Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

This is great, I'm sorry cause I know this isn't a good thing to have but I love reading everyones experiences.

Did you guys think that you were always hypo? I remember in my childhood having symptoms. I also get symptoms from fasting, I can go about 16 hours without food then I get bad heart palpitations.

The thing I hate the very most about hypo is that I get really grouchy and irrational. Driving is the worst because I want everyone to get out of my way. That's what inspired me to try to find ways to treat myself. Its really confusing to me that I eat lowcarb and still get hypo before lc I ate something sugary every few hours so I didn't get hypo symptoms that often. Although constantly craving sugar would be a symptom too.

That's interesting what you said about adrenal function and hypo Woo. How does that work? There is something wrong with my pituitary that caused my hypothyroidism. Could it be the cause of hypoglycemia somehow too?

Last edited by nawchem : Wed, Feb-15-06 at 11:37.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I know hypoglycemia can kill, but its gotta be really bad. I saw a medical show where a guy had a tumour that secreted some sort of hormone that drove his glucose down to as low as 35. It was basically pulling all the sugar out of his system. It almost killed him from that.

Yea I think that is called an insulinoma; fatal hypoglycemia is caused by insulinoma or a diabetic being overmedicated.
I thought "common hypoglycemia" from eating too many carbs or having a mild adrenal insufficiency (from stress or genetics) which is like 99% of most hypoglycemics isn't really fatal.
Quote:
Do you guys still get hypoglycemia even when you aren't eating many carbs?

I get unstable blood sugar on low carb, but, they're not that bad.
Most of the time when I get it now it's comparatively mild, and it's because I ate too many carbs, caffeine, didn't sleep well, or overexercised... things like that. The lower I keep my carbs, and the less I eat, the more stable my blood sugar is.

However, I have to stay above a certain minimum of carbs in order to keep my overall energy up. If I keep carbs too low my blood sugar is solid as a rock, but unfortunately, my energy is always a bit too low.
My theory is in addition to a tendency to hyperinsulinemia and IR, I may have a mild adrenal insufficiency as well. So, even though ketosis eliminates the prospect of unstable sugar, the overall sugar level is too low most of the time, since ketosis puts a lot of demand on my body to make sugar (which it can't do well).

Best for me is low, but not too low carbohydrate (above ketosis is fine), small, frequent meals, and overall lower calories.
Quote:
And doesn't the worst symptoms occur when the blood sugar drops? It isn't really the lowness of the blood sugar but it is the dropping action of it that causes the symptoms? Just curious, I heard that on Dr. Dean Edell.

Hypoglycemia is made up of two parts:
The actual low blood sugar level (relatively asymptomatic, but, after experiencing it enough you can tell signs)
The sympathetic nervous system adaptation to rapidly dropping sugar (these are what the hypoglycemic symptoms are made up of).

Sympathetic nervous system is what makes you shake, sweat, hot & cold sensations, feel extremely emotional and irritated ("on guard"). Most people claim themselves hypoglycemics based on experiencing this; however this is not accurate way to self-diagnose since the relationship is not absolute. Some people experience hypoglycemic "feelings" because of a changing blood sugar level (that never goes into the true hypoglyemic range), or, for reasons totally unrelated to blood sugar (like anxiety).

Also, low sugar isn't the major catalyst for the magnitude of experiencing the sympathetic nervous system response. The symptoms are caused not really by the sugar being low, but primarily by the steepness of the decline; the faster and harder you start to crash the more your "fight or flight" sympathetic nervous system kicks into gear to "save your life".

