Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 22:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The new edition of DANDR addresses Atkins myths and explains it very well, better than I can.

This link is to atkinscenter.com, a link well worth bookmarking!

http://206.67.99.180/faq/search.asp?type=keyword

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 23:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the link Karen. It is a very informative site. I will get the new book tomorrow.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 17:03

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Interesting! He says, "excess protein converts to glucose and can keep fat from becoming primary fuel."

Wish he'd defined "excess" a little better. How much is too much?
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 18:07
Forum Founder

BF:

I think that if you look at his menu suggestions and recipes, you'll find what he thinks is OK for protein consumption.

Karen
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 10:48

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Anyone know..

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Interesting! He says, "excess protein converts to glucose and can keep fat from becoming primary fuel."

Wish he'd defined "excess" a little better. How much is too much?

Anyone know what the min. and max. grams of protein your supposed to have a day? lol..Just wondering so I can check it on Fitday.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/159.6/145
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default abusers!!!

Karen...thanks so much for the information....i just wanted to update the group..this was my first full weekend on the "plan" and i made it!....it really is getting easier to resist those yummy yummy carbs!....10 days on and 6.5 lbs gone!.. ya hoo! we even went out to eat this weekend and i maintained the no carb thing..i will miss them but not what they do to my HIPS>>YIKES

thanks again....
think n thin again

p.s. working toward a new lifestyle of eatting!! anything that is a good thing is worth keeping
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:53

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

Wow! Some good stuff! Thanks for posting that. I've been taking those pills made from shell fish that stop the fat before you digest it. Seems to me, that I would do better without? I just knew I should stay away from any supplements. I really need to act more like the caveman I am emulating with my paleolithic diet! I fell for the hype, methinks! I've been stuck for about a week. I lost two more pounds, then gained it back, even though my keto strips say that I'm in ketosis (moderately-I can never get it higher than that). Could it be because I'm taking those darn shell fish extracts???? I think I need to re-read DADR. Ray Audette doesn't say anything about the amount of fat, does he? I need to re-read that, too. Also, I seem to be holding water...my fingers are swollen. I've stopped using table salt, but it's hanging on...and I'm a male...I don't have a good excuse that I can think of. HELP???
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/159.6/145
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking xray

that is funny...men can hold fluid too....i hate to say it but yahoo!!
just teasing....those pills sound pretty crazy...i have been on atkins plan just a week and lost about 6 lbs! not water either...my rings are same and clothes are loosssserrrrr in the behind area..if you know what i mean....it really works but i have cut about 200g of carbs a day out....keep reading..and i think i would ditch the pills...this is a plan..you can Live with!!
the pills can't be a way of life!

chat later!

think n thin
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Kick in the Butt

Thanks Karen, We all need to be reminded once in a while I no this is a way of life and hopping to make it that . Keep up the good work and words
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 23:19

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Karen, I have been reading such interesting and informative articles written my you about the Atkins WOE.
I just wanted to not only say thanks for all your help that is at hand but to ask why it is that you 'do' protien power? or what plan it is you follow ?
Its just it says 'protien power' by your name and you seem to like Atkins?

I have just started induction today.

I saw in your profile you mentioned your story being posted, can you please tell me where to find it I had a look in sucess stories and a bit of a look in introductions where the amount of posts was overwhelming
Attached Images
File Type: gif smileniceday.gif (1.3 KB, 223 views)
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 02:04
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Bloom!

Protein Power is an actual plan/book written by Drs. Michael and Mary Eades. It was what I started with, and even though I can't really say I'm following any specific plan anymore, PP is close to my heart. It's very similar to Atkins.

It doesn't matter which plan you are following, as long as you read the book, then keep it by you at all times until you have a thorough understanding of it. That means actually reading past the "Induction" or "How to Begin Low Carbing" part of the book.

I've read most of the Atkins books because most people here follow that plan and I want to be able to talk intelligently about it. In fact I've read most of the popular LC plans so I can understand what people are talking about.

This is the link to my story. It really needs to be updated!

And I asked myself, how did I get here?

Karen
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:56
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Karen, thank for sound advice. After reading your post, I am quilty of doing induction for quicker weight loss. I am upping my carb level up to 25 . Thanks for opening my eyes.
Donna
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:50

BF:

Hi Karen ,
Thanks for explaining, I thought as much but wanted to be clear as you are a wonderful sucess and I am wanting to follow suit !!

Im off to read you story now, thanks for the link, I never would of found it there.

Jenny
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:36

BF:

Its me back again
Loved your story and your funky photo's

I can sooo relate to all of what you say.
I was saying yes,yes in my head and could feel myself nodding in recognition to your journey.

I am a sugar addict/sugar sensitive and an emotional eater.
I have 'potatoes not prozac' and did that for quite awhile. Its a slow process and I did feel much better and more 'balanced' but I didnt lose much and when eating that much carb even though it is 'brown' and with the protien it was easy to slip and then slide by thinking just a little of this and my body wont notice. I literally lived in a lollie shop for the first yrs of my life and sweets were love. I have had quite my share of drama in my 41 yrs and then my daily battle with food just has it all over me . I have felt like eating myself to death. I love it and I hate it. What I see at these times as my refuge is really one of my worst enemies. It has been like the only way to feel something warm happening inside when I felt so lost and empty.I think you can relate to this from your story
I could rave on now I have started but I dont want you all running for the hills .

Thanks again for all you give

Jenny
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 15:34
Registered Member

Stats: 210//140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Karen, thanks so much for the info on the snack bars. I thought that I had everything down right. No more snack bars for me.