basic Food. Simple as that. By the way, make sure you use the back-up function built into the program. It is simple and easy to use AND it will save you hours of having to re-enter all your recipes and special food items should your computer crash or you unknowingly erase yourself as a user...don't laugh, I actually did this recently!!!

Starting immediately, you should begin entering all your food choices and the quantities into the software program. The sooner you begin, the quicker you can start realizing results. Also, take some measurements and go here to get a rough idea of what your bodyfat percentage is. Click on the Resources tab and once you arrive at the page, click on the Bodyfat Calculator link on the left side of the page. Register (it's free) and enter in your info. If you're really brave, you might want to get a photo of yourself. I was not that brave, but now wish I had done it. These are just a few motivational tools to keep you on track and honest.

If you don't have a good digital scale (with both grams and ounces) get one. It will be one of the best investments you ever made on this journey. Additionally, you should have at least 2 sets of measuring spoons and cups. That's pretty much it.

Once you receive your books, get cookin'! Easy and simple recipes for getting into the "Zone" with little or no thinking. Read the "little" book first and stick close to the plans outlined there. This should give you an excellent start. Then move onto the second book. Since you will probably be in the weight loss phase for some time, if you can stick to the lower-glycemic fruits and veggies (fat flush), you should begin to see results almost immediately. DO NOT SKIP MEALS!!!!! This is very important to staying in the "Zone." Snacks are really key also, so make sure you plan your meals and snacks ahead of time so that mealtime becomes a pleasant experience and not a stressful one.

As exemplified by Surfer's suggested recipes, you will have lots of choices to make REAL food. And remember, your best chance at long term success will be to stick to REAL food and not fast-food. You will feel better, look better, sleep better, have increased mental alertness...hey, need I go on? You can do this if you want to, but please try to stick to the pre-planned menus at first. That way, you can control your food intake and your eating schedule and see real results WITHOUT feeling hungry or out of control. Once you have mastered these, you can branch out and begin designing your own. The software will make it VERY easy!

So this has been the "Cliff Notes" version of entering the "Zone." I hope to hear all about your successes very soon!!! Let me know if you need more assistance.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 04:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Donna,
I was thinking a Digital scale was on the shopping list. I just did a browse on amazon.

Many choices, many brands, many scale ranges. What have you found to work best and what range will I need. Some go down to 0.1 gram others 1.0 gram. Some even go up to 11 pounds, plastic ... metal .. glass. I've pretty ruled out the pocket versions, they look to light weight (not sturdy).

Thanks
J
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 08:20

J,

Yup...a kitchen scale is an absolute MUST! I've learned that I just can't "trust" my eyes when it comes to portion sizes.

I had a cheapie plastic scale when I first started which wasn't very accurate and I was hesitant to part with the $30 for the lower end Salter brand scale that I did eventually purchase. It is certainly adequate and compact for my rather limited kitchen space. However, now that I have been using it for a while, I feel I should have spent the $20 extra and gotten the higer end model called the Nutritional Scale (now I think it would be more like $30 extra!)

The weighing platform on the better model is set back AND raised, so you can easily see the display. The one I have tends to get covered up by a dinner plate so I have to push the plate almost to the very edge of the platform. Also, mine goes up to 5 lbs. and weighs in ozs. and grams. Now that I have been using it to weigh a variety of foods, I wish I had the one that weighed a bit higher AND that weighed in smaller increments. Mine also has an auto shut off and NO manual shut off. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of weighing something, it'll just shut off by itself which is kind of annoying. I believe the more expensive model has both. One thing that the Nutritional Scale does have that I don't think I would use, is that it also provides you with a reading of the nutritional value of about 1000 foods. I have software for that purpose, so I probably wouldn't use that feature. I think all Salter models come with a 10 year guarantee. I just can't believe how much I use the danged thing! Even got DH to use it for weighing out his snacks!

