Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 13:17
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Doing it Again and Plantar Fascitus

Did atkins faithfully for several months in 2004 and lost almost 40 pounds. Was in accident..several surgeries and almost 2 years later have regained plus 10. Tried atkins again last spring and only lost 3 pounds in 5 weeks doing exactly what i did the first time.
Anyway, I know we are supposed to choose a plan and stick to it but right now I am eating 50 total carbs a day (started 4/1/06) and feel great. I'll see how the weight loss goes and if i need to choose a stricter plan I'll do it. Its great to be off the sugar/carbs again. I have had severe plantar fascitus in both feet since last July and couldn't walk 5 minutes w/o pain the rest of the day. Yesterday before my weight training class I walked 12 minutes and was okay the rest of the night.
I had been reading posts about P.F. and one person mentioned that eating sugar seemed to make the problem worse. AMEN! I have faith I'll be able to do aerobic exercise again in my life!!!! Sugar is really bad for every body system! Anyway its good to finally have some hope in my life again. I have been severely depressed for almost 2 years. denise in st. louis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:34

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Denise........funny you should mention "plantar fascitus" because I was racking my brains out last night trying to think of that. There is another name for it also, isn't there? Anyway, I had that myself last year until a friend of mine had told me to buy insoles for my shoes. The weight wasn't helping either so it was at that time I decided to start low carbing. I'll tell you, between the insoles and losing 20 lbs., the pain in my foot had actually gone away. I wasn't doing Atkins or anything. Just keeping my carbs down like you are doing. That's what I am doing this time around also as I had gained all the weight I had lost back after falling off the wagon last year. I also notice my feet were starting to bother me again so I figure it's time to get back on the wagon again. Not to mention, I just bought a treadmill from a girl I work with and I really haven't been able to use it yet as my feet have been bothering me.....lol. I figure I'll try to lose a couple more pounds and then I'll start walking on it. I really don't want to aggravate it at this point because the pain isn't really that bad yet.

Anyway, you've come to the right place for inspiration and support. I'm sorry to hear you've been depressed for the past 2 years. I'm sure if I was in an accident and had to have several surgeries, I'd be depressed also. Not to mention the weight gain makes me depressed enough as it is.

Well.....good luck with you new way of eating. We're basically doing the same thing. I am not doing any set plan either. I'm bascially cutting out all the sugars and stuff and I'll take it from there. Feel free to stop by my journal anytime to say "hello". If you haven't started one yet, I suggest you do so. It kind of helps to keep you on track and it lets other people see how you are coming along.

Again, good luck!!

Patty
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/189/150 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Exacly what Patty said!

I also have Plantar Fasciitis. Being a Pharmacist Im on my feet all day. It felt like I was standing on a little rock right in the middle of my foot. It was actually worse when I got off my feet, like at night.

When I started putting Dr. Scholls arch supports in my shoes the problem when completely gone! It actually felt better the very same day! They are relatively cheap and definately worth a try!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:53

BF:

Oh my goodness!! The pain at night when I was trying to go to sleep was almost unbearable!! I'm on my feet all day in work, also, which didn't make it any better.

Patty
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 17:50

BF:

Heel Spurs!! That's what I call them!! OMG......that has been bothering me since last night.......lol.

Patty
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 08:28
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi, lcgrrl...

I've had the P.F. myself, so I FEEL your pain, Girl! Losing weight definitely helped me. I also bought some arch supports which really helped. I was also told by my doctor to keep stretching my legs several times during the day to increase the flexibility in my legs and feet, and to ice the bottoms of my feet for 20 minutes several times a day. (What works really great, is fill a couple of small water bottles with water and freeze them, and then you can sit and roll the frozen bottles under your feet... AHHHHHH!!!! Feels GREAT!)

If you have access to a bicycle, or a stationary bike or exercise machine of some kind like a stationary bike, you might try that for exercise (that will keep the pressure off of your feet). Then you can increase your walking time as you start lose more weight, and when the pain subsides a bit...

By the way, WELCOME to the forum!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 08:42
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Saw your progress photos - you look great!

Thanks for you reply! I will try the ice bottles - I can use those at work. I do foot stretches but I do need to do the leg stretches (cant even touch my toes at this point). I am taking a weight training class three times a week now and now that the weather is better can take my bike out for a spin around the block (to start). Can't believe it took almost two years and 50 pounds to get to this point of actually doing something about it. denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmitch
Hi, lcgrrl...

I've had the P.F. myself, so I FEEL your pain, Girl! Losing weight definitely helped me. I also bought some arch supports which really helped. I was also told by my doctor to keep stretching my legs several times during the day to increase the flexibility in my legs and feet, and to ice the bottoms of my feet for 20 minutes several times a day. (What works really great, is fill a couple of small water bottles with water and freeze them, and then you can sit and roll the frozen bottles under your feet... AHHHHHH!!!! Feels GREAT!)