The absolute low blood sugar has symptoms as well, but they are much more mild. They are mostly on cognitive functioning. This is the reason for the dizziness. When I am really low you become "zombie-like"; your brain stops working, it feels almost like living death. It's like you'll be looking at something and you won't understand it. You'll say something and it will come out wrong. You will try to move a certain way and you'll fumble. You'll write a word and it will look like gibberish. There are mild physical symptoms too, like you'll feel tingling and numbness in extremities are caused by too low sugar. They are hard to spot because, well, how can you be aware that you are not aware? Plus, since hypoglycemia is usually coupled with that adrenaline surge (mentioned previously), which in of itself makes it hard to relax and focus. It's very easy to not notice these subtle signs of low sugar so most people associate "feeling hypoglycemic" with the shaking and sweating.
Quote:
I used to have hypoglycemia, as does everyone in my family, but then I really haven't at least not with the nasty symptoms of shaking, sweating, nervousness, since I've been low carb. Although occasionally I'll feel VERY sleepy when I'm late to have a meal. Having the meal perks me up again. I'm suspecting that is hypoglycemia (maybe just a pinch of it).

Yea that's like me... but even on the carbs I eat now (which according to fit day is 60-80 most days) I can experience hypoglycemic symptoms often. I suspect I could do more to control it better, but, at this level the problem isn't that bad (episodes are always very mild).
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, gotcha. There's "plunging blood sugar" and there is low blood sugar. Maybe a hyperinsulin response leads to that nervous system response. Or a release of adrenaline. I know my nephew had it happen and it triggered a huge panic attack for him. Then I remember a time when my Dad described how he felt like he sort of blacked out once and yet was still walkign and functioning. I bet those were examples of the Plunge and the Hypo.

I used to feel nauseous when I was having a plunge.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 15:39

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I actually drifted to lower carb before I even knew about 'low carb' to keep my blood sugar balanced. I now do pretty well, but I don't get hungry, and frequently I'll forget to eat until I'm shaking and can tell I'm getting irrational. Then I'm all "Oh, I was going to have lunch 4 hours ago...)".

It's interesting how many people do better with small frequent meals. I'm exactly the opposite. It's as though If I don't eat enough at one time, then I stay hungry, and my blood sugar keeps dropping. I do best on 3 solid meals, plus a snack or two.

I have a huge problem with AS. My body hates it worse than real sugar. We hate sugar too. I can use tiny bits of splenda, and a little bit of honey. Both sugar and AS make me completely irrational and ossilate my blood sugar up and down, it sometimes won't balance until I get a nights sleep.

It's been a long time since I've passed out, but mostly that's because I've had friends or roommates or the DH around, and they've all come to notice low blood sugar symptoms. I still carry emergency candy in my purse, plus nuts or seeds.

I think things are better now, but they'd be a lot better if I could learn to eat on a regular schedule. I don't have a 9-5 job, so my life doesn't lend itself well to eating on the clock.

I'm currently experimenting with upping my carbs again to see if a higher carb level will trigger a more normal hunger reaction. All this bottoming out can't be a good idea, although I never get the manic highs and extremely fast drops I used to have, so that's an improvement.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 16:54
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

This is making me think about my sister. I am a type 1 diabetic....have been for 25 years. Iswitched from injections to an insulin pump 10 years ago. I have a sister that lives overseas. She gets shaky and has what she calls, "Sinking Spells." She eats carbs throughout the day and night. She frets about her weight, but keeps telling me that she can't go on low carb because of these "spells." Several years ago I checked her blood sugar--a fasting. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was like 130. I told her then that I thought she should talk with her doctor. She gave me a big song and dance rationalization--like she always does. I'm the "baby" sister, what can I possibly know. Keep in mind that this is the same person who used to give me speeches about how much harder it was for her to lose weight than me. I listened...blah, blah, blah. Finally I said, "Get over yourself. I have a metabolic disease. I have to pump insulin. It ain't easy for me, either."

Anyway, I say all of this because I do worry about her. Is she in a state that is a precurser to diabetes? She just knew she was having thyroid problems and was baffled when tests show normal thyroid function. My dad has developed Type 2. She eats often and feels bad. Her weight distribution is not like mine or my dad's, visceral or however you spell it. She has a smaller waist and the saddle bag things going. But, she is heavier than she has ever been and feels really badly toward herself. She lives in Asia where she is surrounded by very tiny body types.