Does it seem that you are 'pouring' a lot of money into things at this point? Do not despair. You are just covering the basics and soon you will wonder how you ever did without them. The items that we've discussed are the proper tools to do the job. I keep my scale on the kitchen counter and measuring cups and spoons in the cabinet right above where I prep my food.

I keep thinking that someday I won't have to weigh and measure everything I eat, but I've only been at this since September of last year and while I've definitely gotten better, there is no substitute for accuracy which has played a pivotal role in my weight loss.

From what I was reading on other boards, Salter seems to be a fairly popular brand.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 10:37
Registered Member

BF:

Well we have a scale coming. :-)

Once I had an idea of the prices for Kitchen Digital scales I went over to ebay. I think ... I hope I got lucky.

I found a stainless steel (base) model with a lifetime warranty, backlit LCD and splash cover guard. and just won the bid. They hit me on shipping cost a bit, they only do FedEx and require insurance.

I really wanted this one below - it is so COOL

EPS Series - Model N63

check out the specs:

Topline EPS series scale has the same features as most high-quality digital scales + PLUS it will also calculate SEVEN (7) nutritional values based on your food’s weight. Simply push one of the seven buttons to accurately determine your food’s content of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, cholesterols, fibers, sodium, or calories. Makes a wonderful & unique gift! This Topline EPS series also includes a FIVE (5) year NEW SCALE warranty.

cale Specifications:
• Four (4) measuring units - Pounds, Ounces, Kilograms and Grams
- POUNDS - Accuracy 0.1oz (1/10th ounce) x 6lb 9.8oz Capacity
- OUNCES - Accuracy 0.1oz (1/10th ounce) x 105.8oz Capacity
- KILOGRAMS - Accuracy 0.001kg (1/1000th kg) x 3K Capacity
- GRAMS - Accuracy 1g (One gram) x 3000g Capacity
• 999 food codes - based on the USDA’s nutritional values
• Seven (7) programmed nutritional value keys ensure fast & accurate results

• Dual weight capacity - Up to 6lb 9.8oz (105.8oz.) or 3 kg (3000g)
• Overall dimensions - 8"x 8.5"x 2" (26cm x 17.5cm x 5cm)
• Removable Stainless Steel platform dimensions – 7'' (17.8cm) in diameter
• Includes a non-alkaline 9V generic battery (Optional ENERGIZER upgrade)

Special Features:
• Determine your precise intake of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, cholesterols, fiber, sodium, or calories of each weighed portion - FAST & EASY
• Calculate your TOTAL INTAKE of any of the seven (7) nutritional values per meal, per day, etc. by simply recording each of your weighed portions into the scale’s memory (up to 99 inputs)
• Subtract any container’s weight by using the TARE feature and obtain the weight and nutritional value of its contents
• Featuring automatic shut-off and a low battery indicator to ensure proper power for consistent accuracy
• Includes an easy-to-use operations guide and a water resistant food code manual to ensure precise measurements

pretty cool ?

I just couldn't see $65.00 right now for a scale.

So, I took the saved difference of what I wanted verses what I actaully bought and ordered Protein Powder. Going to try two types. One Latose Free and the other from Goat Milk. Regular Moo juice has never really liked me much.

With a little luck everything should arrive here this week; books ,scale and protein. Giving me a chance to play with the software a bit.

thanks again Donna - you're making this a lot eaier than it frist looked.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone
Well we have a scale coming. :-)

pretty cool ?
Yes...that is WAY cool! I'm tellin' ya...you're really gonna love having a scale! And I love that it measures in such tiny increments! Now THAT would definitely be a bonus.

I just couldn't see $65.00 right now for a scale.
Hey...I'm actually with you there. It DOES seem like a lot of money to spend for the something you're only going to use in the kitchen. That is why I only spent $30 on mine.

So, I took the saved difference of what I wanted verses what I actaully bought and ordered Protein Powder. Going to try two types. One Latose Free and the other from Goat Milk. Regular Moo juice has never really liked me much.

