Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 02:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

I have an appointment today with a plastic surgeon to talk about the loose skin I have after losing 112 pounds. Have no idea what he will say, or whether I can expect any improvement short of surgery. Am both excited and anxious.

Every have a blessed day.
Karen
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 05:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi guys-
Scale back at 125. I am going to a convention this weekend, and know the food will be dificult. I am planning on having just eggs and coffee for breakfast, and am willing to go out to get that. Lunch will be the ubiquitous chicken caesar salad. Dinners will be a challange- but I know from experience that I can do it (especially if I don't drink more than one glass of wine) for just a few days. Wish me luck!
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 06:22

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

MeB...thank you for the cold/flu med. suggestion. I was relieved to know there was a substitute. I just wanted to say..I noticed your stats!!! WOW!!! impressive!
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 06:23

BF:

Karen..I'll be praying for your Doctor's visit.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 11:54

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Karen -

Good luck with your doctor visit, and let us all know how it goes! I have been considering consulting with a plastic surgeon too. I would love to hear how your consultation went.

Robin
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 14:37

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBLady
Down to 132. I started Rebounding for the first time today -- I love it, MUCH better than my treadmill. Hubby made a comment that my behind is finally starting to tighten up, which I am thankful for. Love the new size of my butt, but the sag of the extra skin has been a little depressing. Not sure if the exercise is having an effect, or if my skin is starting to snap back a bit.

Concentrating very hard on toning the rest of this damage that being obese did to me.

Wow...I'm really identifying with you on this one! My butt is saggy and baggy- I never knew a butt could look like that! My only "solution" has been to avoid looking at it, so I don't feel bad! However, Rebounding sounds like a MUCH more constructive approach. You'll have to keep us posted on how the toning process goes. Maybe I have been unrealistically pessimistic about fixing up some of my bagginess!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 17:33

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
MeB...thank you for the cold/flu med. suggestion. I was relieved to know there was a substitute. I just wanted to say..I noticed your stats!!! WOW!!! impressive!

Hee, the only reason my stats are impressive is because I was so FAT before, LOLOLOL! Thanks, tho....this is the most weight I have ever lost (the most I ever needed to), but I have to say that it was alot easier than starving on Slim Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
Wow...I'm really identifying with you on this one! My butt is saggy and baggy- I never knew a butt could look like that! My only "solution" has been to avoid looking at it, so I don't feel bad! However, Rebounding sounds like a MUCH more constructive approach. You'll have to keep us posted on how the toning process goes. Maybe I have been unrealistically pessimistic about fixing up some of my bagginess!

I didn't look at mine that often in the buff, so it didn't bother me much as it looks great in a pair of jeans....what bothered me was when hubby made a comment that he almost liked my fat butt better, as at least the pre-LC butt wasn't "mushy". So, to have him notice a difference....there is a difference, LOL.

I've read quite a bit about rebounding, and apparently, it can do wonders for toning things up....I've only just begun, but already notice a difference in energy level, and I can feel my circulation really flowing.

The workout itself isn't that tiring -- it will put you out of breath quicker than walking, of course, but the shock to your legs that areobics tend to do just isn't there, and you can go longer. I'm having fun with it so far :-)
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 07:32

BF:

My butt is saggy and baggy- I never knew a butt could look like that! My only "solution" has been to avoid looking at it

ROFL: my solution too....or dont wear my glasses when I do look!!!
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 09:15

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
My butt is saggy and baggy- I never knew a butt could look like that! My only "solution" has been to avoid looking at it.
ROFL: my solution too....or dont wear my glasses when I do look!!!

Actually, I take it a bit further - if I don't wear my glasses when I'm doing my makeup, I don't see my wrinkles!

Sometimes I think there is a VERY good reason why our near-sight deteriorates with aging - you don't see how your body is sagging/wrinkling!

MeBLady: keep us updated with the rebounding - wonder if that would help with my muscle tone (or lack thereof!) - it seems that exercise isn't doing the trick, but I've been attributing a lot of that to aging......
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 09:33

BF:

BKM..Im laughing really hard over here~!!!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 09:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Yes, Bonnie thanks for the laugh. Lori keep us posted, I am interested in that rebounder. I did see it last weekend featured on QVC. I already have a treadmill and a total gym. I have upped my routine on the treadmill recently so I am hoping I will see mroe results shortly.

Karen let us know what happened at the doctors yesterday.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 23:22

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

Well, I was so excited after talking to the surgeon.

First off, the surgeon says you don't have the surgery until you are within about 10 pounds of your goal. The goal you chose should be one where you don't expect to lose more than ten pounds or gain ten pounds in your lifetime
giving you a 20 pound window for your weight to fluctuate. This is so you don't end up with more saggy skin, or put stretch on the scars after surgery.