I doubt she will ever listen to my opinions, but I do try to understand her experience. Reading this thread helps me empathize.
Sara<><
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 18:51

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar
Anyway, I say all of this because I do worry about her. Is she in a state that is a precurser to diabetes? She just knew she was having thyroid problems and was baffled when tests show normal thyroid function. My dad has developed Type 2. She eats often and feels bad. Her weight distribution is not like mine or my dad's, visceral or however you spell it. She has a smaller waist and the saddle bag things going. But, she is heavier than she has ever been and feels really badly toward herself. She lives in Asia where she is surrounded by very tiny body types.

I doubt she will ever listen to my opinions, but I do try to understand her experience. Reading this thread helps me empathize.
Sara<><

My endo did think my Hypoglycemic episodes were a pre-cursor to Diabetes. I was really worried, because my Mom who is 66 years old just got diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. We've been looking into the pump for her too. She's really conscientious about taking her BS and Insulin, but I do worry about some of her Low BS episodes. At first she was really aware of when they started dropping. If her sugar got down to 80, she was shaking and could feel it. I read that the more kow blood sugar episodes you have, the less you are aware of them. And that's what has happened to her lately...she'll get down to 60 or 70 and not feel the symptoms as well. It's pretty scary.

And I have difficulties now getting my Mom to do anything other than the ADA's recommended diet of about 40 carbs a meal. I've tried to get her to try Atkins for Diabetes or Bernstein, but she is afraid to deviate from her Dr's advice.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 19:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

In perusing this thread, I'm wondering if Dr. Lutz's Life Without Bread would be the program to follow. He recommends a maximum of 72 grams of carbs a day. This should allow enough glucose to prevent low blood sugar.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 19:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, gotcha. There's "plunging blood sugar" and there is low blood sugar. Maybe a hyperinsulin response leads to that nervous system response. Or a release of adrenaline.

The hyperinsulinemia precipitates plunging, and, it is the plunge itself that activates the sympathetic nervous system. Our bodies have evolved to see "suddenly dropping sugar" and associate that with hunting animals and running for our lives .
As far as it knows, there is only one time sugar drops abnormally quick, and that's when you're doing something pretty dangerous, and you need a bit of mojo to get you through it.
This is why when our body responds to rapidly dropping sugar it comes along with these annoying and inconvenient "unnecessary extras" that make you feel like you're going to die. This is what your body thinks, so, it makes you FEEL it in a real way to get you to respond to your environment as such.
So, excessive SNS activity happens only when sugar changes fast, and, not necessarily when sugar is absolutely in the hypoglycemic range.

There is another complication to the puzzle. Our bodies don't understand that we can have hyperglycemia. So, the body operates with an assumption that all blood sugar levels will never exceed normal. That's why it responds the same way to suddenly dropping sugar no matter what the level is, and it can't tell the difference between "a sudden drop to normal" and "a sudden drop below normal".
A hyperglycemic diabetic may "feel hypoglycemic" if his sugar drops suddenly, even though he is still absolutely hyperglycemic. Someone who is chronically mildly hypoglycemic may not feel any SNS symptoms at all, if the hypoglycemia is chronic and stable... like me when I eat too low carb or when I am not eating much food.

Ironically I feel hypoglycemic much more often when eating more food, because my sugar is less stable (due to the food-induced changes in insulin & thus sugar level). Although, I would wager that the amount of time I spend being absolutely hypoglycemic is far less than it is when I am under eating... in that state I feel mildly low most of the time but the actual sugar level is solid as a rock.

Quote:
I know my nephew had it happen and it triggered a huge panic attack for him. Then I remember a time when my Dad described how he felt like he sort of blacked out once and yet was still walking and functioning. I bet those were examples of the Plunge and the Hypo.

I agree Nancy, that sounds just like a plunge and a (rather severe) absolute hypo. "There but not there", your brain just doesn't work right.

Although panic attacks can cause hypoglycemic symptoms (the SNS response is the same for both), but sometimes, the plunge can also cause panic attacks.
It's hard to tell which comes first without actually determining a root cause (like, conclusively determining whether anxiety was prevoked, or, determining if sugar ever became relatively hypoglycemic).

