Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 13:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sorry, I often hit submit and then go "oh wait...should've added that other thing".

Do you ever change the filter on your fridge? All filters need changing.

I've been using a Brita pitcher and it is doing a wonderful job.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 13:51

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i used to have a brita water filter but it went out with the extra when we moved. i used to use it to make tea and stuff, but i still didn't drink water then. i could invvest in another one, and the family would probably use it. i would use it for awhile and then fall off the water wagon. worth a shot though i suppose, but i do know myself i regards to water as well though lol. oh, and i go back and add all the time lol
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 13:54
Experimenter

BF:

Atta girl! The world is deeply grateful.
As well as this baby possum...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 14:11

BF:

isn't that cute
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/275/170 Female 5'3"
BF:Way too high!
Progress: 13%

I purchase bottled water simply for the convenience. I grab a bottle and go. At home I do drink the filtered water from the fridge. I also keep bottled water around in case of an earthquake or other disaster.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 15:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

At work I drink from the 5 gallon jugs, we pay for it ourselves, $5-7 per month. At home I drink from the tap or a Brita pitcher. When DGKs come I buy gallon jugs. No water wired to my frig.

Some water companies are very lax about water standards. They test but they don't tell. There was a scandal in VA where women were having miscarriages. Come to find out there was something in the water that was tested but not reported for two years until someone independently had the water tested.

Here in DC we had our own water scandal. Again, testing but not telling, the bacteria levels were over 10X standards.

Bottled water is only guaranteed to be filtered if that. You must read labels carefully. Many have pictures of mountains on them or their names contain the word spring but they are just filtered tap water from municipal sources whereever the bottling plant is. Pepsi had a big scandal years ago with paying municipal water rates, filtering the tap water and selling it for $1 per liter. They had a picture of a snow covered mountain on their label. I think they are still selling it. Nestle has a product and is doing the same thing. READ THE LABEL AS TO THE SOURCE OF THE WATER.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 15:56
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

We have our own well, and the water is great tasting but a little muddy/rusty sometimes, so we installed a seperate filtered line for drinking. We get bottled water for road trips but refill the bottles whenever possible from the tap and recycle.

Wyv
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 16:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Our church has a well and even with a filtration system, the water still smells of sulphur. I grew up on well water (got the cavities to prove it, too ) so don't mind water that smells a little off but most people who are used to treated city water won't drink the water.
Our city has also had their water scandals (again, test but don't tell) with bacteria levels being very high and sewage systems overflowing into local rivers whenever there was a heavy rainfall.
I'm not all that gung ho on bottled water, but I can certainly understand why some people would rather have that than trust the local water supply.
Besides..it makes no sense to complain about the plastic used to put water in when an entire beverage industry uses them for carbonated beverages. If it bothers you, start a recycling campaign in your area. We have recycling and I routinely recycle 2 large totes of bottles (those beverage bottles that don't have a deposit on them), cans, cardboard and newspaper every week.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 16:42

BF:

my husband grew up on well water and loves the stuff. to me, a small city girl, the water looks, tastes and smells putrid lol. you can see stuff floating in it
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 16:53
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

In younger days I worked as a whitewater guide on a river in eastern PA. This river flowed through several small towns and no doubt drained pasture upstream of the stretch I guided on. I didn't bother with a water bottle and just drank out of the river and never had a problem, no giardia, no e coli (or maybe I was immune), nothing. I did not drink out of it downstream of Jim Thorpe however... I was young and clueless but not crazy.

Wyv
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 16:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/163/145 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh
i do buy bottled water. i never have been able to stand the taste of water but was able to adapt to the slightly sweet taste of crystal geyser. i don't think it's any better than the tap though, and we use tap water to cook and make coffee, but for some reason, the water that comes from the bathrooms smells like sewer and i cannot put it in my mouth for anything, not even teeth brushing. the smell makes me want to vomit. the smell isn't always there, but often times it is.

I get the same smell occasionally from the tap water in my bathroom. I thought the smell was coming from the drain, but I guess that would be water residue.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 18:49
Experimenter

BF:

The absurdity, IMHO, is that you can get water out of the tap. Most of us have absolutely no need to buy it in bottles, other than the need that has been manufactured for us curtesy of advertising agencies. Other products don't flow out of the facet and do have a little more justification for purchase than bottled water does.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 18:58

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

We have a pur filter on our sink but the water is stil not fit to drink. The state is making our area built a water treatment plant, so hopefully things will improve eventually. In the meantime, I'll stick to bottled water for health reasons!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 19:03

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I drink tap water at home.. as long as it hasnt set for awhile - but I drink bottled water out and about. Or if I go to someone elses house I bring bottled water because I dont like the taste differences. I wont drink every kind of bottled water either, some taste nasty.

I dont really care to feel any kind of a guilt trip over the bottles. I just happen to like water as opposed to soda pop - go make the people that drink soda all day long feel guilty, or the people that drink all that milk... or orange juice.. or... oh wait .. EVERYTHING comes in plastic. Why are you pointing at bottled water? Seems like I should start a thread about my annoyance of this thread.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 19:22
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I drink bottled water. It's the easiest way for me to keep track of how much water I'm drinking.

But....the water comes from the tap, and the bottles are from my partner's nasty Coke/Diet Coke habit.

Roz