Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
AT HOME its MUCH easier to stick with! But Dean, have you had to go to a family party or dinner at someones house?
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. I went to my brother's place for dinner one night, and his wife and their three grown children were there (some with girlfriends), and EVERYONE (except my brother) was a vegetarian or vegan! But, not to fear. I had already spoken to my brother earlier about this, and he is open to this WOE (wants to try it himself - and he's a doctor!). I ended up taking some bison and venison over there, and my brother and I ate that, while the others ate beans and rice and veggies. It was no big deal. And, at other times I have just made sure to take some cheese and jerky when going to someone's to eat. I then will eat whatever meat they have, but I don't feel that I have not had enough, since I snacked on cheese and jerky before dinner.

Quote:
They offer spaghetti, potatoes, all kinds of salads with junk in them...am i doomed?
Karen,

Just eat before you go there... and tell them you "don't feel well" and "can't keep anything down" or whatever... if it even comes to that. You are only "doomed" as much as you want to be. Use your imagination if you REALLY want to do this!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 10:59.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 10:26

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/235/155 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
YES! that is my BIGGEST CONCERN! i already screwed up when eating at my MIL's! The way people bread meat and add sauces and gravies nowadays, theres NO guarantee that you will find anything at all that you can eat while out somewhere else!! My MIL's dinner consisted of BREADED chicken breasts, cauliflour, corn and salad.....not ONE thing on the menu that is on this carnivorous WOE....but a few things that are on ATKINS INDUCTION! SOOOO....if i was to to follow 100%..i would have had to sit there and drink water and watch everyone eat even though i was hungry! What to do ??

Why not scrape the breading off the chicken and just say that wheat has been causing you problems lately?
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:04

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

i guess i really need to decide whether i really WANT to try this WOE long term, and if so i guess i have to have the guts to turn down veggies and salads when out at parties, cook outs, etc! Let me think more about this!! hmmmm
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
i guess i really need to decide whether i really WANT to try this WOE long term, and if so i guess i have to have the guts to turn down veggies and salads when out at parties, cook outs, etc! Let me think more about this!! hmmmm

Don't worry Karen, you can do it. They'll soon get used to your path. You just have to make a conscious decision everytime you eat.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 163/128/123 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
YES! that is my BIGGEST CONCERN! i already screwed up when eating at my MIL's! The way people bread meat and add sauces and gravies nowadays, theres NO guarantee that you will find anything at all that you can eat while out somewhere else!! My MIL's dinner consisted of BREADED chicken breasts, cauliflour, corn and salad.....not ONE thing on the menu that is on this carnivorous WOE....but a few things that are on ATKINS INDUCTION! SOOOO....if i was to to follow 100%..i would have had to sit there and drink water and watch everyone eat even though i was hungry! What to do ??

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really do have a wheat intolerance so all set there. I won't be tempted by the food because there are no cravings but it will be hard to have only meat and fat on my plate at a formal dinner party. I suppose it would be easier if it was casual because you could roam around and no-one would notice. I guess I just don't want to call attention to myself.

Maybe I should just put some veggies on my plate and not eat them. This is very hard for me to do because I have a frugal streak.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:20

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Good evening,
I have only just started on Meat & Eggs, and feel great. Now I'm reading here that you eat lots of cheese and cream besides the meat and fat. Do the carbs in the cream not halt the progress? or is this when you're on maintenance and lost all you need to lose? And what about the 100 grams of cheese maximum a day?
Just wondering!
I can't explain (except here, but here it's not necessary) how GOOD I feel on this way of eating.
And how simple is it!
I just hope my weightloss will continue.
Willeke
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: no carbs
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 6'
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Paul,
I do know what your saying. In the one sense i do agree that while following Bears advice of eating only the meat, eggs, cheese, cream it's EASY because i dont have to track everything in fitday or journal everything to make sure i am under those "20 carbs" whereas on induction for Atkins i do have to track everything! The reason i find it HARD is only because of acculturation and my mental state. I think too much of how i "miss" nuts, peanut butter, fruit, etc. And then when i am out in public it is doubly hard to follow. I find it HARD to say to a family member "i dont eat vegetables, only meat". Let's face it..ANYONE would think that is eXTREME! I am really torn as to whether i COULD do this type of diet long term! From what Bear said, in order to get keto adapted and STAY keto adapted the occasional "cheat" with a nut or fruit is not acceptable, it will take you out of keto adaption. So it seems like you have to follow this ALL THE WAY for it to work.

So who here is going to try to make this their lifestyle?

I agree but I follow meat/eggs/cheese diet from time to time for a while now long before reading bear story. When I'm really busy I don't want to waste time on being hungry or thinking about food. So protein/fat/ no carb diet is the only solution I found to work. And when I sleep very little it seems that with no carbs I can deal with that easier.
So for me it's not kind of artificial challenge to stay carb free but rather an effective way of eating which suits my lifestyle.
If I eat carbs it takes me 2-3 days to get back to feeling normal on zero carbs so I don't find any problems with that.
But I agree that from social point of view it can be hard.
People on CKD types of diet are back in keto after 2-3 days of massive carb consumption.
If you miss the non-meat food IMO it's better to go like 6 days carb free 1 day 'cheat day' rather then 7 days 'cheat a little'.
Some people can get away with some carbs on a low carb diet some must be strict to feel their best. But it's what this board is about. Finding the diet which works for a specific person.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I'd like to know more about this "keto adaptation" from anyone who has experience. I found what Bear said about it being disrupted pretty discouraging. Not from this WOE, I enjoy it.. and don't miss most things IF I STICK TO IT. But to be honest, I am going to have beer on occasion, I'd even like to have it every weekend once the weight permits... and raw milk, and chocolate. In the summer I'll probably have fruit a few times. I hate to think that this would somehow ruin how good I could potentially feel eating this way long term.

