Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 23:41

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

LC Chicken Cordon Bleu

Chicken Breast
Ranch dressing
Ham (or bacon)
Swiss cheese

Slather a little ranch dressing on the chicken breast, throw ham or bacon on top and swiss on top of that. Put a toothpick or two in to hold it down...Bake in oven 350 for 30 mins or till done! Tastes like chicken cordon bleu..or close enough..lol
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 03:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I love lamb, and thought that I'd share some of my favourite recipes with you.

Spicy Barbecued Leg of Lamb

Leg of lamb, boned and butterflied*
2 sticks of lemon grass
5 cm piece of fresh ginger
5 garlic cloves
Pinch of ground cumin
Juice of a lemon
2 fl oz olive oil

Pre-heat your oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6 and also light the barbecue.
In a food processor, or by hand using a mortar and pestle, grind up the lemon grass, ginger and garlic cloves until they resemble a thick paste. Add the lemon juice, cumin and olive oil, and mix thoroughly. Smear all over the lamb.
Place the lamb in a roasting tray and cover tightly with a double layer of kitchen foil. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes, if you like your meat pink, or longer if you prefer it more cooked.
Take the lamb out of the roasting tray and drop it on the preheated Barbie. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, then allow the lamb to ‘rest’ for 15 minutes before slicing.
This can also be cooked on a griddle if you don't have a barbecue.

* Your butcher will butterfly the lamb if you ask him. However, follow these instructions if you have to do it yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harissa Lamb

1 leg of Lamb
2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
3 tsp Harissa Paste *
2 fl oz / 55 ml olive oil
Juice of ½ a lemon
3 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped

Make several small incisions in the lamb and insert the slivers of garlic. To make the marinade, combine the Harissa paste, olive oil, lemon and mint, mixing thoroughly. Cover the lamb completely with the marinade and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place the lamb in a roasting tin in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C/Gas for 30-35 minutes per lb, plus 25-30 minutes. Remove the lamb from the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.

* If you are unable to find some ready made Harissa paste, then this is a great recipe to follow to make it yourself

Lamb fillets (one per person) can also be used instead of a whole leg. Prepare as above but reduce cooking time to around 40 minutes, or until the fillets are cooked and tender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thai-Style Burgers

1 ½ lbs / 700g minced lamb
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp lemon grass, chopped
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp Thai Fish Sauce
1 tbsp Red Thai Curry Paste

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Shape into 8 rounds.
To cook the burgers, pan fry each side gently for 4-5 minutes. These burgers can also be grilled and are great on the barbecue in the summer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something very simple is to rub some lamb steaks with a peeled garlic clove, and then either grill or cook lightly in a hot frying pan for a couple of minutes each side.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 08:53

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cooking is not something I was blessed with from birth.

To the extent of my contributions for this thread, I offer the following:

Recipe

Frying pan
Butter
Ribeye steak

Er...heat pan with butter until it melts. Place steak on frying pan. Sizzle for several minutes until medium rare. For a more cooked steak, leave on frying pan for an extra minute.

The pic of the chicken wings looked awesome. It'd be awesome to have that for breakfast.

For the summer, I should find a new gf who can cook! Yeah, that's my new summer "to-do" list! *tongue in cheek*
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick

For the summer, I should find a new gf who can cook! Yeah, that's my new summer "to-do" list!

Haha!! I loooooooved to cook for my cooking impaired dh when we were dating, it's so gratifying to have an appreciative eater for your food. Just make sure it's not a pasta and chicken girl!! There are (unfortunately) too many of them out there.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:10

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
Haha!! I loooooooved to cook for my cooking impaired dh when we were dating, it's so gratifying to have an appreciative eater for your food. Just make sure it's not a pasta and chicken girl!! There are (unfortunately) too many of them out there.

You know, believe it or not, I once dated a girl who was a pure Vegan. Dinner was always exciting--a nightly philosophical conflict.

I still remember the look of horror in her lovely blue eyes when I ordered veal. That was priceless (all meant in good fun, by the way).
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
Just make sure it's not a pasta and chicken girl!! There are (unfortunately) too many of them out there.
How do you think I gained too much weight?! Now, I do the cooking!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:54

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
How do you think I gained too much weight?! Now, I do the cooking!

Can you come over to my house and teach my BF a few things?

Good god!

I cook, we get: grillled steaks, marinated chicken thighs, roast duck, garlic shrimp....

He cooks, we get: the sound of a can opener

He knows how. He just feigns a lack of knowledge of all things culinary when he doesn't want to cook.