Protein Powder...yes! I am lactose intolerant and have to very careful with my choice of powders also. I only use three types: Plain LoCarb Whey by Biochem; Vanilla Whey (a mixture of Designer and Optimum Nutrition brands); and Designer Chocolate. I suppose it is a whole lot easier to find a chocolate flavor that actually tastes good in water or milk, but since I only drink mine in soymilk, I don't think it tastes bad at all. The vanilla, on the other hand, is a much more subjective taste. At first, I really liked the Optimum Nutrition, but it just ate up my stomach (they add lactase enzyme which I CANNOT tolerate!) I tried the Designer (Next) whey and I tolerated it well, but the taste was just so-so. I mixed the two and found that I could easily do it that way. The Plain I use in my baking, especially in my regular flour substitute. It helps to bring up the protein, while reducing 'normal' flour carbs and keeps fairly close to acting just like regular flour for most quick things that I bake. The nutritional profile is much better than regular flour and since I don't do a whole lot of dessert baking, it works for me. This flour replacement does NOT work in LC bread however. I have a separate recipe for that which is excellent.

With a little luck everything should arrive here this week; books ,scale and protein. Giving me a chance to play with the software a bit.
"X-mas as J's house!!!"

thanks again Donna - you're making this a lot eaier than it frist looked.
Oh you are SO welcome! Be very happy that your Dr. pointed you in this direction. Now that you are armed with so many tools, you CAN do this. I do have to warn you, switching gears from Atkins to the "Zone" way of eating can be confusing at first - especially when it comes to snacks. Because you are balancing EACH AND EVERY MEAL, it's not just a matter of grabbing some leftover, cooked steak with a hunk of cheese for a snack anymore. If a snack is what you're craving, you need to determine how much protein you require and then plan the rest of your snack accordingly.

For me, a small snack would be: 2 oz. tart apple with skin, 1 hard-boiled egg white (NO yolk) and 1 oz. 2% cheddar cheese. 118 cals, 12g carb (35%); 9g pro (31%); 4g fat (34%). I've got ALL my macros covered in this mini-meal. This is the kind of snack I would have just before bed since I don't sleep well on either an empty or too full stomach. But during the day, eating every three hours, this snack would not be enough to keep me satisfied, so I would either double the amounts OR select a different snack.

By eating this way, you will be practicing "mindful" -vs- "mindless" eating. You MUST 'think' everytime you sit down to eat. It takes some getting used to, but I think this was the most important thing that I learned. By having to 'think' about the ratios of carbs to protein to fats, I was able to leave the safety of my home and venture out into the real world. At first, I was a bit intimidated, but I soon realized that I possessed all the tools I needed to make informed choices.

Now, I can eat on the run (not really a good idea, but necessary at times), at friends homes or even the (dreaded) buffet! This plan is so easy to customize, you can eat everything in moderation and still stay on plan. Remember there are NO bad foods, only bad portions. And if you overdo it on a meal or snack, you can get right back on track with the next one. Another good tip is that if you are going to error in your macros, try to go heavier on the protein and/or fat instead of the carbs. Because you will be eating in balance, your body can handle and process the protein easier than the carbs.

You may want to visit this website click here. This website has LOTS of great reading on the "Zone." They have a newsletter (Ezine) and the back issues have some recipes. I'm not really fond of a lot of 'typical' "Zone" recipes, but my tastes have been honed over the years and I'm pretty picky about what my food tastes like. Still, this is a great resource for info. Check it out when you have some time.

Glad I could be of some help!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:

I know all about sleep issues.

Wanna try a simple experiment, to see if it helps you sleep better?

Its going to seem very silly and there is a chance that it may not work. But also havng sleep issues I know you're willing to try anything.

Next time you can't sleep, take your shoes and socks off and go stand outside, yep stand outside barefooted, ifd you're in a RVPARK, find grass not gravel ---- for about 15 minutes --- then come back in and go to bed.

let me know if this helps - I have one more, but its going to seem really wierd to you. So we'll wait to see if you need it.

