Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

I had avoided posting my own contributions, but yes...Dads are the worst. Ironically I was never overweight as a child or teenager. In fact I graduated HS at 110 lbs., but that never stopped the remarks. I was bullied tremendously in elementary school and one of the many remarks was in reference to me being a fat pig. I think for girls it's the ultimate insult whether true or otherwise. My dad made public comments about me being "chunky" as well as unambitious and other needling comments and my Mom though she was concercerned I guess always thought I had an "upcoming weight problem". Later on, I got the "congratulations on being pregnant comment...when I wasn't", but I think she ended up more uncomfortable than I was

After HS I went on the pill, then antidepressants, then kids and finally at my heaviest of 188 lbs.I can hardly bear to look at pictures of myself at that weight. The hardest part is that now I have two beautiful little girls. One is very tiny and the other is average size and not overweight at all, but my dad has made comments about her being first in the buffet line, or to her being a sumo wrestler (she's six BTW). He calls my SO "beluga" and thinks it is affectionate. I have told him to stop, but he's an endless fountain of pain. It just comes out and I don't think he even realizes he kills a little peice of your self esteem every time he makes those comments. I just can't beleive how many have been affected by this.

Hugs to all
Leanna
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:51

Plan: whole foods/low carbd
Stats: 240/220/159 Female 67
BF:35.1
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
Being called fat by my brother as children bothered me then. But, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as a recent comment by a co-worker. Despite eating right and vigorous exercise, I lose weight very slowly and stall a lot. One day when everyone was standing around on break eating donuts, and I pulled out my broccoli with dip for a snack instead because I never eat that type of junk, he said "She probably eats 6 of them (donuts) when no one is looking."

he needs a nose job, after someone breaks it!! jeezzz is this guy married?? poor woman
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If someone made an insulting comment to one of my kids, they'd better learn to duck, no matter if they're family or not. I sometimes resent my Mom allowing her friends to insult me when I was young, and I'm not going to stand by and let it happen to one of mine.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne
I've always been a kind person, and any person that can cut down another person has no love in their heart.[/B].

Quoted for truth!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:32

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Back in high school... Cow legs... really original But to a teenager, it was devastating.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:57

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I wanted to add a funny story about when I was in college. I was dating this one guy who I believed was only dating me because I was thin, well you've heard about how freshmen tend to gain weight that frist year of college well there was a Subway next to the college I was attending & I used to go their everyday for lunch well I gain some weight & he mentions wow you sure are packing on the pounds so at frist I felt hurt by it. And then I decided to lose the weight & lost the weight that I gained. Well then I decided to break up with him after the weight was gone. When he asked why I just told him because he was immature & he'd eventlly break up with me any ways when I started to show signs of aging or gained even more weight. BTW his step mom wasn't that much older then we were plus she was thin so I seen it in his father so I figured he'd probably do the same.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:23

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
he said "She probably eats 6 of them (donuts) when no one is looking."

oh my GOD, tell me everyone glared at him with contempt. What did you do? I would have needed a tranq dart, I dont think I could have handled that without at least slapping his face. Hed be WEARING the dip. In his shorts.

Or, (god willing)If I could have contained my violent ire, I would have responded, smiling with "thats ok, soon Ill be skinny and youll still be a pathetic immature A$$HOLE!. have another donut. " You BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can say it like youre teasing, they cant actually get mad, RIGHT??
Then i would run to the bathroom, and throw up and cry all my makeup off. GOD I have SUCH RICH fantasies of slamming the creeps that say stuff like that.

STICK TO YOUR GUNS AND BROCCOLI, GIRL!!!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%

Goodness. Why are people so cruel. We are human. THis is such a release. Last night I called my Dad. My father is the sweetest person ever. He never really talked about my weight untill recently. He told me last night that he was not sending me chocolate (he does every valentines day since I was 18 and in college) because, well, I just don't need it. I have not told him nor anyone that I am on a diet. I only see my parents 2 times a year. Once when they come to Hawaii and once when I go to Texas to visit them. I know he ment well, but, it hurt anyway. I just want to show up this June and look GREAT! I am in a HORRIBLE stall though. I don't know what is wrong.

J
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:36

Plan: whole foods/low carbd
Stats: 240/220/159 Female 67
BF:35.1
Progress: 25%

Oahu here!!!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%

Big Island, Hilo side. Nice to meet you!

J
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 13:11

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%
Angry This thread is so triggering...

I hate it, but here goes...

