Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

UBWO went great! I am slowly increasing the weight for some of the exercises.

Overslept this morning and was too late to do cardio , so I'll have to do it when I get home from work tonight. Having a lot of touble with retaining water -- got TOM for the 1st time in 8 months (darn -- I really thought I was done this time!) -- I've upped the water intake, but I know I'm still retaining (the scale and my clothes say so -- and my jeans were getting loose). I know it will go away in a couple of days, but I just don't feel like myself in the mean time.

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake (no time for regular breakfast -- running late)

cottage cheese

Left over pork chop, cauliflower, broccoli

cottage cheese and raw veggies (broccoli, celery)

spare ribs and sauerkraut (take it easy, it's salty and you're already retaining water!), turnips

CS protein shake
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 12:36

BF:

Great cardio workout yesterday -- I did hit 10! Planned LBWO tonight after work. The hamstring is better -- it's easier to put my socks on (it was too tight to bend the leg very much a few days ago), but it still is just a bit irritated.

Been having odd symptoms the past couple of days. I've been short of breath at times. Not every time, but once in a while I find myself gasping for breath just from going up a flight of stairs. That's why I was so excited about hitting 10 on the treadmill -- I was concerned that I would run out of breath, but it was okay -- I was 'winded' but no more that usual after sprinting. Last night when I went to bed, I felt like my breathing was not quite right when I laid down. There are so many colds going around -- wonder if I'm coming down with one, or could be allergies or asthma (I've never had asthma before, but could be allergy induced)?

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake

Cottage cheese w/4 strawberries

Left over spare ribs, sauerkraut, and turnips

Shrimp w/cocktail sauce; veggies w/dip

Chicken Paprika w/whole wheat noodles; salad; broccoli

CS protein shake
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 12:03

BF:

LBWO went great -- I increased the weight on the One-Leg Calf Raises, the Dumbell Squats, and the Leg Pull. It was a very good workout -- I was pretty shaky afterward. I'm a little more sore today than I have been the past week -- I'll keep taking the Gluatime.

Did wind sprints on treadmill this morning (at 4:30 a.m.!). I did hit a 10 because it took all of my effort to finish the last sprint, but I do notice a big difference between the cardio first thing in the morning and after work. If I do cardio later in the day, I can go faster than when it's first thing in the morning.

Had go into work early because I have a commitment after work today and cannot stay later than 5:00, and I need to leave for a while this afternoon. My brother gets his test results from the genetic testing for Huntington's Disease, and I'm meeting him at the clinic so I can be there for him (I am about 99% certain that the test will be positive -- he's been showing some symptoms for the past year).

Menu for today:

Mypolex shake

Cottage cheese w/fruit (berries, melon)

Chicken breast, broccoli

Shrimp (boiled), veggies and dip (broccoli, carrots, celery)

Salad, hamburger

Protein shake
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:34

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by pegm

Did wind sprints on treadmill this morning (at 4:30 a.m)

Good for you!!! I do cardio around 5:45 and that PLENTY early for me!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:23

BF:

Busy weekend, so updating from Friday:

Good UBWO -- increased weight for dumbell rows, pulldowns, and curls -- I definitely hit '10' at least a couple of times! The hardest part is the dumbell rows because I need to add weight plates for them. I also discovered (Duh -- why didn't I think of this sooner?) that the weights I thought I was using are probably not correct! I'm using weight plates that add onto a dumbell 'bar', and if I used 2 - 2-1/2 pound plates I listed it as 5 pounds. But my husband pointed out that the bar also has (quite a bit) of weight and it is 8 pounds instead of 5 when the weight of the bar is taken into account! In that case, I need to revise the weights I thought I have been using.

Saturday -- day off -- did not eat much (what a relief for a change!)

Did wind sprints on the treadmill yesterday a.m.

Today: Planned LBWO -- I'll revise the weights and post the new ones tomorrow.