However you need to realize that with surgery depending on the amount of loose skin they are dealing with you can lose anywhere from 10-25 pounds with the surgery alone.

The doctor asked me what my goal weight was. I told him that in my entire adult life I have never gotten below 150 pounds, and the two times I got to that weight it only lasted a few weeks before I started to regain the weight.
For this reason I did not know if getting below that was realistic. For my height the doctors scales would shoot for 130.

He told me that with me being 51 years old that the 150 goal was more appropriate.

With my weight being around 168 right now, he said I was only 18 pounds from goal weight, and that with the amount of weight that I would lose on average with the surgery, I was already at a weight that I could schedule the surgery. He said whenever I decided I was ready.

I was really excited to hear this because I was afraid that he would tell me that I needed to lose another 40 or 50 pounds first.

Then he told me that for me to impact my figure with weight loss alone I would have to lose 40+ pounds, and would still be dealing with the loose skin issues. My abdomen is the only area I still have fat. He said this area is very resistant to weight loss, and exercise, and deposits there are determined much by genetics.

He said that before surgery your weight should be stable for about 6 months, meaning you are not gaining back your losses. I told him about my 6 month stall last summer, and how I have lost about ten pounds since the stall broke, however the weight loss is very slow, with me eating like a premaintenance/maintenance person.

Interestingly, when he has patients that need to lose weight, he said her recommends Atkins, and learning your carbohydrate threshold. Talk about endorsement of low carb Eating!

He had me undress to naked, and his female assistant came in and took pictures from all angles. This was truly a humiliating but necessary thing.
Standing fully naked in front of a blue felt screen and have someone snap pictures of your naked saggy body is something you have to experience to understand. Then she took a polaroid of my buttocks. That is the one view none of us truly see.

The doctor came in after I put the gown on, and used to polaroid to describe what would be done to the behind. Then he had me undrape portions of my body at a time while I stood in front of the mirror to show me what would be done. Amazingly when the remove the excess skin from your abdomen it tightens your lateral thighs.

You need to accept the trade off of a visible scar for the loss of saggy skin.
I am not a bikini kind of girl so the scar is something that won't be seen by anyone but my husband.

last we sat down with the financial person who also schedules surgery and went over the bottom line. The surgery on the arms is about $4800. The total body lift, is around $12,500. My husband was expecting a $30,000 bill so it was about half of what he was expecting to hear. He could tell how excited I was about having this done. He told me that he thinks I am beautiful saggy skin and all, but that if it would make me happy it was ok with him.

I told Michael I wanted to do it bad enough to sell all my diamonds to pay for it. Michael said that would not be necessary, we would just sell one of our investments.

So, I went ahead and scheduled the arm surgery for April 28, and plan to do the body lift in July. I am volunteering at girl scout day camp and cub scout day camp in June, and wanted to wait until that is over. The recovery is six weeks. That gives me six weeks to recover from the first surgery before day camp starts.

I was like a little kid all day, basking in the excitement.

So ladies, what do you think?
Karen
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 08:22
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi guys, count me in. Great idea Judy!

name.............2/20..........2/27.........3/6........3/11........3/20........3/27
Corinne..........161............160
Debbie...........127............128
Deborah.........138............141
Eno................125............126
Joy................144............144
Judy...............159.4.........159.4
Karen ............168.5..........169
Kristine...........137........... 137
Leslieam.........141............142
Lori ...............131............133
Robin.............146.8..........147.6
Sharon...........133............131.5
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 08:50

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Karen-

This is totally awesome!

It sounds like you really had a thorough evaluation, got your questions answered, and feel comfortable with the doctor. You're excited, your DH is supportive, you've figured out where the money is coming from and it works in to your schedule! WAY TO GO!!!!

Becki-
Welcome!

Debbie
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 08:52
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

MeB - I was just talking to someone at work this week about that rebounding. So I'm anxious to read your updates, too. It looks like it would be a fun and effective workout!

Karen - Bravo to you! There is someone in my DH's family that, after GB surgery and losing 200 lbs, opted to have the full body lift. Her body after surgery is literally amazing! Now, she had her full body lift, her arms done, and a breast lift and implants. I can honestly tell you that it took tons of inches away from her and made her look SOOOO thin! And she couldn't have been happier with the results. I say - if you have the money to do it and you want it, go for it! It sounds like you have a wonderful doctor (any doctor that supports a LC way of eating is a great in my book! ) and it sounds like you were happy with what he had to say. With your arms - are they doing lipo or removing the skin? Just curious.....

To everyone else - a warm hello! I took a sneak peek at the scale today and, even with TOM, I am down to 140. So I'm feelin' spunky! I have given up my shakes/bars for Lent and I honestly think that has put a spark back into my weight loss.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Closed Thread