It's a tie for me. One time in sixth grade when I first started gaining weight, a boy told me I was so ugly I should just kill myself. I always remembered that because the following year I tried. And after I failed, my dad knocked me for failing. If you're going to do it, do it he said. I vowed to myself to succeed the next time, and hopefully that never comes to pass. That being said, my sister once said, "don't worry about ever finding a boyfriend, nobody would even want to rape you." How the hell does it get much worse than that

BTW, this was all due to being the fat one in the family. And even at that, i was only about 20 pounds overweight. Fat is one thing that was never tolerated well in my family. Now my evil sis is heavier than me
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 15:41
Registered Member

Stats: 256/233/200 Male 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Or, (god willing)If I could have contained my violent ire, I would have responded, smiling with "thats ok, soon Ill be skinny and youll still be a pathetic immature A$$HOLE!. have another donut. " You BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah...at least someone vented like I wanted to but didn't...I would get booted.

He needed at least one glazed doughnut shoved down his throat

Overweight people can lose pounds...A$$holes and ugly dudes are branded for life!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 18:37

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Wow, this is a hard thread. Porbably the worst was a couple occassions that I ran into people and they asked if I was pregnant..then seemed to almost not believe me when I said no. And this happened in very public places.
My father was quite judgemental about my weight and made a lot of little hurtful comments. I remember overhearing him ask my mother why she couldn't do something about "her". I knew he was embarrassed to have an overweight daughter..it was very apparent.
Here is the thing I try not to think about too much. We are very close now. He makes an effort to go places with me and "show me off".If I let myself dwell on it it really bothers me that he loves me thin so much more than he did fat. That hurts.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 08:24

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I don't understand why someone would be embarressed about someone eles weight.

It reminds me of when I was in high school I talked to this one girl who was in one of my classes & and a friend that I was with asked me, after we walked off " why are you talking to her she's a gross nerd" I'm pretty sure the girl heard her remark. I was irritated at the time, but I really regretted not making a rude comment about her questioning me.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 10:35
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

This is a painful thread. All my life growing up my parents were weight obsessed. I would hear my father always commenting about other fat people when they weren't around and warn me never to get fat. My mother was always on my case making little comments to me here and there about how I shouldn't be eating things and how I need to challenge myself to stay under 900 calories a day. I remember once overhearing someone ask my mother why she was so hard on me about my weight when I wasnt fat and her response was that my weight is fine but she wanted to prevent me from gaining weight in the future. When I started putting on weight (150 pounds) my father would tell me that I would never be able to find a job or a boyfriend and that I should just roll around in the street.

After I gained all my weight I found out that my father was speaking to my landlord about me in public. I found out from my pharmacist who was shocked at the things my father would say but he didn't want to repeat them. After I lost a lot of weight on a low fat/starvation diet my father got me a size 6X dress (I was 115 pounds) and his note attached to the dress was just in case. I have never ever been a 6X. My father has done so many more things I can't even list them all. He even went so far as to say I wasnt his daughter because I was heavy. When I was 14 and a little chubby I went on a trip to visit some cousins I have in Israel and my father happened to be there at the same time. He took me across the border into Egypt (Sharm El Sheikh) and then left me there! I didnt speak the language, I had almost no money. He just stopped the car and told me I looked like a fat whore and no one would want me and then dragged me out and drove away. My mother had several thousand dollars of collect phone call bills as I was freaking out and hysterical. My father refused to pick me back up. My father is just an as**ole. Oh and he claims to be a religious man, that just sickens me.

My mother was 110 pounds for most of her life (at least till after the 5th kid) She would always talk about weight issues and how I needed to lose weight and her friends and mother (my grandmother) would always make comments to me about what I should or shouldn't be eating and asking me if I was on a diet etc. When I would lose a pound, all the praise I would get, you would think I won an Emmy or a gold metal. After I lost weight I was used as an example. To this day if I call my mother on the phone she asks how my diet is going and if I gained any weight. I was put on prednisone and my mother insisted I shouldn't take it, not because of its side effects but because I might gain weight. In fact I haven't seen my mother in a year now because I put on weight again and I just cant face seeing her and all the criticism I will get about how I let myself gain weight again. Its not enough I feel horrible enough about it myself I need to get it from everyone there, and then they all wonder why I never go visit.

The most painful comment I ever got wasnt even about my weight, it was about my PCOS. I got out of the shower and finished shaving (my face) and I wasnt able to put any cover up on because I was rushing out of the house to go get something from the mall. This happened when I was thin. Unfortunately when I shave there is just a tiny bit of black spots because my hair is black (I cant wax or tweeze anymore) it isnt really visible unless you are really close to my face. Anyway, this guy at the mall grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him to try and show me how his weird product worked and while I was pulling away in another language that I happen to understand he called his friend over and said something along the lines of come here and check this girl out, she has a beard. I was in such shock I didn't know what to do I just walked away and I had tears forming in my eyes (I am practically crying as I write this) and I just didn't speak at all for the next hour. I just sat in the car and my boyfriend kept asking me what happened and I couldn't even bring myself to repeat it. I just sat there and cried.