If you have access to a bicycle, or a stationary bike or exercise machine of some kind like a stationary bike, you might try that for exercise (that will keep the pressure off of your feet). Then you can increase your walking time as you start lose more weight, and when the pain subsides a bit...

By the way, WELCOME to the forum!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 16:14

BF:

Hi Denise........just wanted to say thanx for stopping by my journal. I see you haven't started one yet or else I would reply to you there.......lol.

Patty
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 17:38

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I had to get custom orthotics to stop my feet from hurting. Since then I've been a low-carber and lost 55 pounds. For the last year I have not used the orthotics and my feet feel great.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-06, 09:46
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Patty

Patty,
I am having a hard time maneuvering around this website. It took forever to find your response today!!!
I swore to myself that I didn't want to get in ketosis again, but have been all week - purple strips. Can you believe that on 50 grams of carbs a day! Anyway its been a week today and I have gotten a ton of low carb books fromt the library. Because I have candida problems also I am now reading the low carb coconut diet - which I like but I don't know if I will be able to afford all organic foods. Guess I was waiting to pick a plan until I started journaling, but hey I'm journaling now right? Let me figure out how to start one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
Hi Denise........just wanted to say thanx for stopping by my journal. I see you haven't started one yet or else I would reply to you there.......lol.

Patty
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-06, 10:36

BF:

There is a sticky at the top of this thread that says "How to Start a Journal". You'll find all you need to do there.

See you in your journal!!

Patty
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-06, 23:54
Registered Member

Stats: 336/313/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

My heal spur days began when I popped over 290. Suddenly one morning I got up out of bed and the pain began and never left.

My right foot is worse than the left. I have only one pair of sandals that can get me through the day and as I gained weight the pain got worse.

I can't stand hobbling or waddling, but that's how I walk most of the time. It's sure a way to draw attention to yourself!

Good luck, really all of you with heal and arch pain! I am impressed knowing the success of weight loss can make this pain lessen or go away. Thank you.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 17:09

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 232/195/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default alleviating pain

Hi All,
I have been low carbing for over 3 years ( approximately ) this time around. I actually did the Stillman diet in 1970, after learning about this type of diet from one of his appearances on the Johnny Carson show. In all of my attempts to keep my weight down, I found the most difficulty for me was the fact that I was traveling as a result of my job as an airline pilot. The irregular schedule and the long hours made it very difficult to stick with the low carb lifestyle.
I have been very slowly losing weight and am within 15 pounds of my ideal weight of 180 lb, but I have had to stay below 20 grams of carbohydrate to accomplish this. I also had to use the modified fat fast to get myself losing again, but I am determined to do what I have to to keep my weight down.

What I really wanted to respond to was the issue of pain that some people were talking about. I have had a chronic form of cancer for the last 18 years and although it is in control, it is not in remission. I have been at the maximum level of asa and tylenol for the last 10 years ( 16 pills a day ), and have had to take the heavy duty painkillers from time to time .
I was watching the show by Dr Perricone, who is not a fan of low carb diets, and learned how important omega 3 fish oil is in his diet. I decided to start taking 6000mg of fish oil per day to see if this would help me lose weight. I don't know that it made any difference with the weight loss, but I noticed that I was forgetting to take my pain pills because I wasn't suffering. This is my 5th month of taking omega 3 oil and my fourth month of not taking ANY pain pills. http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
To say that I'm happy with this is an understatement. The research papers I read also state that omega 3 oil can also act as a stronger anti-depressant than Paxil and the rest.
Bob
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 20:34
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

Wow, Bob! That little tidbit about fish oil is HUGE! I've been taking it myself (a requirement of Rosedale) and I've noticed some pain alleviation, too, but just attributed it to the WOE in general.

So sorry to hear that you've been suffering for such a long time! but, very glad that you've found some relief with the Omega 3's...

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Tracy
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 07:03
Registered Member

Stats: 336/313/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Jock,

Thank you for sharing your story. I truly hope you reach your weight goal soon and that your health will improve and you live long and to the fullest.

Thank you for sharing about the fish oil. As long as it's natural, I'll try anything. I've only been taking Ibuprofen myself and it just adds to the constipation if Atkins if the fiber isn't kept up.

I'm going to do some research on the fish oil and the purchase thereof. Since I've tried the "As seen on TV" stuff (that didn't work), I prefer testimonials from people who have had success.

Thanks for taking the time out to share it... truly.

(I just ordered $33.00 worth of Stevia products so that I can get rid of Spenda and Sweet N Low).

All the best,