Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 22:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool Low-carb hot cereal that tastes good ... not for Induction

I experimented with a few ingredients, and came up with a hot cereal that is low carb -- 5g net or effective carbs PLUS 3.3g fiber per serving -- AND it tastes good.

The recipe makes 10 Tbsp dry cereal. Divided into 3 portions will yield a generous bowl of porridge when the water is added.
  • Doreen's Muesli

2 Tbsp "quick" oats (not instant)
    2 Tbsp wheat germ
    2 Tbsp chopped almonds
    2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
    2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • place all but the flax seeds in a dry skillet. Toast lightly over medium heat ... remove when it's just starting to get golden and smells nice and toasty -- it will scorch easily.
  • let it cool; stir in ground flax seeds, then store in a tightly covered container in the fridge. Will keep for a week; longer in freezer.
  • makes 3 servings.
  • to prepare for eating: place 3 rounded Tbsp of dry cereal in bowl -- add a wee pinch of salt if desired. Pour in 1/2 cup boiling water, stir, then place a saucer or some improvised cover over the bowl and let it stand for 3 minutes. You may wish to add a little more water. Add a dot of butter, some vanilla or sprinkle of cinnamon, sweetener of choice, any other flavour of choice. Pour on a little cream and enjoy.
For the recipe - calories: 330, fat: 25g, carbs: 25g / fiber: 10g (15g ECC), protein: 14g

per serving - calories: 110, fat: 8.3g, carbs: 8.3g / fiber: 3.3g (5g ECC), protein: 4.7g

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:31

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up You are wonderful!

Thank you Doreen,
I love the idea of having warm cereal when it's cold. Thank you for taking the time to type it out for us and show all the numbers for it. I will definitely try this and almost have everything for it. By the way...what a beautiful new picture of you!!! Victoria
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 00:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

YES! That will work. I had tried stirring ground flax into oatmeal and I liked it, but this is a much better mix!

You're a genius, Doreen Do you think you could find a packager for this? Why not sell frozen breakfast cereal, wrapped in individual packets that could be left on the counter (overnight? would that be safe?) to thaw. Copyright this so no one else steals it

Last edited by alto : Mon, Dec-31-01 at 01:10.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 08:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face Thankyou, glad you like it.

Hmm, copyrights..... never thought of it before. But now that I do think about it, I HAVE posted quite a few recipes here over the last year that truly are my own invention.

As far as leaving it out overnight ... I know that traditional muesli is often prepared by an overnight soak method, with a little chopped fruit added. Only difference with this is the ground flax ... the essential fatty acids in flax oxidize quickly in heat, air and light.(hours though, not minutes ) .. This is why I recommend you don't toast the ground flax with the rest, and also why it should be stored in the fridge. The toasted grains and nuts alone would be fine to keep at room temp. But it's the flax that provides most of the fiber here. Without it, the cereal would be mostly starch carbs, with only half the fiber grams. In spite of what the "health food" folks like to tell us ... whole grains aren't the big fiber bargains at all. Vegetables are. Hmmm ... maybe I should experiment with some grated veggies in the mix ... not kidding .... some shredded zucchini would be bland, would add fiber, bulk. I'm going to try it!! and keep y'all posted how it turns out. Unsweetened coconut is another possibility, and different nuts ... hazelnuts and pecans would be good

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 15:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/204/140
BF:
Progress: 39%

Have you tried Flax-o-Meal cereals yet? I've opened mine just yesterday and had it for breakfast, and then again for lunch today. In butter pecan,, added butter a touch of cream and a drizzle of Atkins hazlenut syrup,, god it was to die for!

Never did I think I would rave about a LC hot cereal, lol.

Nancy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Nancy and Doreen (ya cooking genius)

I created the FlaxOmeal cereal, so it makes me smile to hear that you love it so much. In my new company we have plans for hot cereal in individual "on the go" type cups.... just add hot water and stir. Any suggestions on flavors? I'm thinking a banana nut, maybe..... or even coconut macadamia??? (yummm :-) I make all my hot cereals at home, of course, but I know some people want the convenience of buying it already mixed. I usually add some pecans and coconut to mine, as well.
Today it will be 100 degrees in South Texas, so no hot cereal for this kid. Have you tried the lean protein bites as a cold cereal??? SOOOOO good.

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee :-)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 10:40

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%
Default suggestions for flax-o-meal flavors

I eat flax-o-meal for breakfast probably 3 times a week. I always put fresh berries in it, with some heavy cream and 1 packet of splenda. The cinnamon spice tastes much better with some nutmeg in it. Banana nut would be nice to try too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, the cinnamon spice has nutmeg in it. but I agree it needs more. My new company is a little bigger on stronger flavors, so you'll definitely taste the spices more. I think a banana nut would be really popular and maybe a pumpkin spice around Holiday times would be cool, too. Feel free to offer any suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Julee
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:39

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Any ideas on how to make this without almonds? I hate almonds and I can't stand the hint of taste of them in anything.
Thanks,
Tori
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:55
Registered Member

BF:

Tori,
Sure. Just use equal parts flax seed meal and wheat bran....add a scoop of protein powder and whatever flavorings you want. (cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, whatever) Add a dash of salt and then add boiling water. Stir til thickened, eat with cream, butter and Splenda.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 06:52

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Cool - thanks. I'm going to try that.
Tori
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/189/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up

I LOVE this cereal. I upped the amount of wheat germ and added less oatmeal to bring down carbs and it was Very tasty-I have eaten it with splenda and cream 3 mornings in a row. It is very tasty and not expensive at all to make-unlike other low carb ready made cereals. I didn't want to trouble with boiling water so I just dumped my 1/2 cup into my bowl, stirred, and nuked it for 2 and 1/2 minutes. I also tried to figure out how to grind my whole flax seeds and ended up using my electric coffee grinder-it worked great! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:29
Registered Member

BF:

You are sure welcome. Just remember there is a difference between wheat bran and wheat germ. Wheat germ is higher in carbs and has a different texture.

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee :-)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 00:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/250/150
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much for the cereal recipe. In Australia, we literally cannot get any of the Keto, etc etc brands. The dollar and the freight is way too high.

So being able to make cereal is ab fab! Can I substitute the wheat bran for example, oat bran or rice bran?

Many thanks
Dale
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 01:29
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Thanks.

The recipe was great. I always appreciate recipes that make me happy with food! Warm breakfast is always yummy for my tummy...