Menu for today:

Myoplex shake

1/2 cup cottage cheese

Leftover 'kabobs' (sirloin steak, zuchinni, mushrooms -- 3 of each)

Cottage cheese and veggies (broccolie, carrots, celery)

Lasagna (made with zuchinni for 'noodles', Italian sausage, tomato puree, Ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozarella cheeses, seasonings)

CS protein shake
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:02

BF:

Been very bad about keeping up with log -- working way too much overtime the past couple of weeks. LBWO was fine. I'll need to change my routine now that I have 4 weeks in.

I'll be planning new workouts and posting soon.

Update of inches lost at 4 weeks:

1/4 inches from each upper arm
1/2 inch from bust
1 inch from chest
1 inch from waist
1 inch from hips
2 inches from each thigh
none from calves

Total: 8-1/2 inches lost in 4 weeks!!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:04

BF:

Thanks to Nat's links, I have a new UBWO plan for the next 4 weeks:

Chest:
Incline DB Press: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 15, 12 x 10
Pullover: 12 x 10

Shoulders:
Arnold Press: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 17.5, 12 x 10
Front Raises: 12 x 10

Back:
Lying Row: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 x 15, 12 x 10
Reverse Pulldown: 12 x 40

Triceps:
Extensions: 12 x 3, 10 x 5, 8 x 8, 6 x 10, 12 x 8
Kickback: 12 x 8

Biceps:
Hammer Curls: 12 x 5, 10 x 8, 8 x 10, 6 6 12.5, 12 x 10
Concentration Curls: 12 x 10

These are beginning weights -- I'll adjust as needed after 1st workout later today.

Menu so far:
Mock Danish
2 slices bacon

cottage cheese; 3 mini carrots

Myoplex shake

Planned for remainder of day:

cottage cheese; 3 strawberries

Home made chicken noodle soup (made with home made protein noodles); salad

protein shake
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:31

BF:

Just finished new routine -- definitely need to revise the weights -- only hit '10' for Shoulders and Biceps. Revised weights next time will be:

Chest: 8-10-12.5-15-12.5
Back: 10-12.5-15-20-12.5 for rows and 50 for pulldown
Triceps: 5-8-10-12.5-10

Found Concentration Curls very good for biceps -- I could really feel the muscle working.

The Lying Row did not seem to work very well -- I might go back and revise the back exercises -- try to find something else. Boy, will I be glad when my gym finally opens -- I think access to new equipment will really help. I am having trouble revising the LBWO -- without more equipment I am really limited!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:30

BF:

First LBWO with new routine went well.

Quads:
Step ups (used step stool -- worked find most of the time, but once I hit my shin HARD! Be more carefull):
12 x 5, 10 x 10, 8 x 12.5, 6 x 15, 12 x 12.5
Squats: 12 x 25

Hamstrings:
Leg extension: 12 x 40, 10 x 50, 8 x 60, 6 x 70, 12 x60
Rear Lunge: 12 x 25

Calves: (this is the only one I could not find alternate exercise)
Angled Calf Raise: 12 x 5, 10 x 10, 8 x 12.5, 6 x 15, 12 x 12.5
One-Leg Calf Raise: 12 x 12.5

Abs:
Crunches: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12
Side Raises: 12 each side x 15 pounds

Need to increase weight for leg extensions, side raises, and calf raises. I need to get more individual weights -- need a 15 pound and a 20 pound set.

Menu today:

Mock Danish

1/4 c. cottage cheese; 3 strawberries

Left-over pork chop, cauliflower with cheese, green beans

Myoplex shake

Stir fry with chicken & stir fry veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, bean sprouts)

CS protein shake
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The Lying Row did not seem to work very well -- I might go back and revise the back exercises -- try to find something else.

Peg, I was never a big fan of this one either - try the bent over row (with a barbell works best if you have one) I noticed this right away.

Aren't those tricep kickbacks a killer? Oh I love that feeling!

Here's a trick for the calf raises, bend your leg 30-45 degrees - it isolates the calf muscle and works it that much more. Also with the angled calf raises you can change the direction of your toes - point them in to work things differently.

Nat
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:30

BF:

Nat,

Thanks so much for the advice! Yes, I do love the kickbacks!