? why no yoke? I like yokes ... especially deviled eggs

Last edited by Zone : Fri, May-19-06 at 13:33.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 13:56

Quote:
I know all about sleep issues.

Wanna try a simple experiment, to see if it helps you sleep better?

Its going to seem very silly and there is a chance that it may not work. But also havng sleep issues I know you're willing to try anything.

Next time you can't sleep, take your shoes and socks off and go stand outside, yep stand outside barefooted, ifd you're in a RVPARK, find grass not gravel ---- for about 15 minutes --- then come back in and go to bed.

Get outta here!!!!

Well...it does sound a bit strange...but I'll let DH know as he is the one with REAL sleep problems!

There are actually 2 reasons for the NO yolk. First; it is high in fat (albeit good fat) but still high in fat and I would rather get my fat through more mono-unsaturated sources. Second; there has been research to suggest that over-consumption of animal fats elevates bad eicosanoid levels. These elevated levels contribute to inflammation as well as a host of other problems that interfere with your body's ability to burn fat rather than store it. When you get your " 40/30/30 Fat Burning Nutrition" book, check out pages 20-29. There is a simplified explanation of eicosanoid endocrinology and how it affects all your body's functions. Dr. Sears managed to make it tremendously boring and complex ; the Daousts' have actually made it understandable in their publication .

Hey...once you begin seeing results and you check back with your Dr., start throwing around words like glucagon and eicosanoids. She'll probably wonder where they came from!!! DH's Dr. said she hadn't heard the word "eicosanoid" since medical school!!!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

LOL, well it wasn’t actually my Doc, I just said that to make it simpler to explain my course. If it was my Doc I would have probably never have looked at the Zone. I have a VD RN friend that has been doing in depth blood analysis for sick people for about 20 years. She also does Microscopy Dry and Wet Cell tests and BIA. Seeing your blood cells live on a monitor for the first time is awesome. Just one quick look and she knows if someone’s been eating correctly and also if the body is absorbing the nutrition. The blood doesn’t lie.

She told me about Dr Sears and from there I started doing my own research. And you’re correct, silly man is so darn smart he’s made the Zone too complex and boring. I think he was trying to make it simpler by using Blocks, but zoom that went right by me.

She has tried to put the sick people she works with on the Zone, but these people are very sick and understating complex issues is not easy for them. They are generally in a deep fog, I know I was one of them. Last year I was so bad off, I didn’t even realize when I had my shoes on the wrong feet. Someone would have to tell me.

She asked me, that once I learned the Zone program if I could help her teach others – of course I said yes. Only thing was…… I got stuck….. even I was having problems with the Zone.

Then one night I found this Forum and wham, bam – out of the dark realms of cyberspace appears this angel with a flashlight. Some refer to her as RVcook others just call her Donna.

If you believe in balancing karma, the kindness you have shown me, is going to help people you probably will never meet. The pay-it-forward on this (did you see the movie?) is going to be huge

Jeff
PS: here is somethig I learned from her too. Did you know that a person can get so sick that they don't have enough energy to sleep. Yep, the body requires a certain amount of energy to enter into REM sleep. Sometimes people get so sick that they don't and can't sleep. Talk about a compouding problem.

Last edited by Zone : Fri, May-19-06 at 16:08.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 16:55
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Jeff , you could make your own sf maple syrup without the junk that makes you run for the bathroom. Let me know if you need a recipe. I have many. As you can see I am not on the Zone diet , but the one I am on has many things in common. There's many recipes in my link , I bet many good for the zone. My sis did the zone diet and loved it.

Check back on ya later

Chari
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 17:04
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Chari,
Yes please, send it on over

thanks
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 17:20

Quote:
LOL, well it wasn’t actually my Doc, I just said that to make it simpler to explain my course. If it was my Doc I would have probably never have looked at the Zone. I have a VD RN friend that has been doing in depth blood analysis for sick people for about 20 years. She also does Microscopy Dry and Wet Cell tests and BIA. Seeing your blood cells live on a monitor for the first time is awesome. Just one quick look and she knows if someone’s been eating correctly and also if the body is absorbing the nutrition. The blood doesn’t lie.