Remember, body wants you to feel in danger because it thinks rapidly dropping sugar = dangerous situation is an absolute, solid relationship.
The SNS response to hypo can result in panic attacks, because the body is telling you to be afraid when there's nothing to logically be afraid of. Result? "OH MY GOD THIS ROOM IS OVERWHELMING" type thoughts run through your brain.

The other day I was carrying something very heavy, while walking very fast, plus, I had not eaten much all day. This sudden activity on empty stomach caused my sugar to do a sharp downturn. Suddenly I was overcome with extreme emotionality and wanted to cry, I was right in the street too so this was very inappropriate and irrational. This was before I experienced any other symptoms. I knew it was hypoglycemia because I started getting the cognitive symptoms (I became very dizzy, confused and was afraid I would faint, they were very strong). I was actually really worried I might drop off right in the street.
Once I got to my destination, finally, the other symptoms kicked in - I was shaking uncontrollably, sweating, felt very hot (I am always cold), etc. I started chewing gum frantically to try to help my body fix things, and eventually I was back to normal (although feeling like I had just been in a boxing match, which seems to happen whenever I get a pretty bad hypo like that).

In fact, I have kind of learned to tell that I am getting low based on the sudden emergence of irrational emotional thoughts. I'll be like "Wait... this doesn't make sense I should feel this way. I probably am gonna get whomped with a hypo in like 3 seconds".
Quote:
I used to feel nauseous when I was having a plunge.

Yes, that is another common symptom.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Wed, Feb-15-06 at 21:59. Reason: edited to make more sense :)
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 20:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Ironically I feel hypoglycemic much more often when eating more food, because my sugar is less stable (due to the food-induced changes in insulin & thus sugar level). Although, I would wager that the amount of time I spend being absolutely hypoglycemic is far less than it is when I am under eating... in that state I feel mildly low most of the time but the actual sugar level is solid as a rock.

This might be why CRON works so well. It keeps blood sugar a lot more stable.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 21:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
This is great, I'm sorry cause I know this isn't a good thing to have but I love reading everyones experiences.

Yea...
We really don't talk about hypoglycemia much around here, but it's such a common problem for those of us with this carb tolerance issue.
Quote:
Did you guys think that you were always hypo? I remember in my childhood having symptoms. I also get symptoms from fasting, I can go about 16 hours without food then I get bad heart palpitations.

I did not know what hypo was until starting atkins.
Starting atkins, I was amazed that all these problems I had went away over night (like my acne and pcos symptoms). I was finally not hungry for the first time ever, and miraculously, I could tolerate not being with food for long periods of time. Reading the Atkins website for information, one of the symptoms of carb intolerance was "being really irritable and shaky when food was delayed". Then this provided the segway for me to learn what hypoglycemia was. I realized I had it when I read the symptoms and description of it.

I had my self diagnosis it verified in september by testing at home after 50g glucose challenge. Then my doctor confirmed it by officially diagnosing me as reactive hypoglycemic.

I never understood until then why for me "hunger" was about panic and emotionality and shaking, feeling too weak to function. Even as a kid I remember these episodes. I can remember numerous times crying out of "my hunger" and begging my mom to get me something to eat, in the rare moments when I was islanded from food. I seriously didn't realize that hunger wasn't supposed to feel like that. My family joked at my expense about how "I never knew what it felt like to be hungry and that's why I couldn't tolerate it" (since I was fat ). If only they knew what that felt like.

My hypoglycemia is a big reason I developed a food obsession. I was irrationally hungry all day long, and, I was irrationally afraid "of becoming hungry". So I just kinda ate and ate all the time to try to satiate myself and prevent "hunger".

I can experience hypoglycemia which is like a "dramatic plunge" in the food restricted or fasted state very rarely. It has happened only if its induced by excessive activities that put too much stress on my body's ability to make sugar. Ketosis or fasting, however, does put me in a chronic, stable, mildly hypoglycemic state. Every time I've had my fasting blood sugar taken it has been mildly hypoglycemic. Although, since sticking to LC, my fasting blood sugar continues to improve and recent values measure as low normal.

