Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 16:07

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

I'm afraid I'm that same guy who started the threads about it on paleofood!

But yes, some people have had pretty good experiences with it, others not as dramatic. One woman has been doing very well, after having problems with various versions of paleo.

I remember buying the one copy of the book that was on the shelf in Borders, and I never saw another copy in any bookstore.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 16:37

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 176/150/140 Female 64
BF:size 4 jeans
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo

Hi! I thought that was you... Loved your posts over on the paleo list.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 06:51

Just wanted to post that I began following Anchell yesterday. I did mostly a meat diet for about 2 months and didn't get the energy that most seem to get, and my mood just seemed to get worse. I guess for my body chemistry or something I don't do well at being a carnivore. I wish I could as I enjoyed eating that way and it was simpler.

I am tracking in fitday and my journal and set goals this morning. I started this yesterday and my mood feels great and have lots of energy.

I am having only 1 tablespoon of cream a day in 1 mug of coffee, and I was going to allow myself three eggs per day (probably scrambled with some butter) and see how it works out.

I'm avoiding my allergenic problems foods that affect me, like cheese and wheat.

If anyone else is doing this, let me know, would like to compare results (moods, energy, weight loss, etc).
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleowoman
But NO green/non-starchy veggies are allowed. It has to do PURPORTEDLY because they are pyruvate forming. There were several threads about this diet at paleofood.com For some, it worked like a charm -- for others, not so dramatic results. Some dropped out because they truly missed veggies + variety. Potato and Yam are the ONLY veggies allowed... Great plan for a meat and potatos kind of guy.

What is "pyruvate forming"?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo

But yes, some people have had pretty good experiences with it, others not as dramatic. One woman has been doing very well, after having problems with various versions of paleo.

I remember buying the one copy of the book that was on the shelf in Borders, and I never saw another copy in any bookstore.

Well I am going to go back to Atkins induction for a couple of weeks, but if I don't get any results I may try it. I am definitely a "meat and potatos" kind of person.

ps: Ubizmo--I like your STYLE!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Well I am going to go back to Atkins induction for a couple of weeks, but if I don't get any results I may try it. I am definitely a "meat and potatos" kind of person.

Fluffybear, good luck and I hope you get results!

Let me know if you decide to try Anchell. It's been a journey for myself in trying to find what works for me.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalPool
Fluffybear, good luck and I hope you get results!

Let me know if you decide to try Anchell. It's been a journey for myself in trying to find what works for me.

Thanks!

(no "experts"--just good advice!)
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:22

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
What is "pyruvate forming"?

When glucose is used for energy, it undergoes a number of transformations. At one point it is converted to pyruvate. Back in the 1950s, Pennington (can't remember his first name) noted that overweight patients tended to have higher than normal levels of pyruvate in circulation, and believed that this was interfering with fat utilization. His theory was that something was interfering with glucose utilization, causing pyruvate buildup, which in turn blocked fat burning. So the body, needing energy from somewhere, would ramp up the appetite, resulting in weight gain eventually.

Theoretically all carbs get converted to pyruvate, but Pennington decided somehow (trial and error?) that certain carb foods, in limited amounts, either don't form pyruvate or form less. Those are the "allowed" non-meat foods.

That's more than you really wanted to know, right?

As far as I can tell, the pyruvate theory of obesity is long forgotten. I don't know if it ever had any merit, but that's the basis of the Anchell diet. And it seems to work well for some, especially those who like a spud once in a while.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 07:55
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I think trying the Anchell diet is an all-or-nothing proposition to actually see if it works. In his book, Anchell says:
Quote:
"Just a crumb of any food not listed on the diet - even a sugarcoated medicinal tablet - will convert some of the food you've eaten into fat."
The list of specific carbohydrate foods listed to choose from at each meal, he says, were
Quote:
"selected by Dr. Pennington ... and I have verified them clinically. Whenever other carbohydrates are used - cantaloupe instead of watermelon, for example - weight loss stops or is lessened."

TidalPool: I empathize with you in your quest to find the right plan for the feeling of maximum energy and well-being. I haven't found mine yet. I tried carnivore for a while too. At first, I felt more energetic, slept better, etc., but then that seemed to wear thin and now I'm back to feeling like I need to re-evaluate and re-adjust for about the umpteenth time.