Will try the Tai-Bo for the first time when I get home from work tonight.

Having a problem this week, though, and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm drinking plenty of water (at least 100 oz. per day), but I'm retaining water. I can tell that my clothes are fitting much tighter the past 2 days -- I couldn't even wear my black jeans today because they were too tight! And I'm not going to the bathroom nearly as much even though I'm drinking the same amout of water or more.

Wondering if I should cut back a bit on the carbs for a couple of days to see if that is the problem -- maybe try 40 - 50 per day? Or is that too low? I believe that my carb count has been accurate and I'm not cheating at all, so I'm not sure why I'm suddenly retaining the water. Haven't eaten a bunch of sodium either (not hot dogs, lunch meats, canned tuna, etc.). Nothing has really changed from the past few weeks.

It's going to be difficult to get the carb count down with Myoplex, because that has 20 carbs in one shake! Maybe I'll just use the Carb Solutions shakes for a while to get the carb count down (they're only 2 or 4 carbs depending on the flavor). Does anyone one else have any ideas or suggestions?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:59

BF:

Muscles need water - you could be in for some growth, Peg. Does there happen to be an Creatine in your new shakes? It can cause bloating.

I would keep up what you're doing and ride it out - there are days I feel like this too. They ususally pass in 24 hours and fat goes with the water when I lose it.

Try using the old shake for a few days and see what happens.

Nat
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:24

BF:

Been so long since I added to this that I can't remember where I left off! Well, I was going to do the TaiBo on Thursday after work, but I woke up very early (4:00 a.m.) and was WIDE awake! I decided to do the workout then instead of after work because I could babysit my six month old grandaughter that evening without having to worry about her getting fussy and then I would miss my workout. Since TaiBo at that hour did not appeal to me, I did the wind sprints on the treadmill instead.

Friday's UBWO went very well. I used the revised weights and did as Nat suggested -- did the dumbell row instead of the lying row, and it was much better. Also got some new weights over the weekend now (now I have 3, 5, 8, 20, 15, and 20 as regular weights, and have the set that I can add plates to for over 20 pounds). Now I won't lose time adding and subtracting weight plates.

Went to the 5:00 Saturday evening church so I could do the TaiBo on Sunday a.m. It seemed to go well, and I think I'll like having that little bit of variety instead of just doing the treadmill 3 x's a week.

Have a small problem with next weekend. We have to go on a church bus trip on Sunday -- go the the 8:30 church service, then the PCCW will serve us breakfast, then the bus leaves for La Crosse -- it's about a 2 hour drive. We will go to a special service there with the Bishop, and I believe there's a reception with food. It's going to be an all day trip -- we won't get home until 7:30 in the evening. My concern is that all of the food we'll be served will be loaded with carbs. I don't really have anyone to ask ahead of time what the 'menu' is, and there probably is not anything I could do about it if it is loaded with carbs. I really can't take 5 meals worth of food along in my purse! If Sunday was my day off it would not be a problem -- I could just pick at the food and eat very small portions and supplement it with beek jerky and nuts if I get hungry. But I've been taking Saturday off instead of Sunday. What I'm wondering is if just next weekend I could switch -- use PP WOE and do the cardio on Saturday, and take Sunday as my day off. I can't really think of any other solution. What do you think? Will that work just this one time?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:45

BF:

LBWO went much better. New weights:

Quads:
Step-ups: 12x16, 10x20, 8x30, 6x40, 12x30
Squats: 12 x 30

Hamstrings:
Leg Extensions: 12x55, 10x60, 8x65, 6x75, 12x65
Rear Lunge: 12x30

Calves:
Angled Calf Raise: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40
One-Leg Calf Raise: 12x20

Abs:
Crunches: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12
Side Bends 12 x 20
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:57

BF:

Quote:
use PP WOE and do the cardio on Saturday, and take Sunday as my day off. I can't really think of any other solution. What do you think? Will that work just this one time?

Peg, this program has to work for you - if it isnt something you can live with then it's no longer fun, right? Switch the days - and enjoy your Sunday

Nat