Quote:
The thing I hate the very most about hypo is that I get really grouchy and irrational. Driving is the worst because I want everyone to get out of my way. That's what inspired me to try to find ways to treat myself.

What I hate most about it is how I always have to be afraid how I will feel after eating something. Even low carb food. I mean normal people don't have to worry about these things. Fear of hypoglycemia is probably what I hate most, more than actually experiencing it. This is a big reason I ate the way I used to. I hate hate hate feeling that way.
Quote:
Its really confusing to me that I eat lowcarb and still get hypo before lc I ate something sugary every few hours so I didn't get hypo symptoms that often. Although constantly craving sugar would be a symptom too.

If you restrict energy (calories) now, you can be expected to experience the actual symptoms of hypoglycemia more often than if you ate unrestricted.

Like, if before you were like me and on a "see food diet", every time you got that first inkling from your body, you probably unthinkingly grabbed a candy or something. It's just natural to eat when you start to get hungry, before you even logically recognize yourself as hungry. But, now that we watch our intake, we are less likely to "listen" when our bodies urge us to grab something. We are DEFINITELY likely to heistiate when our bodies say "gimmie a fruit" like mine always did . So as a result, we experience hypo symptoms more often because we restrict carbs and energy when our bodies want us to eat these things to keep sugar up.

It's a fine line between eating to keep sugar up and eating to mess it up.

Also there is a myth that hypo is ALL about hyperinsulinemia, it's not true. Adrenal insufficiencies are big players too; hyperinsulinemia just makes it worse. More insulin stresses the body's need to make adrenal hormones to maintain homeostasis in blood sugar. If you have, say, addison's disease or mild CAH or some other condition, your body lacks enzymes to make glucocorticoids well. This means your body simply can't make that much sugar and struggles to keep levels up. Eating carbs makes this so much worse for your body, but, eating none at all (fasting/ketosis) isn't a lot better either. The idea is to eat "just enough" carbs to relieve the pressure from your body (non-ketosis). But, don't eat so much that your insulin is so high and your adrenals can't keep up (and then you get the reactive hypos).
Quote:
That's interesting what you said about adrenal function and hypo Woo. How does that work? There is something wrong with my pituitary that caused my hypothyroidism. Could it be the cause of hypoglycemia somehow too?

I can't say for sure since I don't know your particular case, nawchem. But I can say if you tend to be hypoglycemic when fasting too, and not just reactive type, that some kind of adrenal insufficiency might be playing a role there. There are lots of reasons your body's adrenals dont' do what they're supposed to. The pituitary orchestrates things, so, if there's a problem with it it could be affecting other things.

Out of curiosity, do you tend to be hypotensive? Do you have PCOS or PCOS-like symptoms?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 22:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar
This is making me think about my sister. I am a type 1 diabetic....have been for 25 years. Iswitched from injections to an insulin pump 10 years ago. I have a sister that lives overseas. She gets shaky and has what she calls, "Sinking Spells." She eats carbs throughout the day and night. She frets about her weight, but keeps telling me that she can't go on low carb because of these "spells." Several years ago I checked her blood sugar--a fasting. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was like 130. I told her then that I thought she should talk with her doctor. She gave me a big song and dance rationalization--like she always does. I'm the "baby" sister, what can I possibly know. Keep in mind that this is the same person who used to give me speeches about how much harder it was for her to lose weight than me. I listened...blah, blah, blah. Finally I said, "Get over yourself. I have a metabolic disease. I have to pump insulin. It ain't easy for me, either."

Sara<><

Hypoglycemia does precede diabetes often times. Since hypo is a symptom, and the cause is not the same for all cases, not all types of hypoglycemia are indicative of insulin resistance & hyperinsulinemia. Most of the time, though, it is. Crappy diet and inactivity is common. Genetic enzymatic deficiencies & adrenal tumors are rare.