I've done CKD keto diets and am aware how quickly the body can get back into ketosis....I was just wondering if anyone could expand on how the occasional deviation would derail ketoadaptation .....continuously...
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:03

the human body is not a machine, it adapts. I've done Atkins a few times, the first time I simply floated through it, wonderful, no problems whatsoever. The second time it was a lot harder, but I still managed and the third time I never made any real progress. And I am stubborn, if I stick to a diet I stick to a diet, but I couldn't get into ketosis anymore and didn't lose weight.
I still stuck to it mostly (except for the few months that I tried Alan Carr;s diet) because I know that sugar is poison for me, and so is wheat.
Now after a few serious days on meat and eggs (and a little cheese) I am in ketosis and have the wonderful feeling back. I brim with energy, don't need so much sleep, and feel as if I finally found the solution for my stubborn metabolism.
I really hope this is the truth, and I know that by all my trying to eat "normal" after the times I felt so good on Atkins, I have caused my metabolism to get stuck in not wanting to produce ketones anymore.
So, I believe that switching from one to the other is not a good thing, but I'm sure there are people for whom this is no problem, but then they have a different metabolism than I have - ymmv is a true word (your mileage may vary - everybody needs to find their own individual way of eating that keeps them healthy and energetic)
Willeke
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi all! I'm so happy I found you! It was pretty lonely yesterday, with the usual thread closed down.
Meat and fat are my favorite foods, so for me it is pretty easy. I am used to leaving carbs on my plate when I'm eating out, I find it easier than asking the waiter for a special plate, they always make so much fuss about it, being sure I know it won't cost me less, etc; so why bother? I prefer to be discreet about my woe, I don't feel like doing battle every time I'm going out. I don't have Bear's patience!
My big temptation is wine; I was born and raised in Europe, where wine is part of the meal, and I find the meat tastes so much better with a glass of wine.
I have been doing the zero carb woe since Feb 28, and it has been rather easy, it is so close to what I have been eating before anyway. But I plan to figure out if wine is really a problem or not, because it adds so much more excitement to this woe.
Thank you Rob for starting this new thread. It's comforting to be around you all who understand and share this woe.
Good luck to all as we are learning to eat for better health.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

One thing though; my weight loss is very slow, it is so frustrating. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I take dessicated thyroid to help regulate it. Bear has mentioned that it is the extra weight that suppresses the thyroid and that medication is not the solution, weight loss is. Yeah, but hypothyroidism makes weight loss nearly impossible, there is the dilemma! What to do, what to do???
Any suggestion, anyone?
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 13:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willeke
Good evening,
I have only just started on Meat & Eggs, and feel great. Now I'm reading here that you eat lots of cheese and cream besides the meat and fat. Do the carbs in the cream not halt the progress? or is this when you're on maintenance and lost all you need to lose? And what about the 100 grams of cheese maximum a day?
Just wondering!
I can't explain (except here, but here it's not necessary) how GOOD I feel on this way of eating.
And how simple is it!
I just hope my weightloss will continue.
Willeke

i wouldnt say i eat LOTS of cream and cheese. I have about 2-3 TB of cream a day in my coffee and eat 2-4 ozs of cheese a day. (even atkins induction tells you to limit cheese to 4 ozs and cream to 3 TB a day). I am losing weight with no problem using this amount of cream and cheese. I lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks eating the meat eggs cream cheese and butter diet! (even slipped up a little twice).

i know what you mean about feeling good, i dont have the cravings and i have more energy and need less sleep when eating this way!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 13:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
One thing though; my weight loss is very slow, it is so frustrating. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I take dessicated thyroid to help regulate it. Bear has mentioned that it is the extra weight that suppresses the thyroid and that medication is not the solution, weight loss is. Yeah, but hypothyroidism makes weight loss nearly impossible, there is the dilemma! What to do, what to do???
Any suggestion, anyone?

If i were you i would stay on the medication FOR NOW! Once you lose more weight you probably won't NEED it any longer!
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 13:17

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

good morning meatE people.....
well I have been M/E for 2 1/2 weeks and the whole time I have had a pounding headache...I am not prone to headaches so it is a consern...I thought it was from the drop is salt so I increesed that and the dizzyness has gone but not the headache has not... this diet should not cause this, so I was woundering if anyone else has one?...Thank you all, Unity
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 13:30

you will probably have less of a headache when you drink a lot more water - ketosis always gives me a headache at first, so I take a lot more water and that's the only thing that helps.
Hope this helps you, too!
Willeke
Closed Thread