She told me about Dr Sears and from there I started doing my own research. And you’re correct, silly man is so darn smart he’s made the Zone too complex and boring. I think he was trying to make it simpler by using Blocks, but zoom that went right by me.

She has tried to put the sick people she works with on the Zone, but these people are very sick and understating complex issues is not easy for them. They are generally in a deep fog, I know I was one of them. Last year I was so bad off, I didn’t even realize when I had my shoes on the wrong feet. Someone would have to tell me.

She asked me, that once I learned the Zone program if I could help her teach others – of course I said yes. Only thing was…… I got stuck….. even I was having problems with the Zone.

Then one night I found this Forum and wham, bam – out of the dark realms of cyberspace appears this angel with a flashlight. Some refer to her as RVcook others just call her Donna.

If you believe in balancing karma, the kindness you have shown me, is going to help people you probably will never meet. The pay-it-forward on this (did you see the movie?) is going to be huge

Jeff
PS: here is somethig I learned from her too. Did you know that a person can get so sick that they don't have enough energy to sleep. Yep, the body requires a certain amount of energy to enter into REM sleep. Sometimes people get so sick that they don't and can't sleep. Talk about a compouding problem.

Jeff,

Your story is simply fascinating! I applaud your friend's efforts as well as yours. How wonderful that you will have someone to provide you with support and encouragement as you journey on.

I too am a HUGE believer in balancing karma and paying it forward (yes...I did see the movie!) I am very happy to know that all this knowledge will go to good use! I guess we're both working toward the greater good. That is a profound thought.

Your kind words are so appreciated. Perhaps there is something to that saying..."when the student is ready, the master appears..." I sure hope you find resolution to your physical issues with the "Zone." And NO...I did not know that a person could get SO sick that they could not sleep. Thank goodness I have never been that ill. Actually, the last time I had a cold was...1992...I think! I have always tried to nourish myself properly, get exercise and of course, take my supplements. But my sometmes 'misguided' attempts at eating properly did not always result in optimum health and I suffered from overweight (for my size certainly!) and high cholesterol. I have since remedied these issues and am probably in better health now than I have EVER been in my life!!!

This forum is great for support and good ideas. I applaud your efforts to try a new WOE. I know that can be more difficult for men in particular. But I think you have prepared very well and that is a great start. I hope you will post your successes as well as your 'stumbles' so that those of us who "have been there" can jump in and give you a hand up.

We are getting ready to travel soon and I probably won't be on the web as much and I like to after the weekend. Rest assured that I will check the forum with regularity and try to jump in when I can. If I don't post right away, it's because I haven't set up my satellite internet. (The dish is huge!!!!) In the meantime, jump right in and get started. You can do this if you really want to change your life.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 17:23
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Almost Maple Syrup
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Syrup
Serves/Makes: 3 cups | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar (splenda)
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring

Directions:
Pour boiling water over sugar and add maple flavoring. Stir until dissolved. Pour into a pint jar. When cool, refrigerate.
Here ya go , bet you could use agave nectar if you can't use AS. Agave nectar has a low gi, but does have calories.

Most sf maple syrup has sugar alcohols and that's what sends you to the bathroom. I use spring tree sf maple flavored syrup with sugar alcohol and it doesn't affect me that way.
good luck!
Chari

p.s. what other recipes would you be interested in?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 17:34

Chari,

I LOVE Agave nectar and because I don't use syrup all that often, I forgot that you could simply add maple flavoring to agave nectar and have 'faux' maple syrup. What a great idea!!!

By the way, I note that you are involved with the GI diet. I am considering purchasing the Glycemic Load by Rob Thompson (I believe...?) Not necessarily to change my eating style from the Zone, but rather to enhance my glycemic choices. Are you familiar with this work and if so, how does it compare with the GI diet?