Fasting hyperglycemia is a huge indicator of diabetes. If your sis is getting readings like that in the fasting state she should see a doctor. At the very least she needs to get on a low carb diet asap. Diabetes, once you have it, the damage is permanent. All you can do is advise her. You can't make her take responsibility for herself. I hope she listens to you but if she doesn't, you should know you tried to help.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/149/120 Female 64"
BF:34/26/<24
Progress: 63%
Default My endo doesn't understand me

Dear Itsthewoo:

Thanks for your replies to this thread. I went to the endo a few days ago and she seemed to just look blank when I tried to explain to her my displeasure at surging and falling blood sugars. She kept saying 'all these readings are fine'. I kept trying to tell her that sharply rising or falling 50 pts is extremely unpleasant - even though an absolute reading of 120 or 70 is ok if you get there gradually.
I really hate both the 'ride' up and the 'ride' down. I have been trying to control my surges with lc diet, metformin and Byetta, but I think I also need something else like quick acting insulin for the highs. The lows I will have to just live with - for now.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi All, I'm glad I found this thread! We certainly are different than other low-carbers, we can't just embark into any diet just because it works for others.

Although I was diagnosed in 1984 I'm sure low blood sugar was a problem for me long before. The first time I did Atkins in '94 or '95 I did exceptionally well and had lots of energy, ketosis didn't bother me one bit, maybe my stress levels were lower. The next time I did Atkins in '98 I don't think I felt bad but I didn't lose as fast or as much as the first time. I discontinued the diet because I lost my job and under so much stress I couldn't handle the low-carb diet. I think my next round was in the year 2000 and I lost less than in '98 and soon stalled. A few months later I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. In '01 I did my own version of low-carbs and was losing steadily and looking g-o-o-d but when 9/11 came out the window again. I got back on induction in Dec. but began feeling horrible. Following the advice in the book I took some potassium and soon I felt better. I lost quickly during the first week so I was excited, however, I stalled shortly after and for the next 3 months no matter what I did I couldn't lose so eventually I gave it up, the rest of that year I couldn't lose an ounce to save my life. I think it was not long after that I read 30-40g. of carbs a day is the minimum for people with thyroid problems. I also learned that not getting enough sleep with raise cortisol levels which in turn raise insulin, I'd developed a sleep problem that still lingers so I feel like I'm trying to sky uphill!

Now, even more peculiar is that after my hypothyroidism dx I found in one of the books I read about the subject that hypoglycemia is often a "symptom". Very often thyroid and adrenal problems go together and in my "hypoglycemia bible" (Low Blood Sugar and You by Carlton Fredericks) he mentions adrenal problems as one of its causes. He also mentions that impaired liver function is usually behind unstable blood glucose levels, which I found very interesting because in '00 I became practically chemical intolerant, which is also a sign of liver trouble. Lately I've been taking milk thistle (which I've taken before on the advise of a naturopath) and taurine hoping it will help me "clean" my liver. I think it's beginning to work because I used to have a bad reaction to nasal decongestants and I've been able to take them 2 or 3 times without it. Anyone else had any of these problems?

cowgirl k:

In the case of people who feel miserable on low-carbs adaptation may not always happen. A drop in blood potassium is usually the culprit and supplements can help. Incidentally, low potassium levels can cause a drop of glucose AND impaired potassium and magnesium balance is usually present in adrenal and/or thyroid disorders.

Last edited by Raquel : Wed, Mar-01-06 at 12:17.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 23:34

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

I've always thought of my hypoglycemic condition as a potential rollercoaster. The more sugar/carb in a meal, the higher I go with more potential for a fall. It's basic common sense when what goes up must come down. I like rollercoasters, but not in my bloodstream thank you very much. I tend to feel extreme irritability if I go below 40 carb, even for a long period. I feel my best when I'm hovering under 70 carbs a day. Over that, and it's welcome to Crave City.

It's amazing what a fine line you tread when you want to keep level.

Also, what I have for breakfast will have a deciding factor whether I have a hypoglycemic event during the rest of the day.