Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/112/110
BF:
Progress: 94%
Location: NYC - Upper-West Side; just moved here from Dallas 9 months ago to get married!

Thanks for posting this - it's so important for Atkins dieters to be aware of what they can & can't do on this way of eating.

Exercise, knowing how to maintain, & eating the right carbs are all essential in having the most success with Atkins.

Hi, everybody! My name is Sheila, & I'm new around here.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloom
Its me back again
Loved your story and your funky photo's

I can sooo relate to all of what you say.
I was saying yes,yes in my head and could feel myself nodding in recognition to your journey.

I am a sugar addict/sugar sensitive and an emotional eater.
I have 'potatoes not prozac' and did that for quite awhile. Its a slow process and I did feel much better and more 'balanced' but I didnt lose much and when eating that much carb even though it is 'brown' and with the protien it was easy to slip and then slide by thinking just a little of this and my body wont notice. I literally lived in a lollie shop for the first yrs of my life and sweets were love. I have had quite my share of drama in my 41 yrs and then my daily battle with food just has it all over me . I have felt like eating myself to death. I love it and I hate it. What I see at these times as my refuge is really one of my worst enemies. It has been like the only way to feel something warm happening inside when I felt so lost and empty.I think you can relate to this from your story
I could rave on now I have started but I dont want you all running for the hills .

Thanks again for all you give

Jenny
You are so right, I just spend the last 9 yrs in an Ice-cream plant, And I had to test everything by mouth,, I love ice-cream, And I was so good at my job. But now I;m retired and trying to get back on track again. I.m happy I lost 10 lbs in a month. But try and keep busy with other things the weight sure starts to fall off.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by SheilaNYC
Hi, everybody! My name is Sheila, & I'm new around here.

Welcome! Congratulations on your success -- tell us more about you when you have a chance.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 21:25

Stats: 190/180/130
BF:
Progress: 17%
Exclamation karen, I need your help!!!

hi karen! you seem do be doing great and you seem to have great advice! I have lost 10 + lbs on atkins since jan 1...I work out 5-7 days a week for an hr-to hr 1/2 each time.. I havn't chjeated on atkins once and I am intending on making it a major life style change. In fact tonigt I had sushi and instead of the rice and sea weed thgey wrapped the fish in thin layers of cucumber!!!
Do you have any suggestions for losing more weight? I have also been using fitday. I love it!!! I eat about 60% fat and 30% protein with 4% carbs...Any suggestions would be great! Do you think the lbs will just eventually come off, or should I try something new? i have switched fm bacon and eggs for B. to an atkins choc shake...lunch is usually cheese and sliced veggies or a chef salad, and dinner is typically chicken and a salad...I drink tons of water(100oz a day)..what else should I do, I really feel like I should be losing more, most of my loss was in the VERY beginning.
Thanks!Girthy
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 00:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi girthy!

In the Newbies Questions forum is a thread called Hot Links that has loads of information.

What you want to acheive is a slow weight loss so "way of life" becomes a reality. Also important are calories which should be 10 - 12 times your current weight.

Karen
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 07:49

Stats: 155/149/118 Female 5 ft 3ish
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Atkins abuse

I must admit, I too have been guilty of Atkins abuse. Thanks for the reminder.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 08:18

Stats: 190/180/130
BF:
Progress: 17%

thanks karen, I will keep you updated. I know I look thinner, I just hate that number!!!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:07

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 182/173.5/140
BF:
Progress: 20%

Its funny -- I just started the "Atkins Way" and have been very successful short term. One thing that keeps me motivated is that I'm hoping once I hit my goal wait that I'll OCCASIONALLY be able to dip into my cheese poofers...

Please don't tell me the only carbs I can look forward to the rest of my days are veggies...
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:30

Stats: 147/134/120
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Great Post

My Mom has been snacking on the Atkins Bars and she still loses weight, but she has an awful time eliminating. Where as my DH really likes the recipes I've found on line so we're eating all of these vegetables and lean meats and I've never felt so great. I have a co-worker that watches her weight by watching her fat grams and she keeps those to under 30 a day and she's just miserable. And here I'm not hungry anymore and I don't really even count the grams of carbs anymore because we eat all of these great things that have between 7-10 grams of carbs. Now that I know what has really high amounts of carbs we just stay away from those foods and eat foods that are low in carbs. I just can't imagine going back to the way we used to eat. So it's really great that Dr. Atkins puts in his book that this is not a crash diet but a WOE.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/122/115
BF:
Progress:

Karen are you on CBC this Tuesday the 26th?? What time/program?
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 12:18
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi starsky!

Sorry, that was about a month ago.

Karen
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 12:23

BF:
Progress:
Talking

Duhhhh!!! Should have looked at the dates of postings!!

I found myself getting into a little sugar over the holidays and gained 4 pounds. I had normally been taking in about 30 carbs a day on maintenance, however I went back to inducement a couple weeks ago and haven't lost a pound and the sticks don't even show a tinge of purple.

I am also finding that I'm now craving sugar more than I was when I started the Atkins diet??

Any thoughts??
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 14:35
Forum Founder

BF:

Hmm, can't say for sure but you may have physically re-addicted yourself to sugar. I would cut out all aritficial sweeteners and hang tight. You don't have very far to go, and it seems that the less weight you have to lose, the longer it takes to start it again, especially if you are really close to your goal weight.

Hang tight!

Karen
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:11

BF:
Progress:

Thaks for the support Karen!! I've just been using Stevia in my morning coffee...don't use it for anything else. I wasn't aware that the artificial sweetners could cause a stall. Thanks again.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:28
Registered Member

Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for that post Karen. As a beginner of Atkins, I am learning so much from all of you to help me stay on track. So far, it has been fairly easy. Im happy to have found the discussion threads so I don't feel so all alone in this. Your stories are inspiring!