Last edited by LadyArya : Fri, Apr-14-06 at 11:00. Reason: holy typos batman!
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 10:39

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/235/155 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Heheh...my boyfriend is being trained in the art of cooking.

He LOVES spicy foods, so I've been teaching him curry and spicy stuff. He's gone from being a ketchup-and-mayo-on-white-bread guy to being awesome at omelettes, breakfasts and some key main dishes.

I can really forgive him anything in the kitchen cause he tries so hard and is always willing to learn.

He is, however, petrified of cooking my steaks cause he doesn't want to ruin them!! He doesn't eat red meat at all, but juggling our diets has been really easy.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 213/211.6/185 Male 70"
BF:26%/27%/10%
Progress: 5%
Default Storage

Quote:
Alisa,

It's super easy to render. Just get the fat (usually for free) from the trimmings at your butcher/grocery store and cut into 1" cubes. You can use the oven, or the stove top. Use very low heat (about 200 degrees in the oven) or VERY low heat on the stovetop. If doing on the stove top, don't cover the top of the skillet... you want the moisture to evaporate. After a few hours of marvelous smells coming from the kitchen, you will end up with cracklin's (Bear called them something else I can't remember now) and liquid gold, as I call it. Pour this liquid into glass mason jars and it will form into a jell like substance. Presto... tallow. It is great to use whenever cooking eggs or beef in skillets. Withstands higher cooking than anything else, and your food won't stick. So, go get some of this white stuff they are throwing away by the garbage cans full, and happy rendering.

If you want more detailed instructions/info... check out this thread.

Do you have to keep a lid on the jars? Does it have to be refrigerated once rendered? Basically, what do you do with it once its rendered; how do you store it, etc.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 13:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog
Do you have to keep a lid on the jars? Does it have to be refrigerated once rendered? Basically, what do you do with it once its rendered; how do you store it, etc.
Grog,

The pint size mason jars I pour the "liquid gold" into have metal lids. I seal tightly and freeze some, refrigerate some, and one goes in the cupboard. The stuff in the cupboard is like Crisco in consistency, and you can just spoon some into a pan and heat it back to liquid gold. This stuff will keep in the cupboard for at least a month (far longer than you will need to store there). It will probably keep for several months in your fridge, and several years in your freezer. Believe me, you will use it all up long before it goes bad.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Chicken Curry and Marinated Steak

Deano, thanks for the eggnog recipe! I cannot gag down fried or hardboiled eggs, but I'll eat pretty much anything with eggs as an ingredient and strangely have never minded tossing back a few eggnogs at Xmas. Oh wait, that may have had something to do with the rum... Am looking forward to trying this, as I'm having a little trouble getting the fat percentage up on a daily basis.

Here are my contributions. Both original recipes called for chopped onions, which I omitted in this version.

Chicken Curry

4 lbs skinless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 crushed bay leaf
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Mix above ingredients in a large bowl, cover and store overnight in fridge. Add 1 cup chicken broth and cook over medium heat about 1.5 hours until tender.

Yeah, that's a lot of spices you have to go get, but I've made this several times and it's worth it!

Marinated Steak

3 Tbsps olive oil
3 Tbsps soy sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Score steak on one side. Combine ingredients and pour on both sides of steak. Marinate at least two hours before cooking.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 14:40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikirimi
Yeah, that's a lot of spices you have to go get, but I've made this several times and it's worth it!
Fikirimi, thanks for the recipes! They look wonderful! BTW... I have ALL those spices... and tons more. When I started eating paleo years ago, that was the one thing I stocked my kitchen with... in order to get into making various meat dishes that would not be boring. I have this VERY long line of spices to choose from in my galley kitchen, and I use different combinations of them all the time. Cooking is FUN!
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Cooking is FUN!

No, eating is fun!! Cooking for me is a dreadful and burdensome chore which I loathe, but since my cats refuse to learn, I have no choice.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 15:45
Registered Member

If my cats learned to cook... I'd be eating raw deer meat for dinner every night!
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 18:07
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Cooking is not something I was blessed with from birth.

To the extent of my contributions for this thread, I offer the following:

Recipe

Frying pan
Butter
Ribeye steak

Er...heat pan with butter until it melts. Place steak on frying pan. Sizzle for several minutes until medium rare. For a more cooked steak, leave on frying pan for an extra minute.

Your recipe looks great! A lot like my favorite:

BBQ Grill smokin hot
2lb Porterhouse

Grill, Turn, Grill, Let Rest 10 mins, Eat

ALOHA!