Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Dietary Protein = Satiety (and mention of our forum's survey)

From the Weight Of the Evidence blog, by Regina Wilshire
Quote:
While Ms. Squires is quick to dismiss low carbohydrate diets in the mistaken assumption that they eliminate fruits and vegetables, keep in mind the facts - all low carbohydrate diets REQUIRE a minimum intake of fruits and vegetables that exceeds current dietary recommendations for that food group! Odds are good that if you choose a low carbohydrate diet as your weight loss strategy, you'll actually increase the number of fruits and vegetables you eat each day rather than reduce that number!

This was the finding of a recent survey conducted by researchers at SUNY Downstate Medical Center with participants from the Active Low-Carbers Forum as the study group. Of those completing the survey - over 3,000 individuals actively following a carbohydrate restricted diet - only 4.77% increased fat intake, another 10.23% reported increasing protein and 11.99% reported eating vegetables was an important part of their low-carb approach.

In fact, when getting into specifics, 80.34% reported ...

Read the full article here:

http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot...in-satiety.html

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 19:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for the article. Now that I've made up my mind about low-carb (with three years of personal experience on Atkins for evidence), I pretty much discount all new research from people whose minds are made up the other way.

As I've gone along, I've certainly revised my diet in dramatic ways. Funny thing though--Atkins's version of low-carb has almost seduced me into fundamental changes that any nutritionist could recommend: no processed foods, no sugar, no white flour. My 1500-1800 calories may typically include 55-60% fat, but everything I put in my mouth has nutritional value.

Best of all, I've found a plan I can sustain as I never could on low-fat. Happy body for me.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 09:13

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Thanks for the article. Now that I've made up my mind about low-carb (with three years of personal experience on Atkins for evidence), I pretty much discount all new research from people whose minds are made up the other way.

As I've gone along, I've certainly revised my diet in dramatic ways. Funny thing though--Atkins's version of low-carb has almost seduced me into fundamental changes that any nutritionist could recommend: no processed foods, no sugar, no white flour. My 1500-1800 calories may typically include 55-60% fat, but everything I put in my mouth has nutritional value.

Best of all, I've found a plan I can sustain as I never could on low-fat. Happy body for me.

I agree with everything you said, except that unfortunately I think you'd have a hard time finding a nutritionist that would go along with 60% fat.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:24

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Of course, you're right, JL. Nutritionists are all fat phobic.

I started out once to demonstrate that my daily menu actually has LESS fat in grams than the "normal" American menu, including burgers, fries, shakes, and snacks. It was a lot of trouble to get everything plugged into Fitday, and as it turned out, the gram counts in my sample comparative menus came out about the same. In short, I didn't really prove my point on that one go-round, so I abandoned the project.

It's possible that eliminating sugar, starchy vegetables, white flour, and virtually anything processed automatically improves nutrition. The balance of fat, protein, and healthy carbs is a matter of individual experiment.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 17:55

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Surely the 'rule of thumb' is don't eat more carbs than can be burned-off by the body each day. How does one know this amount? Simply by weight-watching. If the scales move to the right then probably the intake of carbs is too high whereas if the scales move slowly to the left then the amount consumed is about right. It does not matter what type of carbs are eaten but nutritent-dense ones are those recommended but, do be careful of their downside as some green veg is suspected of being goitrogenic.