I took the metabolic type test at www.mercola.com, and it says that I'm a "mixed" type rather than a "protein" type. That surprises me. But Mercola's dietary recommendations involve more carbs than I'm comfortable with. Then you have the blood type diet and the Ayurvedic type diet, and the glycemic index and load approach. I think all of these approaches have merit, but I never seem to fit squarely within any category where I can achieve clarity. I'm so confused ...

The thing about Anchell, for me, is that potatoes and rice make my blood sugar spike up, and I feel yucky, hungry, and cravy afterwards. Also, according to food combining guidelines, eating a starch and protein together is a no-no, and fruit should always be eaten alone, on an empty stomach, and at least 30 minutes before other food. Food combining is another thing that makes sense to me.

Having said all this, I know there's a niche for me food-wise, and that I can find it. I have a feeling it's only going to be found when I somehow perfect the art of listening exclusively to my own body, which means narrowing down the channels of looking outside of myself to the so-called experts and authorities for my answers.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, really. Sorry for the ramble ...
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 08:10
Registered Member

"Just a crumb of any food not listed on the diet - even a sugarcoated medicinal tablet - will convert some of the food you've eaten into fat." .......................

But didn't Dr. Atkin's say pretty much the same thing about eating anything not on the list of allowed food during "induction?" He said it would throw you out of ketosis and Anchell says it will turn into fat.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 08:18
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Don't know about Atkins - never read it. But I think a true test of any diet is to adhere to it exactly to prove it out one way or the other.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
I took the metabolic type test at www.mercola.com, and it says that I'm a "mixed" type rather than a "protein" type. That surprises me...

Having said all this, I know there's a niche for me food-wise, and that I can find it. I have a feeling it's only going to be found when I somehow perfect the art of listening exclusively to my own body, which means narrowing down the channels of looking outside of myself to the so-called experts and authorities for my answers...

I took Mercola's test too, and i'm a mixed type. Also, i'm a type B- but not sure if that means anything or not.

I think the hardest thing can be listening to yourself.

I'm tracking in my journal to see how I do, including my moods. Even though it's overcast with rain coming in, i'm feeling better and better.

I'll of course report my findings and how i'm doing in my journal, and here if anyone is interested.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 10:23

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

This IS stunning for those of us who are sticking to plenty of meat, eggs and very low carb green/yellow/red vegetables. I think this would be a winner for a lot of men out there, in particular, but in general it seems to offer enough variety if you can happily live without dairy in any form.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: low carb paleo/nt
Stats: 125/114/108 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default NO cream on anchell , just butter

Quote:
Just wanted to post that I began following Anchell yesterday. I did mostly a meat diet for about 2 months and didn't get the energy that most seem to get, and my mood just seemed to get worse. I guess for my body chemistry or something I don't do well at being a carnivore. I wish I could as I enjoyed eating that way and it was simpler.

I am tracking in fitday and my journal and set goals this morning. I started this yesterday and my mood feels great and have lots of energy.

I am having only 1 tablespoon of cream a day in 1 mug of coffee, and I was going to allow myself three eggs per day (probably scrambled with some butter) and see how it works out.

I'm avoiding my allergenic problems foods that affect me, like cheese and wheat.

If anyone else is doing this, let me know, would like to compare results (moods, energy, weight loss, etc).

I know it sounds weird -- but Cream is specifically a no-no on anchell. You must drink your coffee/tea black. He even addresses it a Q&A at the end of the book where he emphasizes that either you learn to like your coffee black or don't drink it at all. Also, Eggs are only allowed on the "maintenance" part of the diet -- Anchell specifically says that maintenance which allows eggs and cheese (NO cream) will add about 5 pounds over ideal body weight and should not be used for weight loss. Maintenance part of the plan is not necessary - he says one can stay on the weightloss part indefinitely because fat loss will stop at ideal bodyfat level.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 15:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Just wanted to post that I began following Anchell yesterday.

I'll be curious to see how you are doing, TidalPool.
I too am searching for the right path. I have been doing the carnivore thing for 2 months now, I feel good but I have stopped losing, what's up with that! This week, I will eliminate cheese, and see if it helps. I think I may have overindulged there, lol.
Good luck! I'll keep reading, see how you're doing.